Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Braille e-books: Why can't you buy a budget e-reader?

Interesting article on the BBC website today regarding Braille e-readers and why they aren't as ubiquitous and cheap as sighted e-readers:

http:// http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27243376
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Interesting. Given the technology needed to "build" the points of the braille letters I am not surprised that they are not as cheap as ordinary e-readers. And ordinary e-readers my be useful for blind people too if they have the Text-to-Speech feature.

(Could you please fix your link?)
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Interesting article on the BBC website today regarding Braille e-readers and why they aren't as ubiquitous and cheap as sighted e-readers:
The reason why seems fairly self-evident: it's a very small market that it's not economically viable to produce device for. Even among blind people (themselves a small market) only a small minority can read braille.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #4
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Working link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27243376
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Interesting. Given the technology needed to "build" the points of the braille letters I am not surprised that they are not as cheap as ordinary e-readers.
Outing my ignorance here, but why is it considered to be a problem to create a braile "display" ?

At the most basic level, isn't all you need basically a huge dot matrix printer that doesn't immediately retract the pins? (And, of course, not have sharp points.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I am surprised by the low percentage of people using braille although I understand it is difficult to learn.

Another interesting article.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16984742

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Outing my ignorance here, but why is it considered to be a problem to create a braile "display" ?

At the most basic level, isn't all you need basically a huge dot matrix printer that doesn't immediately retract the pins? (And, of course, not have sharp points.)
I'm afraid I'm as ignorant as you are. I was referring to this quote from the bbc-link:

Quote:
It uses software-controlled heat to expand paraffin waxes in its screen, turning the material from liquid to solid and in turn controlling which of its 6,000 Braille dots are raised.
and I've understood it that the software had to heat the paraffin for every page anew.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
God forbid I lose my sight, I'm sure I'd stick with audiobooks. They're working well for me now, I'd rely on them even more then.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
This looks like a great invention for the blind
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle Fire HDX has Text to Speech available on most eBooks. That should satisfy blind folks need for eBooks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Kindle Fire HDX has Text to Speech available on most eBooks. That should satisfy blind folks need for eBooks.
Not sure what you are saying here.
The sighted have many ways to read books but the blind folks should be satisfied with one? Is the HDX really that great for blind folks? Can they quickly select a book and start reading, buy or borrow online unaided, or most of the things we take for granted? Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Helen
Old 05-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Not sure what you are saying here.
The sighted have many ways to read books but the blind folks should be satisfied with one? Is the HDX really that great for blind folks? Can they quickly select a book and start reading, buy or borrow online unaided, or most of the things we take for granted? Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Helen
They can, just as easily as they can with an iPad or an iPhone...Not that I believe that "blind folks should be satisfied with one" way to read, but yes...the blind can use the HDX unaided.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
They can, just as easily as they can with an iPad or an iPhone...Not that I believe that "blind folks should be satisfied with one" way to read, but yes...the blind can use the HDX unaided.

Shari
Well the very few blind people I know are always amazing me with how they manage. My aunt has a device that reads from CDS and she can order them and insert them etc. How she knows which one is which is beyond my knowledge as she has asked me to read titles and line them up for her etc. but I know that she has in some way managed without help at times.

Just to be clear, you are saying that someone who is completely blind can order a HDX and unbox it, order a book and start reading eventually? No help, no computer, no prior experience? I am sure it would be more difficult but if this is at all possible, I will look into it and order one for my aunt.

Helen
Old 05-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Your aunt would need someone to turn voice guide on for her - it doesn't come turned on by default. In fact, I've heard of people accidentally turning it on, and they can't figure out how to turn it off.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Your aunt would need someone to turn voice guide on for her - it doesn't come turned on by default. In fact, I've heard of people accidentally turning it on, and they can't figure out how to turn it off.
Interesting. Is it pretty straightforward after that? With practice how long would it take to get a new book and stat reading. My aunt is 85 but she is pretty good at this kind of thing. And how is the quality of the TTS. She is used to audio books which vary widely but would have to be as good as a mediocre audio book I think.

Helen