Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Best non-SuperBowl WII commercial

Although simple, this is just so neat and professionally done that I had to post about it. A commercial that really does look like it could be the real thing... at first. Very cute.

Wii: Hold on Tight.

Now if I could only get one for myself. Surely it can be a great on screen e-book reader. Imagine the text on a huge plasma TV, and turning pages with a flick of the controller!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Lol! Ironically, that has actually happened quite a few times to unsuspecting customers! It is a cute commercial, too bad the Wii's graphics are a bit dated though.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Nice video there...especially the ending...:-)

The thing with the "dated graphics" is something that does not really worry me all that much...I actually have one of those Wii things at home and do not have too many problems with graphics.

What really worries me and has caused me to stop using my Wii only a few days after I bought it is tha the Wii-mote and the Nunchuk are hardly used in available games.

Red Steel was supposed to be the best there, so I got that first, but apart from the "point-and-shoot" part that is OK, the controls are very weak.
I was hoping for some real control over the swordfights...but no, you can swing it, but it does not really matter how you swing it, it always just does standard swings and you have to do some strange and counter-intuitive combination movements to block an opponents strike...VERY BAD...
Why can't they just use that interface to let me move around with the little stick and swing one or two-handed weapons with the two controller movements??? Isn't that what the things are for? 1:1 translation of movement?
I hope that somebody will make games that actually use the unique capabilities of the controllers, then I'll go back to playing the game.

I also got Zelda, a nice little game, but the controls are also very counter-intuitive. Why do I need to press buttons or shake this or that to do a certain move it I could just as well perform it with the Wiimote?
Ah well...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR

What really worries me and has caused me to stop using my Wii only a few days after I bought it is tha the Wii-mote and the Nunchuk are hardly used in available games.
You should try out Rayman: Raving Rabbids and/or Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. Both of them are collections of various minigames that generally use the wiimote to its fullest potential.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
yes, I know that, but they are minigames and come at a hety price. I am looking for games, real ones, like Zelda and Read Steel that actually use the controller...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
yes, I know that, but they are minigames and come at a hety price. I am looking for games, real ones, like Zelda and Read Steel that actually use the controller...^^

Yeah, that's definitely the console's greatest weak point right now - traditional games that use the controller well.

I checked out Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime at E3 last year, and both of them had a lot of promise. Metroid in particular had great use of the pointer functionality. Unfortunately, it's going to be a while before we see either of them, or any of Nintendo's other AAA first-party titles.

Anyway, I still think that Rayman is a great game, even for the price... The sense of humor it has is fantastic.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote