Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2023, 06:21 PM   #1
WinterStilleKobo
WinterStilleKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Red face Is it possible to somehow sort ebooks (in kobo) as author->series->alphabetically?

Hi

Weird question perhaps, and I have tried to find the solution ...

Is there a possobility to sort Ebooks (in Kobo, Kepub) like so: author -> series -> alphabetically ? When I chose "Author" it goes alphabetically and puts series out of order.

I thought maybe it's possible to add something in the meta-data in Calibre or add "invisible" text to the title in the metadata .... Reddit has been no help and I'm not even sure how to search for this issue.

People have been telling me to re-name the files [series]+[name] but I'm stubborn, I think it looks ugly (yep) I'd love to use the series tag in my Kobo reader, without adding the name of the series to the title.

Does that make sense?

WinterStilleKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 11:21 PM   #2
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
In “My Books”, when you are viewing the Authors list, there should be a little bubble above the list of authors, which will let you sort the authors themselves by last name, first name, “recent”, as well as number of books. Within the list of books for each author, you can likewise sort by: recent, date added, title, author, series, file size, and file type.

However, I think when sorting by series the books will always be sorted in series order, i.e. by ascending index within each series. Because each book's number within its series is unique (at least in most of the series I've seen – but I acknowledge series numbering can get messy), there are no ties and so e.g. “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” (Narnia book 3) would sort before “The Last Battle” (Narnia book 7) despite the latter coming first lexicographically.

Note that if you are sideloading books using Calibre, the series metadata needs a little extra work to load properly. By default, the Kobo does not process Series metadata for sideloaded books when it imports them to its device database. So, after you send a book from Calibre to the Kobo, you must disconnect the Kobo and allow it to import new content, then reconnect it to Calibre and synchronize metadata again. Only once the Kobo has imported the new content can Calibre set the Series metadata for it. You can use NickelSeries to eliminate this need:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331680
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2023, 05:18 AM   #3
WinterStilleKobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
In “My Books”, when you are viewing the Authors list, there should be a little bubble above the list of authors, which will let you sort the authors themselves by last name, first name, “recent”, as well as number of books. Within the list of books for each author, you can likewise sort by: recent, date added, title, author, series, file size, and file type.

However, I think when sorting by series the books will always be sorted in series order, i.e. by ascending index within each series. Because each book's number within its series is unique (at least in most of the series I've seen – but I acknowledge series numbering can get messy), there are no ties and so e.g. “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” (Narnia book 3) would sort before “The Last Battle” (Narnia book 7) despite the latter coming first lexicographically.

Note that if you are sideloading books using Calibre, the series metadata needs a little extra work to load properly. By default, the Kobo does not process Series metadata for sideloaded books when it imports them to its device database. So, after you send a book from Calibre to the Kobo, you must disconnect the Kobo and allow it to import new content, then reconnect it to Calibre and synchronize metadata again. Only once the Kobo has imported the new content can Calibre set the Series metadata for it. You can use NickelSeries to eliminate this need:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331680
Thanks for your reply.

I cannot do that in the "authors" tab, I can only sort by Last/First Name Recent and Number of Books.

Is it possible to add "invisible" text to the book's title in the metadata perhaps? So the reader sees it as "[01] book" but it's displayed as "book"? That would solve my fake-OCD issue.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:37 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStilleKobo View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I cannot do that in the "authors" tab, I can only sort by Last/First Name Recent and Number of Books.
Which Kobo model do you have? Or do you mean a Kobo app?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:44 AM   #5
WinterStilleKobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Which Kobo model do you have? Or do you mean a Kobo app?
My bad, I've a Kobo Libra 2. But I have the previous generation too (Sage or something? The huge one) and I can't do it there either.
Advert
Old 01-12-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStilleKobo View Post
Thanks for your reply.

That's odd. I have lots of choices there. Including series.
How do you get the books to the Kobo? I use Calibre. What I'm thinking (sort of brain-storming) is the the choices there is ruled by what metadat-fields the books come with. I use Calibre with the Kobo plugin that puts series information in there.
(My device is a Libra 2 with firmware 4.34)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:38 PM   #7
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I'm sure I had this question a while back (probably in my Kobo Touch days), but I can't find it.

One of the irritating things when I search on my Forma (or the general My Books display), is that the results are defaulted to [Author] - Title, when what I want is [Author] - Series. I'm sure there was an option to edit the config file to allow multi-factor sorts, but I can't find it! It's a pain to have to keep resetting to the Series sort option, especially for long series.

Can anyone help with this?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote