Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 01:05 AM   #16
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
I'm interested in the Note Pro for the backlight but have questions about the durability of a glass screen which Note 2 also has.
No eInk device can be backlit. The light is directed from one side via a light guide film from the front onto the eInk module and is then reflected back. It is illuminated from the front
And the 10.3 eInk modules are not made of glass, but flexible.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:15 AM   #17
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No eInk device can be backlit.
Thanks. That was a mistake, I'm habituated to spelling back light. I'd not want a back lit ereader if they were possible (and no sour grapes about it!).
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:38 AM   #18
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
I ended up buying a second hand Note 1 (plastic screen) - $240 USD. Had it about a week and have just put on a screen protector (and about half a dozen bubbles).

It already had a few slight horizontal grooves worn into the screen from the prev owner pressing the pen (though they told me there were no scratches!)

My reflections are:

It's really quite light - this is great.
I don't mind not having a front light
I saved about $100 by getting 2nd hand Note 1 rather than ... Note Pro.

However, Note one run the Android 6 version of Onyx OS which means you can't open two documents simultaneously, this is a bit of a bummer (though I've made a work around) - I believe this deficiency is also true of the Note Pro.

Secondly, I don't think the flexible display feels like paper, and though I do like the way it visibly presses in, in short I'm not sure I'd prefer it to glass. Also, I've begun to be convinced that the glass screen is not such a liability as it was on earlier devices.

My conclusion: Adding up all the pros n cons, if I were buying again, personally I'd search harder for a cheap Note 2.

Last edited by deleted; 04-02-2020 at 04:46 AM.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
note, note 2, onyx boox note, pro