Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Provide a Toolbar/menu item for Manage Authors, Tags, etc

I'm referring to this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-16 213237.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	177177

I've wanted this as a toolbar/menu item for 'ever'. The reason I'm late in asking is that I am always puzzled that its not there already. I've looked for it countless times, and when I don't find it I convince myself I've missed it

I appreciate there are other paths to get to Manage category panels. But, only if you have the Tag Browser or Book Details panels shown - I normally have them hidden. Today I must have opened and closed the TB at least a 100 times - just to get at Manage Authors, Manage Publishers etc.

I have this sinking feeling someone is going to tell me its in xxxxxx

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I dont think it's there anywhere else. At least not that I recall but I'm not a big user of it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hmmm
I also wondered why I always had to open the Tag browser to use Manage.

I also wondered why Manage <item> did not have a Merge (combine. would work like the one in main books. )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, I dont think it's there anywhere else. At least not that I recall but I'm not a big user of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hmmm
I also wondered why I always had to open the Tag browser to use Manage.
Well, that's a relief, good to know that its not just me.

I guess it could be done with a plugin - but that seems like overkill to me - here's an icon that could be used for the toolbar item:

Name:  Cat-icon_1.png
Views: 1499
Size:  10.3 KB

BR
Old 02-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I guess it could be done with a plugin - but that seems like overkill to me - here's an icon that could be used for the toolbar item:

Attachment 177190

BR
YES!
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I have nothing against having such an action addable to the toolbars/menus, but I am also not particularly keen to write the code for it. Patches are welcome.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Then I'm assuming its not a five line change; given I've lived without it this long…

BTW: I've worn out Ctrl+Alt+D, not the key caps, the functionality - it's sending a '2'

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-17-2020 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:45 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Its not really a change one basically has to implement the equivalent of a plugin within calibre. And this plugin would be complicated by the fact of having to deal with multiple books being selected and how to act on a book with multiple authors/tags/whatever.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:54 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

No worries

Sometimes I see 5 line changes and go "Wow! that was easy", other times I see 100 line changes and go "Wow! all that just for that"

Maybe, I should retract:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I guess it could be done with a plugin - but that seems like overkill to me
BR
Old 02-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Its not really a change one basically has to implement the equivalent of a plugin within calibre. And this plugin would be complicated by the fact of having to deal with multiple books being selected and how to act on a book with multiple authors/tags/whatever.
FTR: if you access a Manage <category> via the Tab Browser Configuration option (as per my earlier screenshot) the current book's metadata, current booklist search, and current virtual library have no apparent influence on what's shown. The cursor is in the Search box, the most recently used item highlighted, and the complete list is shown. The number of books selected seems to be irrelevant, including none.

If you select Manage <category> from the context menu of a specific item (e.g. an Author in the Tag Browser or a Publisher in Book Details) the specific item is highlighted, but the rest is the same.

BR
Old 02-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
This is similar to a feature I’ve been wanting for a while: the ability to set the values of custom fields upon adding a book to the library. For instance, I have a Y/N column that tells me whether I’ve downloaded a book’s metadata or not, and another column that I use to keep track of books which are new or have been changed in some way since I last backed up my library. It’d be nice to be able to tell calibre to automatically set both of those columns to the proper values for incoming books.

For that matter, when creating a new custom column, it’d be really swell if I could define its starting value for existing books, rather than have it always default to empty/undefined.

We can already tell calibre to autoconvert books from one format to another, or to set specific tags, during the import process. This would seem to be a natural extension of that module.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Rev. Bob - the Job Spy plugin has a couple of features that might help:
  • Keyboard Shortcuts for [up to 4] Custom Column Auto-Fill?
  • Apply Default Values [up to 3 Y/N Custom Columns on Autoadd]
BR