Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 08:28 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It does not matter whether I read ePub, kepub, PDF or CBZ. I still see the remnant files. I tested by opening multiple books in different formats and it seems to make no difference.
Maybe this is an issue with the Sage.

I have an idea if it will work. Can you create a NickelMenu command that will only reboot if either of those files are present meaning something is not properly closed?

That would save even more time and less rebooting.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:02 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe this is an issue with the Sage.
I can get the same issues on a Clara HD, Libra 2 and Elipsa 2E. The Elipsa and the Sage are the most likely to glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have an idea if it will work. Can you create a NickelMenu command that will only reboot if either of those files are present meaning something is not properly closed?

That would save even more time and less rebooting.
For me, the time saved would not be worthwhile considering how fast my Sage reboots.

If you are able to supply a NickelMenu item that would do something like the following pseudo-code, feel free to do so:

If exist (.kobo/*.sqlite-wal) then reboot else USB connect
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2024, 06:28 PM   #33
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm suddenly seeing the Database Malformed error on my Kobo Forma when trying to add new books via Calibre.
I have had the same problem for the last few weeks. I can fix it by reparing the account in the Forma settings menu, but despite getting all the books back, they all lose their reading status/progress.

Having tried all sorts, I continue to have this problem on a regular basis.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:32 AM   #34
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, having messed around with the Forma, still on the latest firmware, I have found a really odd one.

I opened the cover and went back to the home screen from the book I was reading. I then powered off the Forma. There was a notification on the screen saying 'powered off' along with the cover of the book I'm currently reading. Powered it back on and the database was corrupted.

So, at least on mine, closing the book you're reading and rebooting in order to ensure no database files are left open does not work. I didn't even get to plug in the USB cable because rebooting seemed to kill the database.

I'm baffled and sick of it now. Time to downgrade the firmware. Not happy with Kobo!

EDIT: I repaired the account via the menu and rebooted...database still broken. So, repairing doesn't fix it now either. That's also new.

EDIT 2: I downloaded and installed firmware 4.34. That worked and the Forma restarted successfully - still only showing the books after the corruption happened with the later firmware.
I connected to Calibre and:
CorruptError: database disk image is malformed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 104, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 558, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2028, in books
File "C:\t\t\apsw-42s16m2x\src\cursor.c", line 240, in resetcursor
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

So, I'm back to square one. I'll try a factory reset and firmware 4.34 next. If that doesn't work, I have no clue what to do next.

EDIT 3: Well, it all seems ok now. Here's what I ended up doing...
Downgraded to Firmware 4.34.
Performed a factory reset via the Forma menu.
Once it restarted, went through the setup and activated the Forma via the Kobo site.
Turned off wifi to prevent it from trying to upgrade the firmware back to 4.38.
Connected to Calibre, sideloaded a few books.
Used Calibre to remove the Forma from the PC connection.
And, this is where things change...
On firmware 4.38 I noticed that the screen of the Kobo still showed the computer icons even after using the Calibre menu in the Windows Taskbar to disconnect the Forma.
On firmware 4.34 it drops me back the the Home screen on the Forma within a few seconds of using Calibre to disconnect! Hmmmm. Still doesn't explain the corruption after a reboot without using Calibre at all.

Anyway, so far, having reconnected and disconnected from the PC using Calibre, along with rebooting a couple of times, it seems to be working as it should on the old firmware. Fingers crossed.

I must admit this has soured me to Kobo. To break their own ereader with a firmware update and leave us trying to fix it ourselves is absolutely unforgiveable.

Last edited by leaston; 01-10-2024 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:25 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You may have had Flash storage corruption. Eventually the bad blocks would be remapped with re-writing the files by various resets/upgrades. Other people have only had the issue when connecting USB, and not everyone. Windows updates also may have affected some USB users.
Some people on the latest firmware have had no issues at all, but do always close the current ebook before connecting cable and on eject wait for bar progress to end (before unplugging cable) and screen displaying ebooks to flash (database update complete, obvious if filter set to unread as list changes) before reconnecting.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-10-2024 at 05:30 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 09:21 AM   #36
leaston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You may have had Flash storage corruption. Eventually the bad blocks would be remapped with re-writing the files by various resets/upgrades. Other people have only had the issue when connecting USB, and not everyone. Windows updates also may have affected some USB users.
Some people on the latest firmware have had no issues at all, but do always close the current ebook before connecting cable and on eject wait for bar progress to end (before unplugging cable) and screen displaying ebooks to flash (database update complete, obvious if filter set to unread as list changes) before reconnecting.
If this were an isolated incident, I'd probably agree that perhaps the storage became corrupted through my doing things in the 'wrong' order when disconnecting the device or some other reason related to my actions. Maybe.

However, I'm far from alone in seeing this error, repeatedly - and it doesn't seem to be isolated to the Forma, which still suggests a software/firmware issue.

As I said before, my behaviour around using the reader hasn't changed at all in years and switching to a previous firmware version seems, for now, to have resolved the problem. The only thing different about my Forma between it behaving normally and beginning to display the error is the firmware update. That it happened last night without even being plugged in means Calibre and my PC aren't to blame either.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:20 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yours was without a USB connection.
Quote:
That it happened last night without even being plugged in means Calibre and my PC aren't to blame either.
So Flash storage failed by itself.
The other people are discussing USB transfers, where some have no issues and others can avoid it with a reboot. Definitely SQLight files open.

Your symptoms and solution are different.

Flash storage does suffer from blocks fading even when not in use. An update re-writing files will cure that and absolutely bad blocks will be hidden.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-10-2024 at 11:24 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:30 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
If this were an isolated incident, I'd probably agree that perhaps the storage became corrupted through my doing things in the 'wrong' order when disconnecting the device or some other reason related to my actions. Maybe.
This is not going to help with your Forma but quite a few of the people to whom I have sent links to Kobo firmware images have reported that trying to reuse the original µSD card shows that it has uncorrectable errors. One person reported that after copying the image to his original µSD card, his Glo would boot and work normally however installing a firmware update caused his Glo to error again. Trying a replacement µSD card allowed him to revive and update his Glo without error. The SD Association's formatter utility reported multiple errors when attempting to format the original card.

This does not appear to be from operator error but simply the cards having a limited life.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:16 PM   #39
leaston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yours was without a USB connection.

So Flash storage failed by itself.
The other people are discussing USB transfers, where some have no issues and others can avoid it with a reboot. Definitely SQLight files open.

Your symptoms and solution are different.

Flash storage does suffer from blocks fading even when not in use. An update re-writing files will cure that and absolutely bad blocks will be hidden.
I wonder after reading your post if it's one causing the other. Mine did begin with a USB transfer and happened around 50% of the time when disconnecting from the PC. Then, last night the behaviour changed to happening upon reboot.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:21 PM   #40
leaston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This is not going to help with your Forma but quite a few of the people to whom I have sent links to Kobo firmware images have reported that trying to reuse the original µSD card shows that it has uncorrectable errors. One person reported that after copying the image to his original µSD card, his Glo would boot and work normally however installing a firmware update caused his Glo to error again. Trying a replacement µSD card allowed him to revive and update his Glo without error. The SD Association's formatter utility reported multiple errors when attempting to format the original card.

This does not appear to be from operator error but simply the cards having a limited life.
I remember one of my old readers having a card inside (Kobo Glo maybe). If it's the storage on the Forma that's failing then I guess it is time to replace it.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:24 PM   #41
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I retired my Aura HD due to failing internal storage. It started out with seemingly random glitches, like reading position occasionally failing to save or sideloaded books failing to load and needing to be re-sent. Then the database corruptions started happening, first very rarely but then more frequently as time went on.

It was 8 or 9 years old at this time I think. I could've probably figured out how to swap out the internal storage (though my Parkinson's makes my fine motor coordination not so great) but I wanted to upgrade to a model with page-turn buttons.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-10-2024 at 04:28 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:53 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
I remember one of my old readers having a card inside (Kobo Glo maybe). If it's the storage on the Forma that's failing then I guess it is time to replace it.
Sadly true. Unless you happen to have a surface mount rework station handy, the cost of replacing the eMMC storage chip would exceed the cost of a replacement ereader by a good chunk. OTOH, you might want to hang in there for a few months. Kobo has a couple of FCC approval requests in from Oct and Dec 2023.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:01 PM   #43
leaston
Addict

The Forma hasn't corrupted since I downgraded the firmware. Coincidence or fix? Who knows I hope it hangs on long enough for either Kobo to release something decent with their impending new models, or I cave and return to Kindle.

Haha, David my soldering skills with a normal iron are passable on a good day. I dread to think of the mess I'd make with surface mount kit!

It would be even better if there were other reasonably priced options in the UK. The competition is scarce here though and I don't fancy paying import duty and other fees for something from abroad.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:01 PM   #44
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As long as you're sideloading and don't need to sync, you can just stay on 4.34 forever and be happy.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:56 AM   #45
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I retired my Aura HD due to failing internal storage. It started out with seemingly random glitches, like reading position occasionally failing to save or sideloaded books failing to load and needing to be re-sent. Then the database corruptions started happening, first very rarely but then more frequently as time went on.

It was 8 or 9 years old at this time I think. I could've probably figured out how to swap out the internal storage (though my Parkinson's makes my fine motor coordination not so great) but I wanted to upgrade to a model with page-turn buttons.
I know its been a while since I had the malformed problem but its happened twice now since then. I'm beginning to think i'll lose my Forma because of this .Its only about three years old but I know the device has been around longer than that.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote