Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
cubes123
cubes123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Skip chapters in one move?

I really love Kindle Touch's ability to swipe up/down to switch chapters easily because I reread books a lot and would rather jump to the good parts.

I tried Paperwhite but it took several more steps to jump to chapters, so I went back to my Touch.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion on an e-reader that can skip chapters with one move? Or if that's non-existent, any tips on how you skip chapters while reading?

Last edited by cubes123; 03-28-2017 at 09:39 AM.
cubes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried using the "page flip" facility on more modern Kindles?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
cubes123
cubes123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, that's what I was referring to in Paperwhite (bought it a few months ago). Like I said, it's not as fast as the old Kindle where it's just one swipe, especially when skipping multiple chapters in search for the right one.
cubes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just go to the ToC. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was thinking the same, but that's not what the OP was looking for.

There's the double arrows (>>) on the Kobo Footer, but that's not the same as what they described on Kindle.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-29-2017 at 01:37 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I believe that introduces another problem (for kepubs): the page number is incorrect until you go to the home screen.

Plus it is either 3 or 4 taps. Zodwollops would be 2 or 3 taps.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I believe that introduces another problem (for kepubs): the page number is incorrect until you go to the home screen.

Plus it is either 3 or 4 taps. Zodwollops would be 2 or 3 taps.
3 taps to get to the ToC.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
With the Kindle Paperwhite 2 and above (not sure about PW1) you should be able to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the "page flip" screen that Harry refers to. Then you just need to tap on the arrows at the bottom of the screen to skip forward or backward chapter by chapter.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
3 taps to get to the ToC.
One tap to bring up the menu
Maybe one tap to get to the Chapter/page menu
One tap on "Table of contents"
One tap on the chapter (or maybe two if you need to advance to the next page)

So either three, four, or five taps to advance to the next chapter using the ToC.

How are you counting?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
One tap to bring up the menu
Maybe one tap to get to the Chapter/page menu
One tap on "Table of contents"
One tap on the chapter (or maybe two if you need to advance to the next page)

So either three, four, or five taps to advance to the next chapter using the ToC.

How are you counting?
I was counting how many taps to get to the ToC.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
In fairness to the OP (although I can't say I'd ever use it like them), I can completely understand how it might be easier to swipe 5 times to jump ahead 5 chapters than doing 3 taps to get to the same place via the TOC. Less thinking and easier do the taps than finding the right spot in the TOC. This is one of those cases where something that might seem easier/faster (going to TOC) might not actually be easier/faster in real use.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
What? I've never of a page numbering problem related to the ToC and fixed by visiting the home screen.

There was a problem if you changed from per-chapter page numbering to per-book page numbering. At one time you needed to close and reopen the book to have this work properly. But, whenever I have done this recently, it worked with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:20 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What? I've never of a page numbering problem related to the ToC and fixed by visiting the home screen.

There was a problem if you changed from per-chapter page numbering to per-book page numbering. At one time you needed to close and reopen the book to have this work properly. But, whenever I have done this recently, it worked with no problems.
Try this, using a kepub generated by Calibre, and full book page numbers:

I'm reading (in the middle of a chapter), I'm on page 138 of 527.
Bring up the ToC and pick the next chapter: My page number is now page 127 of 527.
Page forward a couple of times, and my page count goes up from 127, I stop on page 129.
Go to Home, re-select the book, and my page is now 148.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Bring up the ToC and pick the next chapter: My page number is now page 127 of 527.
Page forward a couple of times, and my page count goes up from 127, I stop on page 129.
Do you have all of the different flows in the NCX ToC?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Sorry, I can't reproduce this. I put a kepub on the device with 674 pages. I paged forward a bit and it counted correctly. Then I skipped to the next chapter and it incremented as expected. Page forward some more, close the book and reopened it and the page number was the same as when I closed it.

I also used the page slider to randomly pick a spot in the middle of the book and tried again. I didn't see any problems with the page numbering.

Some weird page numbering can happen if every file in the book isn't in the ToC or there are multiple ToC entries for a file. That might explain what you are seeing. If so, it isn't strictly a bug. This is against what specs Kobo have published for kepubs, so the behaviour is undefined.

In any case, we've wandered off topic for the thread, and we should move to the Kobo forum for any further discussion.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote