Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
Cool Howard, Robert E: Savage Stories of Conan v1.00 May '08

Tsgreer did a great version of the collected Conan works from Robert E. Howard. I set out to create a Mobi version for those with a need for that format. Like Tsgreer, I grabbed the txt files of his works from Project Gutenberg Australia. This is my first eBook, so there may be some general errors in formatting or spelling.

Included stories are:

1.) The Phoenix on the Sword
2.) The Scarlet Citadel
3.) The Tower of the Elephant
4.) Black Colossus
5.) The Slithering Shadow
6.) The Pool Of The Black One
7.) Gods of the North
8.) Rogues in the House
9.) Shadows In The Moonlight
10.) Queen Of The Black Coast
11.) Conan - The Devil in Iron
12.) The People Of The Black Circle
13.) A Witch Shall Be Born
14.) Jewels of Gwahlur
15.) Conan - Beyond the Black River
16.) Shadows in Zamboula
17.) The Hour of the Dragon
18.) Red Nails
19.) The Hyborian Age

Much thanks to Tsgreer for inspiration!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Howard, Robert E - Savage Stories of Conan.mobi (1.26 MB, 2010 views)
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Thank you! Very nice
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Thanks, Spellbot!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:29 AM   #4
jtkenny_2006
jtkenny_2006 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
thanks a lot SPELLBOT. It looks very nice.....
jtkenny_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Thanks for the upload. I've started reading it and noticed some consistent errors:

- Some spurious paragraph breaks are introduced, specially noticeable when they occur in the middle of a character's speech.

- Em-dashes are not preserved, they're all converted to single hyphens (and there are some instances of a space before a hyphen/dash).

- Italics in the middle of the text are also not preserved.

Is there any possibility of having a new version or shall I re-create the book myself?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is that Book Designer was used and some of these stores started out as text files and Book Cleaner was not proper set-up.

When you load a text file into Book Designer, it can split paragraphs. Convert the text to RTF and then load and it'll be fine as far as the paragraphs go. HTML is also fine.

If Book Cleaner is not set properly, em dashes get converted to dashes.

As for the italics, might have to do with epigraphs. Not really sure on this one.

Jelby, I suggest you redo it as Spellbot 5000 has not been back since sometime in August.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-08-2008 at 08:52 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you checked to see if the paragraph breaks are correct in the PG Australia originals?

The reason I ask is that sometimes the error is in the original. At the moment I'm proof-reading Dickens' "Little Dorrit" (prompted by a superb TV adaptation of it which is currently being shown by the BBC). It has paragraph errors - literally dozens in every chapter - but they are in the PG original!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you checked to see if the paragraph breaks are correct in the PG Australia originals?
Yes, I did. The PGA text seems to be fine, and apparently all spurious paragraph breaks occur at "period-linebreak-uppercase" sequences in the .txt

The good news is, if I'm going to reformat it, I'm going to do it my way
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote