Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-12-2023, 09:08 PM   #1
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Sideloading to Glowlight 4 Plus

After a lot of indecision and back and forth with myself, I decided to go with the flush screen of the GL4+. I really like the reading experience. It is comfortable in my hand. I opted for a case and it appears to be well made.

However, when I tried to sideload some books, I ran into issues. When I plug in the cable, nothing happens. My windows 10 computer does not see the Nook at all. My computer is up to date and so is the Nook. I finally figured out that if I connect the Nook and then reboot the Nook, it will the appear in file explorer. However, unlike every other Nook I have ever had, it does not show as an external drive, but is listed as an internal drive. There is no way to eject the device as that option is not listed. I can however copy books to the Nook folder using file explorer.

Calibre cannot see the device until I do the reboot while connected trick. Once I do that, Calibre reports the device as Nook BNV1300. Then I get an error message that Calibre cannot access the device. I have looked in the Calibre forum and several others have reported the same issues but I don’t see any resolution.

Has anyone here found a way to transfer books to the GL4+ with Calibre?
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:11 AM   #2
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
Is your Calibre version up to date? It has recently been fixed for me. I do connect it to a Mac machine though.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:07 AM   #3
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, my Calibre is up to date.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:12 AM   #4
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
I'm also able to transfer books to the GL4+ via Calibre, but I'm on a Mac as well. When I was doing the steps downeaster59 posted about putting a different launcher on the GL4+ (because I wanted to use Moon+ Reader) I noticed that if I left USB debugging on, the GL4+ would register as a drive on my Mac but I couldn't transfer to it with Calibre. Maybe it would be worth turning USB debugging on to see if that changes the behavior on Windows. Here's the snippet from downeaster59's instructions that involves USB debugging:

Quote:
Step Two: Preparing Your Nook

Turn on your Nook. Tap the upper right hand corner. You should see the Quick Settings dropdown window. Tap “See All Settings”. Tap the lower right arrow to go to page 2. Tap “About”. Tap the small Nook/Barnes & Noble icon at least five times in rapid succession. You should see a new window appear with a number of options in rectangles. Tap “Android Development Settings”. Scroll down to USB Debugging and turn it on. Your Nook should be ready.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
cgsmom
Addict

Thanks, but that didn't help. I think it is because Windows does not see the Nook as a USB drive, but an Internal drive. I can copy books manually from my Calibre Library folder to the Nook folder using file explorer. It is a bit inconvenient, but it works.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #6
The_Enobee
The_Enobee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Unfortunately, my successful Calibre sideloading with a GL4+ was on a Mac as well. I recall there were some issues with the Calibre devs getting that working since the GL4+ uses MTP rather than USB protocol. I wonder if that's coming into play with how Win10 is recognizing the device.
The_Enobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 04:50 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Have you checked out the Calibre forum? You might find an answer there. If not, ask about it. The Calibre dev, Kovid Goyal, is very good about replying to Calibre issues.

I have a Mac as well, so I can't check things out on your behalf. I can tell you that the GL4+ is tricky to set up with Calibre as a rule.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:13 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Have you checked out the Calibre forum? You might find an answer there. If not, ask about it. The Calibre dev, Kovid Goyal, is very good about replying to Calibre issues.

I have a Mac as well, so I can't check things out on your behalf. I can tell you that the GL4+ is tricky to set up with Calibre as a rule.
The OP asked there. It seems there is no solution for Windows at this point.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 08:30 AM   #9
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I don't use Calibre nor File Explorer (which is using MTP).
But if you use Calibre you could just sync the local book directory to your device.
I use my adbsync.exe for Windows (in the sig) to sync my directories.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote