Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyoflorien View Post
@theducks and @betterred - The insanity was a lot of (thousands of) backslashes (\\\\\\\) in the comments field, at least for the comments fields I was able to edit.
That is a new one. I've seen a few Comments (scraped Descriptions) from standard Metadata sources be made of fragments from other stuff (a hacked source or DB failure? I notified the Indy Publisher, and they fixed it)

Do you have a Cat helper ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #17
ladyoflorien
ladyoflorien began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is a new one. I've seen a few Comments (scraped Descriptions) from standard Metadata sources be made of fragments from other stuff (a hacked source or DB failure? I notified the Indy Publisher, and they fixed it)

Do you have a Cat helper ?
Hmm, well yes, I have two cat helpers, lol, but I do lock my machine when I'm not using it because of their penchant for helping. I don't think I can blame this on the furballs but possibly it's the "Cleaning Comments" plug-in. I haven't found anyone else mentioning thousands of backslashes in their comments field.
ladyoflorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyoflorien View Post
@theducks and @betterred - The insanity was a lot of (thousands of) backslashes (\\\\\\\) in the comments field, at least for the comments fields I was able to edit.
Do you use the JobSpy plugin? If so, maybe the backslashes came from here ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-17 091418.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	177191

Not sure why JS equates '\' to undefined/empty/null, or whatever a zero length string is called these days.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #19
ladyoflorien
ladyoflorien began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Do you use the JobSpy plugin? If so, maybe the backslashes came from here ?

Attachment 177191

Not sure why JS equates '\' to undefined/empty/null, or whatever a zero length string is called these days.

BR
No, I don't use JobSpy.
ladyoflorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:53 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Another possibility
  • select a bunch of books;
  • do whatever you do to get into Bulk metadata edit;
  • press the Set the comments for all selected books button (last widget);
  • up pops the Comments editor dialogue;
  • press and hold backslash for a while;
  • click OK or press Alt+K
et voila- a bunch of books get a boatload of backslashes in Comments

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-25 172914.png
Views:	95
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	177349  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #21
idwtgyai
idwtgyai began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I had very similar slow behavior, but Calibre also freezes completely.

After some more careful observation, it is very clearly related to at least one specific entry/book. I've tried to fix this using the Library Maintenance feature. Checking the library produced no metadata errors, but the second stage found a problem with this particular entry and fixed it. However, the problem still appears. The "Check library" feature doesn't find any more issues.

Calibre works okay until I try to select this title in the list of books, and then it locks up hard. How can I remove or fix this problem if Calibre freezes every time this entry is visible in the list of titles?

Last edited by idwtgyai; 04-28-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Changed the details of the freeze condition
idwtgyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Seems odd that a single book would cause this. But you can use the calibredb command line tool to delete the book. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...calibredb.html
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:59 PM   #23
idwtgyai
idwtgyai began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Wow, perfect. Thank you. That worked exactly like I hoped. After removing the offending entry, Calibre seems back to normal.

If I can speculate: seems like this document had a bunch of URL encoded data in the metadata. I noticed that, when I scrolled down to this entry, the tags field, which I do not remember setting, was full of %-encoded text. You may have noticed that I changed the symptom in my report. At one point, I thought the freeze occurred as soon as the entry was visible in the table pane. I killed Calibre and restarted with a small window, then removed the tags field from the visible columns. After this, I think it stopped freezing when the entry was visible, but froze immediately when trying to select the entry. When I look at this document in Evince document vewier, it looks fine, but Evince also hangs for a while when I try to view the document properties. Maybe that information will make some sense to you.

Thank you!!!
idwtgyai is offline   Reply With Quote