Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2023, 07:36 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought a factory reset wasn't necessary, just logging out and back in will solve the problem?
Yes, that will work. But what works best is if you are using Kobo Utilities to back up the database, restore the most recent database and reboot. This is why side loading is better then syncing because when you sync, the database is not backed up but it is when you side load as long as you have Kobo Utilities setup to backup the database.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 02:35 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you ever seen these files after viewing ePub or only after KePub?
Jon, haven't you asked that question before? I have seen the issue when reading epub or kepub or fixed layout kepub. I have seen the issue after going back to the Home screen or the My Books screen before connecting (not to mention the My Notebooks, Discover and More screens). I have seen the remnant files after letting my Kobo sit idle for an hour and telnetting into the device.

As I keep saying, the only reliable method of avoiding the issue I've found is to reboot before the USB connect which NickelMenu makes a matter of two taps.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2023, 04:39 AM   #18
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The other reliable method appears to be not updating the firmware. I don't recall reading complaints about this problem before 4.37 came out, and I've yet to experience it on 4.35.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 07:01 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The other reliable method appears to be not updating the firmware. I don't recall reading complaints about this problem before 4.37 came out, and I've yet to experience it on 4.35.
[Jon voice]
The best way to avoid the problem is to get a Kindle.
[/Jon voice]
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 07:14 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, haven't you asked that question before? I have seen the issue when reading epub or kepub or fixed layout kepub. I have seen the issue after going back to the Home screen or the My Books screen before connecting (not to mention the My Notebooks, Discover and More screens). I have seen the remnant files after letting my Kobo sit idle for an hour and telnetting into the device.

As I keep saying, the only reliable method of avoiding the issue I've found is to reboot before the USB connect which NickelMenu makes a matter of two taps.
Nope. That's the first time. I've suggested it could be due to reading KePub, but I've never asked if going from KePub to ePub closes things.
Advert
Old 12-26-2023, 12:50 PM   #21
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Do you go to the home screen always after displaying ePub? Have you been going to the home page after displaying KePub and getting the database corrupted?

My thought is that with KePub, once you are at the home screen, something may be still open. But with ePub, everything is closed. It works for me going to the home screen after displaying an ePub. I have no tried going to the home screen after a KePub and then connecting to the computer.
I do use KePub exclusively, which might be contributing to the problem. I always return to the home screen before connecting. But I am not willing to reload one or more books as ePubs just to find out, especially since Kobo has said that a fix is in the works.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:30 AM   #22
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Do you go to the home screen always after displaying ePub? Have you been going to the home page after displaying KePub and getting the database corrupted?
I've gotten corruption when connecting from the homescreen. It happened when re-connecting immediately after importing a large number of books, which makes me believe that some process (possibly cover generation or sync) left the database open.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:55 AM   #23
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I would expect that to always result in a corruption, since processing new books takes such a long time. It would be nice if the "importing" screen would just stay up until the import process was actually finished, instead of going away after a few seconds and leaving you to wonder when your books will actually show up.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 02:29 AM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I would expect that to always result in a corruption, since processing new books takes such a long time. It would be nice if the "importing" screen would just stay up until the import process was actually finished, instead of going away after a few seconds and leaving you to wonder when your books will actually show up.
The books are imported into the database when the import screen disappears. The background process for cover thumbnail generation does keep running in the background but that process should be able to be interrupted without causing issues according to that traditional informed source.

Since most of the issues appear to be when going from directly reading to an USB connection, I suspect the issue is not related to book imports. When I telnet to my ereader within seconds of the import process finishing, the databases do not show the sqlite-wal or sqlite-shm files telling me the database has been closed. OTOH, if I am reading and do a Telnet connection, I see the sqlite-wal or sqlite-shm files all too often until the 5 minute sleep timeout I use. This is happens even when I have returned to the Home or My Books screen before the Telnet connection.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:05 AM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I did a factory reset in the end. I’ve been able to get my 3000 books back on my Forma but I did have a few issues doing it, just have to see now if I get that message again.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 05:36 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've gotten corruption when connecting from the homescreen. It happened when re-connecting immediately after importing a large number of books, which makes me believe that some process (possibly cover generation or sync) left the database open.
That's why I'm suggesting view an ePub and then go to the home screen. I read mostly ePub and I can go to the home screen and I have no problems. Also, after importing books, i use NickelMenu to trigger the USB prompt after I;m back at the home screen after the importing and again, no problem.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:43 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The books are imported into the database when the import screen disappears. The background process for cover thumbnail generation does keep running in the background but that process should be able to be interrupted without causing issues according to that traditional informed source.

Since most of the issues appear to be when going from directly reading to an USB connection, I suspect the issue is not related to book imports. When I telnet to my ereader within seconds of the import process finishing, the databases do not show the sqlite-wal or sqlite-shm files telling me the database has been closed. OTOH, if I am reading and do a Telnet connection, I see the sqlite-wal or sqlite-shm files all too often until the 5 minute sleep timeout I use. This is happens even when I have returned to the Home or My Books screen before the Telnet connection.
What happens if you Telnet to the Kobo and see the open files and then go display an ePub and go to the home screen and then telnet in. Do you still see those open files?

The reason I'm asking is to find out if this is a KePub issue and can be fixed by opening and closing an ePub. I read mostly ePub and I don't have an issue that needs a reboot. On 4.38.X, I've not read any KePub.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:09 AM   #28
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
What happens if you Telnet to the Kobo and see the open files and then go display an ePub and go to the home screen and then telnet in. Do you still see those open files?

The reason I'm asking is to find out if this is a KePub issue and can be fixed by opening and closing an ePub. I read mostly ePub and I don't have an issue that needs a reboot. On 4.38.X, I've not read any KePub.
I only read kEpub, and for all the years I've got a Kobo (I began with Kobo Mini), I think I've gotten 4 or 5 database errors, and they are mainly when I've disconnected the ereader without ejecting by mistake (the last one around a month ago due to that reason).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:46 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:

It does not matter whether I read ePub, kepub, PDF or CBZ. I still see the remnant files. I tested by opening multiple books in different formats and it seems to make no difference.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:56 PM   #30
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
It does not matter whether I read ePub, kepub, PDF or CBZ. I still see the remnant files. I tested by opening multiple books in different formats and it seems to make no difference.
I suspect this might have to do with reading position. When my Aura HD was dying, it'd frequently freeze up while I was reading and require a force-reboot, losing any reading progress since I'd last been on homescreen. (Or sometimes the database would corrupt after I force-rebooted. ) This might indicate that the database remains open while reading and only gets saved when exiting the book.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote