Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Switch from Kindle Oasis to Kobo Forma?

Hello all!

I currently have a Kindle Oasis (9th Generation). It works fine and I have no issues with the reader itself. I guess my issue is that lately, I've been worried that I'm too tied to the Amazon ecosystem. I have Calibre and use it to keep my books free. So I'm not worried about losing my library of books. However, I feel like Amazon is making it increasingly difficult to de-DRM books. I won't go into details since I know that can't be discussed but I'm afraid that one day it may become impossible to get out of the Amazon garden.

I love the size of the Kindle Oasis and it looks like the Kobo Forma is comparable. I also like that the Forma can directly download library e-books (which I read a lot).

How do you all think these two compare? For those who use the Kobo ecosystem, how do you like it? Is there a downsize that I'm not seeing. For those who have experience with both, which one do you prefer and why?
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Ask here if there any warts or snags with removing the DRM from the books you might buy from the Kobo store. I have some vague memory that there's something but I may be wrong. I haven't bought any books from the Kobo store.

The big thing for me is that the Kobo's user interface is much more functional than the Kindle's. I have an ancient Kindle Touch which got its final update years ago and its user interface is pretty much the same as the Oasis user interface. The way you can move around and find stuff is much nicer on the Kobo, especially when you have a lot of books.

On the downside there have been complaints about uneven lighting. Mine has a brighter band on the right close to the buttons but I prefer the brightness down very low, about 3%, and then that band isn't visible. The page turn buttons on mine don't have a nice clean click, more of a crunching. Annoying but they function as expected.

I also find it easier to hold; the right side where the buttons are is angled up slightly which makes a big difference. The Kobo folding case is also very nice; folds into a sort of pyramid shape which can be used as a stand.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Hello all!

I currently have a Kindle Oasis (9th Generation). It works fine and I have no issues with the reader itself. I guess my issue is that lately, I've been worried that I'm too tied to the Amazon ecosystem. I have Calibre and use it to keep my books free. So I'm not worried about losing my library of books. However, I feel like Amazon is making it increasingly difficult to de-DRM books. I won't go into details since I know that can't be discussed but I'm afraid that one day it may become impossible to get out of the Amazon garden.

I love the size of the Kindle Oasis and it looks like the Kobo Forma is comparable. I also like that the Forma can directly download library e-books (which I read a lot).

How do you all think these two compare? For those who use the Kobo ecosystem, how do you like it? Is there a downsize that I'm not seeing. For those who have experience with both, which one do you prefer and why?
In fact, the Kobo Forma is significantly, and to my taste usefully, larger than the Oasis. I also think being able to borrow from OverDrive directly from the device is both handy and a time-saver.

As for the rest, I'm obviously solidly in the Kobo camp so I'll let others address the downside.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Ask here if there any warts or snags with removing the DRM from the books you might buy from the Kobo store. I have some vague memory that there's something but I may be wrong. I haven't bought any books from the Kobo store.
I've bought several books from the Kobo store and have never had any problems with removing the DRM.

You don't have to switch devices to get out of the Amazon garden. I'm a Kindle fan, but a substantial amount of my books are not bought from Amazon. I convert and sideload them.

Of course, if you want to continue to buy and download directly from the device, then getting a Kobo makes sense.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
ps67
Addict
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
here we cannot discuss in detail how to remove DRM but if you buy from Kobo you have 2 choices:
1) directly download the book in the reader and remove the DRM from that file, but also from Kobo Desktop (OBOK, I can't say more).
2) if you find it better You can to download the epub file from their site and remove the Adobe DRM (if the book has DRM) from there.

Last edited by ps67; 07-22-2019 at 08:35 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nvidia Shield K1 - Galaxy S8+ - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
What I don't like about the kobo is the sideloaded sync issue ( as I've mentioned on other posts) that for me is a big issue as i use my mobile/beach kindle/living room tablet & bed side table Oasis 2.
Gibbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #7
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
here we cannot discuss in detail how to remove DRM but if you buy from Kobo you have 2 choices:
1) directly download the book in the reader and remove the DRM from that file, but also from Kobo Desktop (OBOK, I can't say more).
2) if you find it better You can to download the epub file from their site and remove the Adobe DRM (if the book has DRM) from there.
You can probably say a little more, like "Google Apprentice Alf", or give a link to the deDRM site:

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Thank you all for your input. I think for now I'll stick with my Kindle but if I want to switch in the future, it seems like the Kobo would be a great option.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:52 AM   #9
andrew.46
andrew.46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Can I say that I know exactly how you feel! And I also have a very nice Oasis that I feed with Calibre. In a perfect world there would be a choice of a beautiful Open Source device that had no ties with any major corporation. One day...
andrew.46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To continue with this thread what are your thoughts about switching from the Oasis 2 for the Kobo Aura H20 2 edition, although I'm heavily entrenched with Amazon (over 2000 ebooks plus unlimited membership) removing the 'you know what' is no problem. So fire away.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Reading KU books on a non-amazon device is not good faith participation in KU.
(Well, using kindle app is OK, but kobo h2o doesn't have that.)

Last edited by j.p.s; 08-04-2019 at 03:58 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #12
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
To continue with this thread what are your thoughts about switching from the Oasis 2 for the Kobo Aura H20 2 edition, although I'm heavily entrenched with Amazon (over 2000 ebooks plus unlimited membership) removing the 'you know what' is no problem. So fire away.
It depends why you want to switch. If you can afford it, you could just get the Kobo in addition to the Oasis. Unless you don't like your Oasis for some reason?

Personally I don't get the switching thing. I have several Kindles and a Nook. I buy my books wherever I want and sideload them to my devices. I'm not tied to any vendor, thanks to Alf and Calibre.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #13
Gibbo
Guru

Mainly because I want a reader with comfort light plus Amazon has them for £160.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #14
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Mainly because I want a reader with comfort light plus Amazon has them for £160.
Well, go for it, then. I would keep the Oasis for KU, but YMMV. Of course you can't sync your sideloaded books with a Kobo. I don't use this feature myself. For those rare instances I want to read something on my phone, I have the Calibre Companion connected to my library in Dropbox. I have to remember the reading position myself, though, but it's not that hard.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #15
WillW
Connoisseur
WillW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
The new Oasis has the warm light feature. It is expensive, yes, but the screen lighting is superb, and the page turning is noticeably faster than the Kobo.
I recently tried to switch to Kobo after years of Kindle, for much the same reasons you describe. I really like the U.I. on the Kobo (not that I dislike it on the Kindle) but after three brand new Kobos - Clara HD, H20 1st & 2nd edition - all of which were faulty, I gave up the idea and went for the Oasis.
I was very aware that the performance of the Kobo - page turns, menu functions - was sluggish even in comparison to my Kindle PW2.
I'm delighted with the Oasis. I had reservations about the price, but after a week of using it I love it. I'd say it's worth every penny. I use it the same way I used my Paperwhite, side loading all books via Calibre.
Both Kobo (assuming no faults) and Kindle have advantages and disadvantages and it's really about personal preference. But my experience has been poor build quality, ie blotchy screen lighting and sluggish performance on Kobo, vs excellent quality all round and nippy performance on the Kindle.
I'm not here to upset the fanbase, but such has been my experience.

Last edited by WillW; 08-06-2019 at 10:25 AM.
WillW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle oasis, kobo forma