Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Tune Tune
Tune Tune began at the beginning.

Device: KIndle Paperwhite
Problems with Kindle Paperwhite

My brandnew Kindle paperwhite can not read doc files! I pasted some doc files, prc files and pdf files into the Kindle paperwhite but only the prc and pdf files were recognized. I was so sure that these doc files were not damaged, they were only a little big in size (about 15 Mb each doc file). I also could not customise fonts to make letters bigger when I was reading pdf files. Only the fonts of prc files were able to be customised.

The screen of my Kindle paperwhite reflects a pinkish color when the built-in light is turned on. Is this phenomenon normal? Anybody please give me some advices to solve these frustrated problems. Thanks a lot! (

P/s: since my country is so far away from america, I would like to be able to solve these problems without sending it back to amazon (
Tune Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Perhaps your "DOC" Files are not 100% compatible with the Kindle.
You could just convert them with Calibre to a compatible format.

PDF is no eBook format. Its a document format to electronically save the original appearence of a document.
Just convert PDFs to a eBook format and you can use them like an eBook.

I don't know about the lights. Could be a broken device.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Tune Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLausPetersen View Post
Perhaps your "DOC" Files are not 100% compatible with the Kindle.
You could just convert them with Calibre to a compatible format.

PDF is no eBook format. Its a document format to electronically save the original appearence of a document.
Just convert PDFs to a eBook format and you can use them like an eBook.

I don't know about the lights. Could be a broken device.
All of my pdf files are about biotechnology, immunology, chemistry and other scientific majors. I tried to convert these files into mobi files like prc but all of them became chaotic since the old formats were broken into terrible format. It means that when I tried to convert pdf to prc using Calibre, all of images and letters in the output prc files became chaotic they did not suit each other anymore

I am a newbie to Kindle, and I don't know how to solve May you please instruct me?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune Tune View Post
All of my pdf files are about biotechnology, immunology, chemistry and other scientific majors. I tried to convert these files into mobi files like prc but all of them became chaotic since the old formats were broken into terrible format. It means that when I tried to convert pdf to prc using Calibre, all of images and letters in the output prc files became chaotic they did not suit each other anymore

I am a newbie to Kindle, and I don't know how to solve May you please instruct me?
This thread might help with the PDFs, as it links to software that will process the PDFs into new PDFs better suited to your Kindle's display area.

For Word Docs, I think you need to email them to your Kindle through the Amazon servers. I don't think the Kindle reads Word documents natively.

There have been some reports of problems with the Kindle Paperwhite display showing faintly coloured patches with the light on. It seems to be a hardware problem, so the only solution would be a replacement.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
My brandnew Kindle paperwhite can not read doc files!
Nope, it can't. From the PW product page:

Quote:
Content Formats Supported
Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I don't think the kindle has ever supported doc files. I've always had to save them as html and them convert them to mobi.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I don't think the kindle has ever supported doc files.
Nope it hasn't, not natively. You've always been able to email doc's to the personal document service for conversion though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Convert to Word files.

Quote:
My brandnew Kindle paperwhite can not read doc files! I pasted some doc files, prc files and pdf files into the Kindle paperwhite but only the prc and pdf files were recognized. I was so sure that these doc files were not damaged, they were only a little big in size (about 15 Mb each doc file). I also could not customise fonts to make letters bigger when I was reading pdf files. Only the fonts of prc files were able to be customised.

The screen of my Kindle paperwhite reflects a pinkish color when the built-in light is turned on. Is this phenomenon normal? Anybody please give me some advices to solve these frustrated problems. Thanks a lot! (

P/s: since my country is so far away from america, I would like to be able to solve these problems without sending it back to amazon (
Convert all those files to Word format and then email them to your PW using the email address at your Manage Your Kindle page at Amazon.. It works perfectly for me that way.

Turn your PW light up to level 22 of the possible 24, use good anbient light and all colors get flushed away. Folks having color problems use low ambient light and low PW light levels.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Tune Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This thread might help with the PDFs, as it links to software that will process the PDFs into new PDFs better suited to your Kindle's display area.

For Word Docs, I think you need to email them to your Kindle through the Amazon servers. I don't think the Kindle reads Word documents natively.

There have been some reports of problems with the Kindle Paperwhite display showing faintly coloured patches with the light on. It seems to be a hardware problem, so the only solution would be a replacement.
Using the k2pdfopt to convert biotechnology pdfs also makes these files broken into terrible formats I dragged these pdf files to the icon k2pdfopt.exe then "enter", and the results were files that had images and text broken and separated to each other, thus the contents became hard to understand

I am not good at this field, please suggest some advices!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Using the k2pdfopt to convert biotechnology pdfs also makes these files broken into terrible formats I dragged these pdf files to the icon k2pdfopt.exe then "enter", and the results were files that had images and text broken and separated to each other, thus the contents became hard to understand

I am not good at this field, please suggest some advices!
Unfortunately, although an amazingly clever bit of software, k2pdfopt is not a drag&drop kind of program. It no doubt does its best, but a bit of manual tweaking is usually needed to get the best results. This is going to either need someone to write a clever front end so that you can adjust options easily and see the result, or it's going to need a bit of reading and experimentation on your part with the command line and command line options.

Once you're got some options sorted out that work with your kind of PDFs, you should find that they need little or no adjustment from PDF to PDF.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Tune Tune

Oops ( so that I have no choice but continue reading PDFs with tiny letters which can not be customised fonts on Kindle paperwhite's screen (

Anyway, thank you so much for your explanation.

I also heard that we should not use the Kindle while it is charging because this action will lead to shorten battery life. Just using the Kindle after the charging is ended. Is it true anybody? (
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I also heard that we should not use the Kindle while it is charging because this action will lead to shorten battery life. Just using the Kindle after the charging is ended. Is it true anybody? (
I can't think of any way that this could be true.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At least try reading PDF's in landscape mode, it should be much more usable that way.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you really want to convert PDF files to Kindle format, first subscribe here to Adobe Export for $ 20.00 per year:

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/s...S|e|9201585503

Then send your resulting Word file after your own editing to your Kindle using the email address on the Manage Your Kindle page at Amazon.

That will give you a perfect Kindle file allowing Kindle fonts, highlighting, notes, bookmarks, etc.

From that Adobe page:

"Adobe ExportPDF makes the most of richly formatted PDF files with the ability to preserve paragraphs, tables, images, and even multi-column text."

I just made a copy of this post myself in MS OneNote just in case I have to do the same thing with a really necessary PDF file.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Sirmaru is the adobe software any good? I have a few hundred PDFs (just text with the odd picture, no tables or graphs or anything complicated) I'd love to convert properly into word files, and $20 would be cheap for that ability.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote