Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-27-2024, 04:35 PM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I was a relatively late adopter of ebooks, in 2011. The decision was made mostly because I had no more storage space for paper books. Before buying my first ebook with DRM (an omnibus edition only released digitally), I researched DRM, formats and calibre thoroughly and disinfected the book immediately after buying to make a backup copy. The same with all my subsequent purchases. So I never had a wake-up moment with DRM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:13 AM   #32
sails
sails began at the beginning.

Device: none
I seem to have discovered this issue a few months too late. My Nook battery is dying and I never downloaded the Windows PC app. I have been scouring the internet for the last two days trying to find an archived version of the file.

The Adguard option isn't working, but then I'm not confident that I'm using it correctly. Is someone willing to help check to see if it's still working and help me out?

Thank you kindly.
I got a hold of Calibre and have been researching Kobo and alternative ereaders, but I really do seem to have been just a few months too late to successfully back up all of my nook purchases. I'm beyond disheartened, I shouldn't have to pay more money to rebuild my entire library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTS View Post
Is anyone familiar with the website APPX4Fun? Is it legitimate? Safe? I stumbled across it and have never heard of it before.

They have the Nook for Windows app version 1.11.0.4 available for download. That's the version installed on my computer. Here's the link if anyone would like to check it out:

https://www.appx4fun.com/apps/54799/

On a side note, I'm curious if one can still log in to the app. By that, I mean if a user signs out (or installs the app and logs in for the first time) will it be possible to sign back in? Since B&N has discontinued the app, might it be possible they disabled new sign ins?

Update: Sorry to get any hopes up. I decided to try downloading the app from the site and check it with VirusTotal. Since there were two download buttons ("Download" and "Microsoft Store"), I thought the site hosted a copy of the file. Nope. I clicked Download and nothing happened.

However, it does seem the Nook app is downloadable from Adguard's Online Link Generator for Microsoft Store.

https://store.rg-adguard.net/

Again, my apologies if I caused any confusion.
sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2024, 01:13 PM   #33
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sails View Post
I seem to have discovered this issue a few months too late. My Nook battery is dying and I never downloaded the Windows PC app. I have been scouring the internet for the last two days trying to find an archived version of the file.

The Adguard option isn't working, but then I'm not confident that I'm using it correctly. Is someone willing to help check to see if it's still working and help me out?

Thank you kindly.
I got a hold of Calibre and have been researching Kobo and alternative ereaders, but I really do seem to have been just a few months too late to successfully back up all of my nook purchases. I'm beyond disheartened, I shouldn't have to pay more money to rebuild my entire library.
Try this:

1. Go to Adguard Online Link Generator:

2. Copy and paste the link the Microsoft store used for the Nook app in the search field and click the check mark:
https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9wzdncrfj33h

3. There should be a list of files. You want the one named:
BarnesNoble.Nook_1.11.0.4_x86__ahnzqzva31enc.appx

It's 50.94 MB in size. I right clicked on the link, then "save link as" to save a copy to my hard drive.

4. Double-click on the file to install. (Scan the file with your security software and/or upload it to VirusTotal if you're at all concerned about the source. Everything was clean when I did this in February.)

5. Open the Nook app. Log into your B&N account and download your books to your library.

6. To find the epubs on your computer, make sure hidden files are shown in Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\"YourUsername"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState

The epub files will have random numbers for the names.

7. If the files are DRM-protected, you should be able to drop them in Calibre with the proper plugins and free them. I'm not too savvy in that department, but others should be able to point you in the right direction if you have any questions there.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited by RWTS; 04-13-2024 at 01:21 PM.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:59 AM   #34
ehbowen
ehbowen began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTS View Post
Try this:

1. Go to Adguard Online Link Generator:

2. Copy and paste the link the Microsoft store used for the Nook app in the search field and click the check mark:
https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9wzdncrfj33h

3. There should be a list of files. You want the one named:
BarnesNoble.Nook_1.11.0.4_x86__ahnzqzva31enc.appx

It's 50.94 MB in size. I right clicked on the link, then "save link as" to save a copy to my hard drive.

4. Double-click on the file to install. (Scan the file with your security software and/or upload it to VirusTotal if you're at all concerned about the source. Everything was clean when I did this in February.)

5. Open the Nook app. Log into your B&N account and download your books to your library.

6. To find the epubs on your computer, make sure hidden files are shown in Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\"YourUsername"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState

The epub files will have random numbers for the names.

7. If the files are DRM-protected, you should be able to drop them in Calibre with the proper plugins and free them. I'm not too savvy in that department, but others should be able to point you in the right direction if you have any questions there.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Hi. I'm trying to back up my legitimately purchased Nook library for my own personal archival use. I attempted to follow the instructions you have above and successfully downloaded the file. However, when I attempted to install it I was told that the installer was unable to install dependencies. Where to from here?
ehbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:06 AM   #35
ehbowen
ehbowen began at the beginning.

Edit To Add: I think I found the answer. Along with the 50.4 MB download link for the main package there are also three other links which turn out to be the Visual C++ packages. I needed to install the x86 and x64 packs; there's also an arm package. Thanks for the point in the right direction.
ehbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 08:56 PM   #36
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Happy to hear you figured it out! This should be helpful information for others.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote