Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
LeviSJ
LeviSJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite 2 stuck on tree screen, please help

Hi all,
A couple weeks ago I think I bricked my paperwhite. It was dead and so I plugged it into a charger, as this happened and the screen started to boot up my dog ran past and knocked the wire out the kindle. I quickly placed it back on charge but ever since it has remained on the startup tree screen.

I've done some reading on the forum and tried leaving it on charge for days but don't seem to be getting much luck. I'll admit too I've read a lot of the threads but don't understand everything I'm reading.

Currently it is not recognised on windows when I plug it in, I changed the battery today as I thought that was the issue and so I'm leaving it to charge up again currently but thought I'd ask for more advice in the meantime incase I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

I have a screenshot of my USBDView if this is useful. I did try plugging it in to the laptop when it had no battery in yesterday and all it did was the little light at the bottom flashed orange repeatedly until removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (14).png
Views:	2092
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	161975  
LeviSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
mudge42
mudge42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Oasis, Paperwhite
Have you tried holding down the power button continuously for 40 seconds? Ignore any screen messages during this time. Seems to be a magical remedy for several Kindle issues. Good luck!
mudge42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
LeviSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudge42 View Post
Have you tried holding down the power button continuously for 40 seconds? Ignore any screen messages during this time. Seems to be a magical remedy for several Kindle issues. Good luck!
I have thanks, was kinda hoping it would be something that simple but it simply goes back to the tree screen. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 02-01-2018, 01:36 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
How do you charge it? I hope not connected to computer. You need to charge it on a wall charger. Computer is okay to charge when it is running, but even for restarting I wouldn't leave it plugged in into computer.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:14 AM   #5
LeviSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How do you charge it? I hope not connected to computer. You need to charge it on a wall charger. Computer is okay to charge when it is running, but even for restarting I wouldn't leave it plugged in into computer.
It's plugged into a wall charger, not the official Amazon Kindle charger just a regular usb plug charger that can run at 1A and the official micro usb wire the Kindle came with
Advert
Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Years ago I had an unresponsive Kindle. I don't remember which model. Everyone suggested a hard reset with the Kindle on battery. It wouldn't do it, of course. If I plugged the Kindle in I got an amber light that never turned green. In frustration, I pressed the power button while the Kindle was plugged in and just sat there. It was probably more than 90 seconds when the hard reset cycle started. I set the Kindle up again and it never had another glitch.

And, keep in mind, if someone says to find a day cat, go to a crossroad, strip naked, and bury the cat while singing "Look for the Union Label", you really have nothing to lose except a little respect.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
i've owned dozens over a dozen years or so and never had a lockup until today on my kindle oasis 2. nothing worked and i suspected that although i'd charged the battery yesterday, it had run down.

i plugged it into a high-current ups charger and tried holding the pwr button down for up to a minute--nothing. but then i let it sit for about 2-3 minutes and saw the exclamation mark on the screen--first time i've ever seen that.

i hope the battery isn't going out--it's never been that good to begin with. if you don't put it in airplane mode it will run out in under 3 days even with no reading.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Acousticvillage
Enthusiast
Acousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad, Marvin 3, Mapleread
Have you tried sticking a safety pin or thin needle into the little reset hole which is located between the usb port and the on/off button? You stick it in for around 10 seconds or a "Newcastle shag" as it is sometimes called!!

Last edited by Acousticvillage; 12-06-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Acousticvillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

unfortunately, there seems to be no reset hole on the oasis 2 and the power button and the usb port are at top and bottom respectively. and in my case, for some reason the battery drained completely in less than 24 hours. after charging it is working normally, but it's obvious that the amazon battery life claims are over-inflated, my oasis wouldn't last 5 days in standby mode with no reading if i left airplane mode off and it would last in standby for 10 days with airplane mode on.

/guy
Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
i hope the battery isn't going out--it's never been that good to begin with. if you don't put it in airplane mode it will run out in under 3 days even with no reading.

/guy
The kindle oasis 2 goes into a deeper sleep (likely hibernation) after 30 minutes or so of no use. In airplane mode and deep sleep it should last a long time.

Did it take a few seconds to turn back on? If not, it was probably in regular sleep. I've had times when it was already on when I opened the cover. I think the power button is easy to bump and that the magnetic switches might be defective and maybe something about the cover is problematic. I've avoided taking it out of the cover lately because getting it in the cover just right to avoid unwanted turn ons is tricky and once it is right I am reluctant to have to fuss with it again.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
gteague
Zealot

i agree about the case (i have the cloth one) being flaky. you have to handle it with extreme care or the device will simply squirt out of it. i actually returned the first one and then bought it again when i realized there was nothing on the immediate horizon any better. but in my case i keep the kindle on my desk 95% of the time and there are no accidental power button touches.

and yes, i've noted the difference in times when waking from light or deep sleep, but i'll keep a better watch on it and consider how long it's been since i opened it last.

/guy
Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
What I am trying to convey is that I think something about the cover might sometimes keep the oasis 2 from going into deep sleep. I don't know whether jostling from motion is also involved, it is certainly possible.

In any case messages #7 and after probably belong in the "new oasis battery life" thread.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
Andyna21
Andyna21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
LeviSJ , pudiste solucionar tu problema? A mí me pasa igual y no encuentro solucion. Gracias
Andyna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:46 AM   #14
buyifan43
Enthusiast
buyifan43 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 4 and KT2
try taking off the battery and reinstall it,maybe it will work,IDK though
buyifan43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, paperwhite, tree screen