Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-31-2023, 06:34 PM   #1
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Question Show pages in chapter

My Kobo e-reader has the option to show, at the top of the screen (as I have it configured, anyway), the number of pages in the chapter (e.g., 3 of 6), while at the bottom it shows the pages in the book (or % read). My question isn't specific to Kobos; I'm just using this example.

The books I buy seem very inconsistent in how this is applied. For example, in one book with no chapters, the e-reader suddenly started showing page numbers halfway through the book (counting from that change). This was presumably because the book was split into two xhtml files. However, I haven't tracked down what the difference in the files was.

What EPUB feature determines whether the e-reader will/can show the number of pages in the chapter, and what the chapter/heading level is that it uses. For example, if I have an EPUB with headings at: Title, Section, and Chapter, what determines which is used?

I'm thinking it's something to do with which heading style <h1>, <h2>, etc. is used, and that it's something simple, but haven't figured it out.
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:33 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Overlord View Post
My Kobo e-reader has the option to show, at the top of the screen (as I have it configured, anyway), the number of pages in the chapter (e.g., 3 of 6), while at the bottom it shows the pages in the book (or % read). My question isn't specific to Kobos; I'm just using this example.
It mostly depends on the reader/app you are using.

Some count per EPUB, some count per file ("Chapter"), and some do other fancy heuristics (like headings/subheadings).

Many readers also allow the user to choose between different settings:

Pages/Screens vs. % of book/chapter vs. "Time Left to Read".

- - -

Then... it would depend on how the EPUB was built.

If the person built the EPUB poorly, and had the entire book in one ginormous file, well, the "per file" count wouldn't be able to work well!

Some ebooks, very rarely—and mostly Non-Fiction—even have RPNs (Real Page Numbers) built in, so your reader might even recognize + show those!

Quote:
For example, if I have an EPUB with headings at: Title, Section, and Chapter, what determines which is used?
I'm suspecting it's just per file.

So, if you'd open up the EPUB, you might see something like this:
  • Chapter01.xhtml
  • Chapter02.xhtml
  • Chapter03.xhtml

then, when the Kobo opens the EPUB, it'll just generate a "# of pages" for every file:
  • Chapter01.xhtml = 5 pages
  • Chapter02.xhtml = 10 pages
  • Chapter03.xhtml = 20 pages

Then, depending on which settings you chose on your device, it could show:
  • 5/5 = Chapter
  • 5/35 = Book
  • 14% = % of Book

Quote:
The books I buy seem very inconsistent in how this is applied. For example, in one book with no chapters, the e-reader suddenly started showing page numbers halfway through the book (counting from that change). This was presumably because the book was split into two xhtml files. However, I haven't tracked down what the difference in the files was.
I don't know. No way to tell unless you open up the ebook and look inside.

But it at least should've showed you the entire book's "page" count.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:54 PM   #3
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks very much. I've opened up a few inconsistent EPUBs to look inside, but can't figure out what's different between xhtml files that do show a chapter page count and those that don't. (The total page count always shows. I haven't changed my device settings.). I'll keep looking.

Last edited by Evil Overlord; 02-12-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:41 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Thanks very much. I've opened up a few inconsistent EPUBs to look inside, but can't figure out what's different between xhtml files that do show a chapter page count and those that don't. (The total page count always shows. I haven't changed my device settings.). I'll keep looking.
Maybe some of your epub3 or kepub books have a NAV page-list section. To check this simply open the NAV file and search for epub:type="page-list".
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 02:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you are reading KePub, you need to have an NCX ToC entry for every HTML file in the eBook.= in order to get the page counts to work properly.

As for your original question, it depends on the software and what features it has.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter, heading, pages