Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Question Best Kobo Aura One Cases

What Kobo KA1 covers do you recommend, and where do you buy them?

I’ve had a KA1 for a year now. Then I bought a KA1 LE and gave my daughter the KA1. When I did, I gave her the Moko portfolio case I had on it. Turns the Kobo on and off via magnet. Guards the corners. Looked great. The trouble is that I can’t find them for sale anymore on Amazon. Well, there’s one for sale, but it has an artsy tree design which doesn’t appeal to me. Last year, Moko had a dozen designs. Obviously, they didn’t sell well. http://mokodirect.com doesn’t even list them for sale anymore. What IS for sale on Amazon are these cheap Chinese cases that smell horrible. I picked one up, but the stink gets on my hands.

I’ve seen Kobo’s own case. It’s $50 and supports tabletop reading. Neither of those appeal to me. What do you have on your KA1?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
rayliam
rayliam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One Limited, Nook Simple Touch, Samsung Tablet
I got this one:kwmobile Flip Case for Kobo Aura ONE

It looks nice and feels nice to me but sadly the sleep/wake function does not work properly. At least it didn't smell horrible. I'm also shopping for another case too.
rayliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Below is a lengthy thread with lots of options.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=aura+case
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Below is a lengthy thread with lots of options.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=aura+case
Thanks! I did a search, but didn’t find that thread. I thought it was strange there was no mammoth thread on the subject already.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayliam View Post

It looks nice and feels nice to me but sadly the sleep/wake function does not work properly. At least it didn't smell horrible. I'm also shopping for another case too.
Thanks. I’ve seen quite a few of those types of cases on Amazon, but was concerned they’d scuff the face of the reader with the metal clasp. What has been your experiences with that clasp?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
rayliam
rayliam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One Limited, Nook Simple Touch, Samsung Tablet
The metal clasp never touches the reader as far as I can tell. There is a slight lip that goes around the perimeter of where the Aura one snaps into the case. Also, the metal is really smooth but it does have a bit of a sharp corner on the outer edge that can catch your finger. However, I haven't been cut yet or anything but it is noticeable. The sharp corner will most likely never come in contact with the screen unless you just severely bent/folded the cover.

I turned the sleep cover function back on just to see it again and I think the problem is that the magnet is way too strong so when you flip the cover open and flip it back, it puts the Aura one back to sleep. As long you shove your hand between holding the reader and the cover so that the magnet doesn't engage, the Aura One will remain awake. But it's less than ideal. I'm still looking for another cover or maybe some kind of magnetic shielding tape to cover the metal when the cover is folded over to the backside.
rayliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayliam View Post

Regarding the kwmobile Flip Case--I bought one for my Aura One and had the same problem others have posted about--the "sleep cover" turns the reader off when the case is folded back on itself--which is the way I normally hold my reader in the case when reading.

I was able to solve this problem by putting a very thin sheet of magnetic shielding inside the back cover before snapping the reader in place. I got the magnetic shielding from e-bay at a fairly reasonable price ($3.50 + $3.75 shipping in the US). Looks like the vendor is still selling it if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hipernom-8-...item2a8f135e6e
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Regarding the kwmobile Flip Case--I bought one for my Aura One and had the same problem others have posted about--the "sleep cover" turns the reader off when the case is folded back on itself--which is the way I normally hold my reader in the case when reading.

I was able to solve this problem by putting a very thin sheet of magnetic shielding inside the back cover before snapping the reader in place. I got the magnetic shielding from e-bay at a fairly reasonable price ($3.50 + $3.75 shipping in the US). Looks like the vendor is still selling it if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hipernom-8-...item2a8f135e6e
That's a great tip! Thanks!

Thanks, too, Rayliam for that excellent review.