Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #31
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Onyx
If you want to read adult, dark Harry Potter, Shadowlands is really good. I must try some more Straub. I'll try the Talisman methinks.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:54 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you want to read adult, dark Harry Potter, Shadowlands is really good. I must try some more Straub. I'll try the Talisman methinks.
Hum, there is more to Harry Potter than just some sort of Wizard School. Reading the blurb, Shadowland by Straub seems more like a traditional master/apprentice in a horror setting. IMPO, the attraction to the Harry Potter series was a combination of a sense of whimsy, plus more than anything, the enjoyable characters. They seemed more like people the reader might want to hang out with. So many of the would be Harry Potter knockoffs seem to forget the likable part of the equation.

On an aside, one way that I find new books to try is running across books that look interesting as I pull up books people recommend. For some reason, one of the books that came up when looking at Shadowland was Frederick Forsyth's The Fox. I really liked Forsyth's early books (Day of the Jackel, Dogs of War, Odessa File), and it was priced at a price where I said "why not". Heck, I didn't even know that Forsyth was still alive, much less still active.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #33
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum, there is more to Harry Potter than just some sort of Wizard School. Reading the blurb, Shadowland by Straub seems more like a traditional master/apprentice in a horror setting. IMPO, the attraction to the Harry Potter series was a combination of a sense of whimsy, plus more than anything, the enjoyable characters. They seemed more like people the reader might want to hang out with. So many of the would be Harry Potter knockoffs seem to forget the likable part of the equation.

On an aside, one way that I find new books to try is running across books that look interesting as I pull up books people recommend. For some reason, one of the books that came up when looking at Shadowland was Frederick Forsyth's The Fox. I really liked Forsyth's early books (Day of the Jackel, Dogs of War, Odessa File), and it was priced at a price where I said "why not". Heck, I didn't even know that Forsyth was still alive, much less still active.
Shadowlands is not a knock off. It was written long before. Perhaps you should try more than the blurb before writing it off. I suppose Amazon let's you look inside. The first pragrapgh should belie of your assumption. It is a great character work in its own right.

Apparenly Strugatskys Monday begins on Saturday is a very good soviet era adult Potter type precursor. Ive yet to read it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #34
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Do you have a link for that? Google is giving me world of warcraft stuff.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:38 AM   #35
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Do you have a link for that? Google is giving me world of warcraft stuff.
Shadowland, not Shadowlands.
Advert
Old 03-10-2020, 03:49 AM   #36
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Shadowlands is not a knock off. It was written long before. Perhaps you should try more than the blurb before writing it off. I suppose Amazon let's you look inside. The first pragrapgh should belie of your assumption. It is a great character work in its own right.

Apparenly Strugatskys Monday begins on Saturday is a very good soviet era adult Potter type precursor. Ive yet to read it.
I didn't say it was a Harry Potter knock off, I said it appeared to be more of a traditional Master/Apprentice story in a horror setting. I'm not a particular fan of horror oriented books.

The second part is my basic take on why I don't generally like Harry Potter/Wizard School knock offs.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #37
ekbell
Evangelist
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
In the sense that the magic on the Isle of Roke is a lot deeper are more dangerous and integral to the world than the magic at Hogwarts, in my opinion. I enjoy Harry Potter but Earthsea feels more loke "real" magic to me, I know that probably doesn't make sense. Plus, Gebbeth.
That might be partially because the 'world' in Harry Potter is more akin to a fun-house mirror of British society then anything else (from the ridiculousness of being *normal* while shoving an unwanted child in a cupboard to everything about the Ministry of Magic). It's hard for anything to feel integral to such a world.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #38
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Acer 10'' Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
That might be partially because the 'world' in Harry Potter is more akin to a fun-house mirror of British society then anything else (from the ridiculousness of being *normal* while shoving an unwanted child in a cupboard to everything about the Ministry of Magic). It's hard for anything to feel integral to such a world.
Heh! Very true! Don't get me wrong, I love HP, even though it wasn't a thing until I was in my 20s. I grew up with Earthsea and even spent summers in the area of the Pacific N.W. that was her inspiration for Earthsea's topography.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 03-10-2020 at 01:38 PM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Shadowlands by straub is awesome.
I love Peter Straub, but Shadowland just didn't do it for me. It's memorable, because Straub is such a good writer. But for me lots of the book felt like a slog.

I do think comparing it to Harry Potter is fair enough though.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote