Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
As of now, with several appealing possibilities, I'm probably going to use my tickets in support of other nominations. For a nomination of my own, I've considered and rejected Zola's Germinal and Lawrence's Sons and Lovers; a third book would also work in January and I decided to keep it in reserve until then.

This could all change, of course!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 AM   #32
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I will second My Life in France.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My first nomination is Bread and Roses: Mills, Migrants, and the Struggle for the American Dream by Bruce Watson (2005, 368 pp.).

Amazon US, $6.99.
I plan to read this in any case and I'm grateful you brought it to my attention. Unfortunately, I was on the verge of seconding this when I discovered that the price has gone up to $9.99. This is still well within our parameters, but it may make a difference. The Canadian price is essentially a wash now.

In my own case, I was very surprised that Boston Overdrive doesn't have it, but I can readily borrow it from the consortium of which Lawrence is a member and where I have borrowing privileges; it's just a little less convenient.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, unfortunately the price has gone up. And worse, neither of my libraries has a copy, though I've recommended it to both. I doubt they'll get a copy in soon enough, however.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #35
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
For my nomination I’ve focused on ‘labour of love’, aspect, and chosen My Life In France, by Julia Childs. She wasn’t from the working classes, but she certainly faced struggles as a female at the Cordon Bleu.

The book is available on overdrive at my library, so I hope in other countries as well.

In terms of Kobo, the sites recognize me as Canadian and sometimes adjust the prices accordingly. But from what I could see, it appears to be:
$14 USA
$14 CA
$10 AUD
It's unfortunate that this book is so expensive. It's a good book, and well worth the read. I have a DT copy, which I can use if we select it, or my libraries both have the audio version immediately available. (There's a significant wait for the eBook, unfortunately, though I'll likely get it in time, with luck.)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I get the feeling we're playing chicken.

I've had more possibilities than I have remaining nominations, but deciding to go with the OverDrive option made it easy. So I'm seconding Bread and Roses and thirding My Life in France.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I'm seriously torn at this point. Neither of the two books I could put over the line at this point are likely to be available from my libraries in time. And both look promising. I'm going to have to think about this a bit.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Oh, I've meant to comment on Catlady's mention of Never Done. I love women's social history and while none of my OverDrive libraries has it, I see the local university has the paper book. On my list for the next time I'm there.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #39
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It's unfortunate that this book is so expensive. It's a good book, and well worth the read. I have a DT copy, which I can use if we select it, or my libraries both have the audio version immediately available. (There's a significant wait for the eBook, unfortunately, though I'll likely get it in time, with luck.)
Sorry CRussel. My library’s wait is quite short, and since it’s an older book, I assumed it wouldn’t be bad for others either. But since ever library is local, it’s hard to know.

That said, it seems to me that ebook prices have been edging up to paper prices the last couple of years. And I’m always appalled when I check the Australian prices! They frequently make me take a potential nomination off the table.

PS -what’s a “DT copy”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I get the feeling we're playing chicken.

I've had more possibilities than I have remaining nominations, but deciding to go with the OverDrive option made it easy. So I'm seconding Bread and Roses and thirding My Life in France.
Yup, I’m playing chicken So for my final vote, I third Forty Fathoms Deep

Last edited by Victoria; 08-05-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

Sorry CRussel. My library’s wait is quite short, and since it’s an older book, I assumed it wouldn’t be bad for others either. But since ever library is local, it’s hard to know.
Yup. A couple of my libraries have it available now, so I didn't look further.

Quote:
PS -what’s a “DT copy”?
DT = Dead Tree, i.e., paper.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #41
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! Shoudda got that
Old 08-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

We've got a day to go and there are a lot of nominations still in hand, in case anyone has had a last minute light bulb moment about the perfect book.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #43
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Even though it's late, I've decided to go ahead and nominate John Steinbeck's In Dubious Battle (1936, 302 pp.).

Quote:
At once a relentlessly fast-paced, admirably observed novel of social unrest and the story of a young man's struggle for identity, In Dubious Battle is set in the California apple country, where a strike by migrant workers against rapacious landowners spirals out of control, as a principled defiance metamorphoses into blind fanaticism. Caught in the upheaval is Jim Nolan, a once aimless man who find himself in the course of the strike, briefly becomes its leader, and is ultimately crushed in its service.
Amazon U.S., $12.99

Both e-book and audiobook are in Overdrive and available in all relevant countries. There's also a copy of the e-book at the Internet Archive.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #44
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Shoudda got that
Well it could have been "Dear Text" - in either expensive or cherished sense, both would work for various paper books I have here.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #45
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Well it could have been "Dear Text" - in either expensive or cherished sense, both would work for various paper books I have here.
Good one! I’ve got too many of both sorts myself.