Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2024, 09:12 AM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
problem with .acsm file and ADE

This is for information and is no longer a live problem but might help someone.

A month or so ago I was having problems with the HDD on my pc so i "cloned" the drive onto a SSD and replaced the HDD with the SSD. Effectively everything was just the same only faster.

Then a week or so later a book I had reserved on Borrowbox became available and I downloaded it. As usual I received an .acsm file which ADE tried to open but this time failed with an authorisation error.

I tried to erase the authorisation in ADE so that I could re-authorise it but it wouldn't let me.

I then removed ADE from the computer and re-installed it. It was, however showing identical authorisation credentials as before.

In order to get a copy of ADE that I could authorise afresh I had to remove ADE, edit the registry to delete all the "Adobe" references (not to be undertaken lightly) then re-install ADE.

This fixed it. It appears that the ADE authorisation key, which being held in the registry is not removed when the program is removed, contains a UUID that refers to the computer hardware and changing the HDD for a SSD had resulted in a UUID change for the PC.

If only ADE would have allowed me to erase the authorisation using the menu and my Adobe password (which I knew) there would not have been a problem, however Adobe's attempt at technical support is a chatbot that drives you round in circles and doesn't help.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 01-28-2024 at 09:15 AM.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:06 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Newer version of ADE have an Erase authorization item on the Help menu. Earlier versions of ADE would require that you open ADE and then press either Ctrl + Shift + D on a Windows computer or Command + Shift + D on a Mac.

Either of these is available by a simple search for 'adobe digital editions erase authorization'.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2024, 08:08 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

I tried to erase the authorisation in ADE so that I could re-authorise it but it wouldn't let me.

Can you describe how it wouldn't let you?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acsm, ade