Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #46
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
For me....the iPhone became "good enough" sometime around the 4s-5s. Ever since, it's the camera that has inspired my upgrades.

I'm on the X...and didn't upgrade to the 10s. I'm looking real hard at the 11 Pro. The 11 is a no brainer upgrade for my wife and kids who are still rocking 6s's.

If I were buying Android....I would NOT be buying a 5g phone. Too pricey, typical first gen battery issues. And, well, Android.

I may or may not upgrade this year but i'm not one bit concerned about 5g.
Yea, different strokes for different folks. The biggest thing that drives my upgrades has been on device storage. That became good enough for me when it hit 256 GB with the iPhone 8 plus. When I do decide to upgrade, I will likely get the 512 GB model. I am thinking about getting the 1TB big iPad Pro, but that's more of a whim than anything else.

I do use my iPhone camera, but mostly because the camera one has on them is better than the camera they don't. If I plan to take pictures, I carry my digital camera.

As far as 4G verses 5G, with LTE, I currently get 55 Mbps download speed and 160 Mbps download speed with WiFi. Yea, that's more than good enough for streaming just about anything I want to stream. I do agree that 5G is going to be mostly a urban thing for a number of years, but then again, I live in an urban area. It's not going to be just super high rise apartments and condos, but it is going to be a lot like the 1 GB data speed in that it's going to be built out slowly.

The slow speed of the build out in urban areas is more working the bugs out and a chicken and egg thing, i.e. you need 5G devices to justify building the network, but need the network to get manufacturers to put out 5G devices. Up until this year, 5G was purely used to provide home internet without pulling wire, with no real advantage for the consumers.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #47
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tomorrow is roll out day for iOS 13. I don't expect to get the full benefit until Catalina rolls out, but I will likely go ahead and upgrade when it shows up on my phone and iPad.

For me the primary enhancement is unifying the way audiobooks are handled in Catalina and iOS 13. I've been using the audible app for audiobooks for the last several months, but will likely switch to the Books app if I can manage it on my main desktop.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #48
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Tomorrow is roll out day for iOS 13. I don't expect to get the full benefit until Catalina rolls out, but I will likely go ahead and upgrade when it shows up on my phone and iPad.

For me the primary enhancement is unifying the way audiobooks are handled in Catalina and iOS 13. I've been using the audible app for audiobooks for the last several months, but will likely switch to the Books app if I can manage it on my main desktop.
non audible audio books?
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #49
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm awaiting AR to be something I will be using. The amazing A series chips will really come into their own when they have tasks that show them off. I'm not sure there is any current use that brings out the difference between the latest iPhones and latest Androids in ways that's obvious.

I don't game that much so I am not experiencing any special that the iPhone is probably already giving.

Of course, the AR glasses! Bring them on Apple.

I am fairly excited to try both the Arcade+ and Tv+ services. I was shocked they were priced at $5 per month. I'll do my "binge on one platform, then unsubscribe and subscribe to the next" technique. Netflix and Amazon Prime are permanent residents....the rest are "one at a time".

I liked News+ but didn't use it enough.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #50
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yea, different strokes for different folks. The biggest thing that drives my upgrades has been on device storage. That became good enough for me when it hit 256 GB with the iPhone 8 plus. When I do decide to upgrade, I will likely get the 512 GB model. I am thinking about getting the 1TB big iPad Pro, but that's more of a whim than anything else.
Does any of this change for you because iOS13 works with external storage? What do you use the storage for?
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #51
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
non audible audio books?
Pretty much all my audio books are from audible. The only exception are the Harry Potter audiobooks. iTunes/books handles them just fine, although you do have to authorize your copy of iTunes/books on the mac. You have to go through a mac to load them into books on your iDevice though.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #52
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does any of this change for you because iOS13 works with external storage? What do you use the storage for?
No, not really. I use the storage to keep whatever I want to keep on my iPhone/iPad for those times where they are not connected to the web. I have my entire eBook collection on my iPad, along with a fair amount of music (I use Apple Music, but download various playlist), a collection of audiobooks and several years worth of magazine subscriptions (both zinio and PDF's). On the iPhone, I keep music, my "next up" audiobooks (a group of around 10-12 audiobooks) and various podcasts. I'm not particularly close to the limit on either device.

More space is more important on the iPhone simply because I'm more likely to want to listen to music or audiobooks somewhere that doesn't have wifi connectivity, such as in the car. Even in an urban area, coverage can be a bit spotty at times. Since I do like to go backpacking, I tend to go through a fair number of low coverage areas.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm hoping for 3rd party keyboards for the new 10.2" iPad as Apple's keyboard is rather expensive. I do want to get a new iPad. I'll have to go for the 128GB model as 32GB is not enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #54
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Pretty much all my audio books are from audible. The only exception are the Harry Potter audiobooks. iTunes/books handles them just fine, although you do have to authorize your copy of iTunes/books on the mac. You have to go through a mac to load them into books on your iDevice though.
What don’t you like about the Audible app? Just curious
Old 09-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #55
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm hoping for 3rd party keyboards for the new 10.2" iPad as Apple's keyboard is rather expensive. I do want to get a new iPad. I'll have to go for the 128GB model as 32GB is not enough.
I spring for the new iPad mini this spring. Love it. I’m holding out for my job to buy me an iPad Pro some day. I bought my own iPad Air 2 when it first came out and replaced it with the mini. I like the smaller screen for my use cases
Old 09-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What don’t you like about the Audible app? Just curious
No playlist and no way to organize books. The apparent assumption with the Audible app is that people buy a book, immediately list to that specific book, then discard it. That might even be the norm for most listeners, but it really isn't the way that I work.

For years, I managed my audiobooks in playlist via iTunes and that worked great for me. Then Apple moved audiobooks from iTunes to the iBook app on the iDevice and left them in iTunes on the Mac.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #57
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
No playlist and no way to organize books. The apparent assumption with the Audible app is that people buy a book, immediately list to that specific book, then discard it. That might even be the norm for most listeners, but it really isn't the way that I work.

For years, I managed my audiobooks in playlist via iTunes and that worked great for me. Then Apple moved audiobooks from iTunes to the iBook app on the iDevice and left them in iTunes on the Mac.
Ok...clear enough. I have a couple hundred audio books....but haven’t felt the need for playlists. I see how organization options would help.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #58
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
I spring for the new iPad mini this spring. Love it. I’m holding out for my job to buy me an iPad Pro some day. I bought my own iPad Air 2 when it first came out and replaced it with the mini. I like the smaller screen for my use cases
I got the ipad pro 11" first, then the new mini - I almost never use the 11" anymore as the mini is so much faster and easier to hold.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #59
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I got the ipad pro 11" first, then the new mini - I almost never use the 11" anymore as the mini is so much faster and easier to hold.
I've the opposite of you. I mostly use the big iPad pro and use the iPad mini mostly when I go out for lunch.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #60
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
I've the opposite of you. I mostly use the big iPad pro and use the iPad mini mostly when I go out for lunch.
Isn't it great we have a choice!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote