Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Battlefield Earth was just one word, I would give it 5-stars on Goodreads and highly recommend it on MR.
No you wouldn't. You'd complain about the price for such a short book and you'd condemn the ebook creator for the bloated code used to render that one word. And you know it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-11-2020 at 03:24 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Is the word you're referring to generally referred to as "the f word"?
Most assuredly!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Taking an eclectic and somewhat obscure tack, here:

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker
Oh yeah, I'd second The Great and Secret Show. It stands pretty well on its own from memory.

There is a sequel, Everville, which I liked not as much. Clive has been threatening a third book to complete the trilogy for 25 years. But I do think the first book is a satisfying single read.

Speaking of Clive, Weaveworld would also be a good suggestion.

There's also Imajica, a good fat dark fantasy from Clive, but I haven't read that one yet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:15 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm tempted to say the problem with Battlefield Earth (which I haven't read) is that at the point in life he wrote it, he was the messiah of a cult and didn't need to worry about editors.

I would say that. But I've read Fear, published in 1940 and that was middle of the road pulp schlock. I remember reading the first hundred pages or so of The Invaders Plan written forty-five years later and the writing was about the same. That more than the Scientology stuff is what has kept me away from Battlefield Earth.

On the other hand, Stephen King gave praise to Fear and lots of people genuinely enjoy Battlefield Earth, so maybe I'm just a boob missing out on a fun ride.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm tempted to say the problem with Battlefield Earth (which I haven't read) ...
Probably best to stop there.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Oh yeah, I'd second The Great and Secret Show. It stands pretty well on its own from memory.

There is a sequel, Everville, which I liked not as much. Clive has been threatening a third book to complete the trilogy for 25 years. But I do think the first book is a satisfying single read.

Speaking of Clive, Weaveworld would also be a good suggestion.

There's also Imajica, a good fat dark fantasy from Clive, but I haven't read that one yet.
Agreed, pretty much on all counts. I've read Imajica. And while I enjoyed it for the most part, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as The Great and Secret Show.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Probably best to stop there.
I know how it sounds. Maybe it would be better to say the problem with L. Ron. Hubbard, as I have read enough of his stuff to have an opinion of his writing style.

The reason I ventured an opinion on a book I haven't read is post #27, which sounds like my experience with The Invaders Plan, written immediately after Battlefield Earth by the same author.

I also do say that I could be wrong, shocking as it is for me to imagine.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #38
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This just showed up in my mailbox from Tor:

https://www.tor.com/2020/03/23/five-...al-distancing/

The comments at the bottom might give you more ideas.

Islandia looks interesting, but no ebook. Seems like it ought to be public domain since the author died in 1931?

Given my problem with series quality decreasing I'll pass on The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen at $80 on Amazon. Maybe I'll get the first one.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #39
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Islandia looks interesting, but no ebook. Seems like it ought to be public domain since the author died in 1931?
Wikipedia says it first came out in 1942, so it's... 17? years from public domain in the US if all the proper copyright renewal procedures were followed.

That said, there does appear to be a couple rather large unofficial ebook versions in pdf format. In life+(number less than 89? if I do my math correctly) countries it might be legal to download one of these.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:11 AM   #40
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

well over a 1000 pages.

I know most hate this book but I like it myself and have read it at least 3 times.

The movie, starring Travolta, has been considered by many as the worst movie ever made.
Not sure of the ebook but all of Hubbards printed books are published by a subsidiary of the Scientology "Church". IMO one of the biggest cons in so called religions and something I refuse to support in any way.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:27 AM   #41
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
One novel in 3 books. Island in the Sea of Time Trilogy - 3 Book Set - Against the Tide of Years, On the Oceans of Eternity, and Island in the Sea of Time. By S M Stirling. Good enough so I have reread it multiple times. I have it in Paperbacks, S F Club hardbacks and Kindle Ebooks.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
One novel in 3 books. Island in the Sea of Time Trilogy - 3 Book Set - Against the Tide of Years, On the Oceans of Eternity, and Island in the Sea of Time. By S M Stirling. Good enough so I have reread it multiple times. I have it in Paperbacks, S F Club hardbacks and Kindle Ebooks.
That was a series that I liked and have re-read several times.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #43
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That was a series that I liked and have re-read several times.
Add me to liking and rereading this series multiple times.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Not sure of the ebook but all of Hubbards printed books are published by a subsidiary of the Scientology "Church". IMO one of the biggest cons in so called religions and something I refuse to support in any way.
For Pete's sake, please stop with the religious drivebys. Take it to the politics/relgion section.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Moderator Notice
Members do not get to enforce the rules around here. Report posts that you feel violate Mobileread guidelines and then let others handle it. Do not presume to take matters into your own hands again.