Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Need help: 505 ignore some Chinese file name

I have been converting a lot of Chinese book into lrf format. The problem is 505 seems to have problem understanding some Chinese file name like: "歡樂英雄 - 古龍.lrf" but other is fine like: "本陣殺人 - 橫溝正史.lrf"

I don't think it is a font issues because the file is not showing up in the menu completely. BTW the file show up correct in file explorer so I believe this is a 505 problem. Anyone see this problem b4 and have way to address it. Currently I just rename the file in english and 505 will display it correctly.

On top of it part of the problem is caused by Calibre. Look like after you add a book into Carlibe It will always rename the files using the metadata. Anyone know a way to stop that?

Thanks
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Problem solved, the problem is in Calibre. Look like Calibre change the file name based on the metadata and the result is some file with certain unicode char in file name will be at a state not readable on the Sony reader. For the look of it the problem is in how the data being store in the SQLite DB backend.
The same file even with the "corrupted file name" will be transfer fine over to the ebook when using the Sony S/W.

At this point I more or less give up on Calibre. Yes it is a great tool for English based book (and may be for most western language). But it created more problem than it solved when use in an Asian language heavy environment (I personally read Chinese and Japanese).
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert