Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
geemel
geemel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unhappy Factory reset doomed my eReader?

I've had my Touch N905 for 7 years and it worked great until this week, when wifi suddenly stopped working. Long story short I did a factory reset and reloaded all my books, etc but the firmware would not update from the original version. The update seemed to download but would not install. I got an error message each time saying there was a network error.

I've done two more factory resets since (paper clip method and using the button in settings menu) with the same result. Kobo customer support said it can't be fixed and I need a new device. I find that hard to believe - my device works but is stuck on old firmware. I don't have much experience with software but if anyone can point me in the direction of some instructions I have lots of patience!! Thanks in advance.
geemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:10 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You could try downloading the firmware and manually copying it to your Touch. See the Kobo Firmware Releases wiki for information.

If you are correct in having a N905 (either N905 or N905B), the last supported firmware release was 4.5.9587. The Mark 3 firmware can be downloaded from Kobo at Kobo Mark 3 firmware 4.5.9587. But double check your device -- the N905C (Touch Low Cost) uses the Mark 4 firmware.

To use the firmware, unpack the downloaded .zip file and copy the contents (the upgrade directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files) into the .kobo directory on your Touch.

If this doesn't work, it is possible that your internal storage is having issues and may need to be replaced. See the Kobo Touch : Need SD card image thread in the Developer's Forum for more help.

Good luck!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote