Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
CC offered me a choice of 2 connections

when I connected today, CC offered me a choice of 2 connections ( but both were to same named PC )
it called one option "books with calibre" & called the other something with "wireless" in the description. the 1st did not connect , but the 2nd connected OK.

not sure if this i because I'd changed the calibre PC's IP address from a reserved DHCP to a (different value ) static, or if it is because of some new feature in the latest full CC ( Kindle version) release ?

whoops - just noticed I've put this in the wrong thread, maybe some kind person with the power to do so will move it out of wish list
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
when I connected today, CC offered me a choice of 2 connections ( but both were to same named PC )
it called one option "books with calibre" & called the other something with "wireless" in the description. the 1st did not connect , but the 2nd connected OK.

not sure if this i because I'd changed the calibre PC's IP address from a reserved DHCP to a (different value ) static, or if it is because of some new feature in the latest full CC ( Kindle version) release ?

whoops - just noticed I've put this in the wrong thread, maybe some kind person with the power to do so will move it out of wish list
Why is this in the wrong thread? I can move it, but I don't know where to move it to.

EDIT: someone had already moved it. Thanks!

The "books with calibre" IP address comes from mDNS, what Apple calls bonjour. The other comes from calibre's wireless driver. My guess is that one of two things happened:
  • Did you restart calibre after you changed the IP address? If not then it's mDNS implementation would still be sending the old address.
  • Some other computer on the network remembered the old address. This can happen because mDNS is tied into uPNP (universal Plug N Play), and what exactly that does is a mystery.
The nDNS entry will disappear after a time (perhaps an hour). I suspect that the problem has gone away.

Last edited by chaley; 09-06-2014 at 03:30 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think I solved it. calibre was at the new static PC address 192.168.0.33
but in CC, I had previously manually input the old reserved DHCP address of 192.168.0.3, so I think CC was suggesting that as an option even though it was no longer valid.
once I edited that saved value it stopped offering that option.
I've no idea how CC invented the two different descriptions but that's not important. It is all good now.

FYI: I switched to static IP because my Virginmedia Super Hub router is sometimes very slow at allocating DHCP, as PC restarts or comes out of sleep. Even with a reserved address matching the PCs MAC in the router tables, it still thinks for a while sometimes. so having my tablets & this PC on static addresses seems to work better; & apps like CC, spotimote, ES explorer will always know where to find the PC
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
CC also offers a choice of connections if you have more than one device running Calibre at the same time. Pretty cool! I had Calibre running on both my pc and laptop (different db) and when I connected wirelessly it asked which one I wanted!
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote