Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
pitifulparfait
pitifulparfait began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb Best ereader for writers?

Hi there, I hope someone can help me.

I'm a writer looking to set up a relatively distraction-free writing environment. I don't like the aesthetics of the AlphaSmart (screen too small) or Freewrite (fugly), so I'm imagining an ereader which I can sit on a shelf at eye-level above my desk while I type.

Essentials:
* Connects to a bluetooth keyboard (like a generic Amazon one)
* Storage (cloud or SD) OR the ability to easily transfer files
* Text editor app

Nice-to-have:
* landscape mode
* Google Docs
* Screensaver
* Light
* Other apps
* Affordable (money is tight right now, but this isn't urgent, so I could save up)

Things that don't matter to me:
* Battery life (it'll spend most of its life on my desk, so I can plug it in often)
* Weight (I won't be holding it much)
* Audio (won't be listening to music or audiobooks)
* Screen size (even a 6 inch is better than an Alphasmart)
* Web browser (I don't need it, and it wouldn't be much of a distraction in black and white e-ink)
* Games

I'm fairly tech savvy, so could teach myself to sideload/jailbreak. Happy to sacrifice out-of-the-box functionality for price. After hours of research I think my best option is a Boox Note Pro... anyone got any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
pitifulparfait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Personally, I like Alphasmarts and have two Neos. I also have a small 12" laptop (an old Lenovo Thinkpad X200) which I bought cheaply from ebay and use specifically for writing, never connecting it to the internet.

Maybe a tablet, a Kindle Fire for example, might work? But you might be better off with something Android. I'm not sure if the Fire is.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Use a decent non-glare laptop and LibreOffice Writer to write. Or Kate on Linux (Notepad++ on Windows) if you want to type and later format.

Only use an eReader via calibre (Docx ->epub) to proof read & annotate. Copy back via Calibre. The Kobo Libra is best value for that, Kobo Utilities in Calibre to read back annotations.

The eInk is ghastly to edit on. Also a decent size one costs more than a decent matt/glare-free laptop.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure if they've started manufacturing it yet, but the Freewrite Traveller might suit you. However, it's hellishly expensive.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An iPad with a keyboard cover would be very good for what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An iPad with a keyboard cover would be very good for what you want.
But a decent laptop will cost less, better keyboard and not a walled garden. An iPad, or the rather cheaper Android equivalent CAN be used for content creation, but poor compared with Mac, Windows or Linux on a $400 laptop. The 10" or bigger tablets are good for PDFs.
For writing a 15" to 17" laptop lets you have a 2nd window with notes on characters, plot, places etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
But a decent laptop will cost less, better keyboard and not a walled garden. An iPad, or the rather cheaper Android equivalent CAN be used for content creation, but poor compared with Mac, Windows or Linux on a $400 laptop. The 10" or bigger tablets are good for PDFs.
For writing a 15" to 17" laptop lets you have a 2nd window with notes on characters, plot, places etc.
True that a decent laptop will be better for writing. Just make sure that the laptop has a FHD screen and at least a 15.6" screen but preferably a 17.3" screen.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
True that a decent laptop will be better for writing. Just make sure that the laptop has a FHD screen and at least a 15.6" screen but preferably a 17.3" screen.
I quite like my small, compact 12" Lenovo writing laptop. The size keeps me focussed, and is still big enough for programs like Scrivener etc.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitifulparfait View Post
Hi there, I hope someone can help me.

I'm a writer looking to set up a relatively distraction-free writing environment. I don't like the aesthetics of the AlphaSmart (screen too small) or Freewrite (fugly), so I'm imagining an ereader which I can sit on a shelf at eye-level above my desk while I type.
Can I please clarify whether you're looking for:
1. A writing device that will also double as a handheld reader (in which case I echo the tablet advice others have given)
2. Just a writing device (in which case I agree with using a real computer with an external keyboard for ergonomics), or
3. An e-ink display (which you haven't mentioned)?

Whatever device you get, you're the one who controls the distractions.

Last edited by meeera; 02-13-2020 at 07:21 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:10 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I suggest a Microsoft Surface Pro for your writing and reading.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #11
BlankEyes
Enthusiast
BlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPad 2018
Scrivener
BlankEyes is offline   Reply With Quote