Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
IluvToRead
Enthusiast
IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox m92 - Kindle 4
Breathing New Life into my m92

Hi Everyone, recently I just replaced the SD and the battery on my m92.

Works well.

The new card is double the speed of the old card.

The new battery is (apparently 2500mA) as opposed to the 1600mA of the old battery.

I don't know how this will play out in the future.

I did have a few issues with the battery regarding its smaller size. There was a connector that I displaced accidentally by incorrectly installing the batter.

It was easy to fix things up and push the connector back on.

I just stuck the battery in with some blue tack.

Anyway ... I bought my m92 in 2013 and its still working.

If the m92 died, I would buy a Max 3. Recently I bought a Max 3 for one of my kids because they went to university.

I would like something like the Max 3 (as powerful), but with 300ppi and page turn buttons.

See what happens in the future.

I think that's the thing with eInk readers is that they last a long time.

Anyway ... whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200225-NewCard-Sandisk-SDHC-UHS-I-U1-0002.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	177873   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200225-NewCard-Sandisk-SDHC-UHS-I-U1-0008.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	177874   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200305-OnyxBoox-m92-Battery-0005.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	177876   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200305-OnyxBoox-m92-Battery-0006.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	177877  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20200305-OnyxBoox-m92-Battery-0002.pdf (1.95 MB, 571 views)
IluvToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:19 AM   #2
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
thanks. can you add a link to the site for the battery?
does this battery fit exactly?
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 AM   #3
IluvToRead
Enthusiast
IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298...56944c4dZhPXEn

The new battery I bought is a bit smaller. Just a bit. So I needed to stick it in with blue-tack.

There are other batteries too, go to google. Use this as a search string.

site:www.aliexpress.com battery onyx boox m92

I got ...

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAU&uact=5

Whatever.

So far, it seems to have good life. Obviously, I haven't exhausted it, and re-charged it.

See what happens.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:35 AM   #4
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Nice save

Good job, IluvToRead! It's nice to see older devices get a new life. Very often, they are still perfectly capable of doing their job, and we don't need more electronics waste in the landfills.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
IluvToRead
Enthusiast

Yeah, I am one of those people that does not like to waste money on new things.

That said. My first child started uni in 2018, and I bought that child a Max 2 Pro.

My second child started uni in 2020 and I bought that child a Max 3, and I'm having serious cravings to buy myself a Max 3.

Like serious cravings.

I'm doing uni myself (I'm the father). Reading is very important to me, so I'm having serious Max 3 cravings issues.

I may not be able to hold out.

My previous logic was to wait until a an A4 size with 300 ppi comes out.

I just don't know.
Advert
Old 04-07-2020, 04:36 AM   #6
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Thank you @IluvToRead for the informations. I could save my old M92.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
I'd like to bring new life into my M92 too. Some months ago it got broken and I don't know what the problem is. I attach a picture so you will understand hopefully.
Do you think it is the screen that is broken ?

pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:55 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochopsp View Post
I'd like to bring new life into my M92 too. Some months ago it got broken and I don't know what the problem is. I attach a picture so you will understand hopefully.
Do you think it is the screen that is broken ?

It looks very much as if the eInk module of the screen was broken.
But to be able to see it exactly, I would need a much more detailed picture.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
It is either 1) the screen is physically broken or 2) the screen controller (a chip) has failed. If it wasn't for the wavy lines, I'd say 2. I don't know. Other people on these boards will be able to tell you. Either way, I'm not sure if you could get it repaired. You could try Onyx or maybe Booxter, but it will cost. It probably wouldn't be worth it as the M92 is an old model.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

What you say it't true, but I am a bit low on budget, and for my university studies I need a eBook Reader which is at least 9.7 inches size. So my chances are: repair this or find another one for 250€ maximum... (used will be good too).

@ottischwenk what kind of picture do you need? I can provide you one.

Thanks guys for your help

Last edited by pochopsp; 06-11-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:58 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What you say it't true, but I am a bit low on budget, and for my university studies I need a eBook Reader which is at least 9.7 inches size. So my chances are: repair this or find another one for 250€ maximum... (used will be good too).
€ 250 will hardly be possible.
Quote:
@ottischwenk what kind of picture do you need? I can provide you one.
I need a photo pixel of at least 2000 pixels.
Photographed from above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	179861  
Old 06-12-2020, 04:35 AM   #12
pochopsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
€ 250 will hardly be possible.I need a photo pixel of at least 2000 pixels.
Photographed from above.
https://ibb.co/KVxmSjC
https://ibb.co/xHYP3Vx
https://ibb.co/LYg6CT2
https://ibb.co/HF0wstz

I hope these pics will be helpful. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I can't see a direct break, but the light streaks coming down from above in the dark speak for one.
I think buying a new one is cheaper than repairs.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #14
pochopsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I can't see a direct break, but the light streaks coming down from above in the dark speak for one.
I think buying a new one is cheaper than repairs.
Thank you for your opinion, I think it will be very useful. I don't know, maybe my only choice is to buy a 7.8 inches ebook , or repair this one... Is there anybody who owns a 7.8 inches eBook Reader who use it to study ? I'd like to know if they are satisfied with it or if it is too small for their needs
Old 06-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you for your opinion, I think it will be very useful. I don't know, maybe my only choice is to buy a 7.8 inches ebook , or repair this one... Is there anybody who owns a 7.8 inches eBook Reader who use it to study ? I'd like to know if they are satisfied with it or if it is too small for their needs
7.8 inch devices have the same screen resolution as 10.3 inch devices.
Now it depends on the eyesight whether you can see a closer device just as well.
I have both - I use the 7.8 inch in the normal case, the 10.3 inch when I have to be further away from the device (e.g. piano notes).
Although we are here in the Boox Forum, I recommend Likebook devices - they can use SD cards and are superior in handling USB OTG.
For studying, I can only recommend Notes devices - with the Likebook Ares you can write handwritten comments, underlines, .... in PDF files with the Wacom pen. Price ~ € 300 - Amazon.de