Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Soft hyphen

Yes or no?
Writing in Word I will, as a matter of reflex, insert a soft hyphen (Ctrl+hyphen) if I have a long word at the right edge.

Will this be automatically disregarded by en e-book conversion process? (I hope so). I realize that it won't be problem if I don't insert them but it is infuriatingly ingrained in me, and should I need to print out a manuscript at least it will look acceptable, whereas a line 2/3 its surrounding lines seems like an eyesore to me.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't use a soft-hyphen. Some Readers will display them (when they should not be displayed) and some won't work properly with them and some will have a broken search.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely no, for the reasons Jon mentions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guess I'll have to do a global search and replace. Thanks :thumbup:
Old 06-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
little and large
Enthusiast
little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
Good advice. Who knew? Well, we all do now.
little and large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Most of the books on word processing that I've seen, have all suggested against using hyphenation of any kind, especially in a non-WYSIWYG environment like an early word processor or an ePUB. They also suggest against using Full Justification, which is one of the reasons people end up needing hyphenation in the first place.

You just can't tell where the hyphen is going to end up if you can't tell where the line is going to break.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As a matter of interest, I'm currently reading a book on my Kindle PW2 which shows the perils of soft hyphenation. All the hyphens which were obviously originally inserted as soft hyphens are showing up as inappropriate normal hyphens in the text.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

That is exactly what I want to avoid, but it also looks ugly, at least to my eyes, when you have a 27 letter long word and the last letter pushes it to the next line.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fortunately, 27-letter words are rare in English. I can imagine it being a far greater problem in languages like German, which build up long compound nouns. Does Swedish also do this?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Yes, many compound nouns, sometimes three nouns combined into one. Makes for plenty of letters.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thankful I have never used a 27 long letter word in any of my text. That must look horrid on a cellphone screen!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a matter of interest, I'm currently reading a book on my Kindle PW2 which shows the perils of soft hyphenation. All the hyphens which were obviously originally inserted as soft hyphens are showing up as inappropriate normal hyphens in the text.
Doesn't the Calibre Plugin insert soft hyphens on every possible place in a word?

It never posed a problem on my Kindle PW1, and hyphens are displayed exactly where they should: only if a long word is broken up at the end of a line. (Of course, I can unhyphenate the books at any moment by having Hyphenate This remove all of them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Thankful I have never used a 27 long letter word in any of my text. That must look horrid on a cellphone screen!
It's normal practice in Dutch and German to have words like that.

For example:

Fire truck driver -> Brandweerwagenchauffeur
Police force commander -> Politiekorpscommandant

Consider this one:

Second hand book store employee -> Tweedehandsboekenwinkelmedewerker

Often, such a world will be avoided and rephrased as "medewerker in een winkel voor tweedehands boeken." (Employee working in a second hand book store.)

Splitting up the long word actually changes the meaning:

Tweedehandsboekenwinkelmedewerker = employee in a second hand book store
Tweedehands boekenwinkelmedewerker = the employee is working in a book store, and he is second hand himself.
Tweedehands boekenwinkel medewerker = the employee is working in a book store, and the book store itself is second hand.
Tweedehandsboekenwinkel medewerker = wrong spelling.

Sometimes, hyphenation can be very handy to have

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-11-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Soft hyphens seem to work on Kindles. But on other readers, sorry, big honking FAIL.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Soft hyphens seem to work on Kindles. But on other readers, sorry, big honking FAIL.
That could very well be the case. It's one of the reasons why I use a Kindle despite the very limited customization options: everything regarding the reading itself works perfectly, either on it's own, or when using calibre plugins (for the custom page numbers and hyphenation).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Fortunately, 27-letter words are rare in English. I can imagine it being a far greater problem in languages like German, which build up long compound nouns. Does Swedish also do this?
I read that Germans are increasingly using hyphens to separate very long words. It's called the English disease.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote