Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo H2O Kobo Aura ONE LE, Kobo Libra 2
Sideloading bought comics to Kobo?

Hiya, I bought some manga from the kobo store and saved it to my adobe digital editions so that later I can side load them to my kobo through calibre, but the pages don’t load in ADE.

Is there another way for me to get the manga onto my kobo without using WiFi? I don’t want the firmware updates since I’m using a previous version of calibre and I don’t think the new firmware is compatible
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
There is a patch or two to avoid firmware update, it depends on what firmware You are blocked in, You can check them for it, remember that each set of patches is for a specific firmware (don't use patches for last firmware for a old firmware, use the patches created for it), otherwise some "amusing" things will happen. So when You synchronize You will download books but You won't update firmware.

Personally, and I repeat personally because it is not documented anywhere and nobody else told me that I am right, I use a little trick when I don't want to update immediately: I change the affiliation in something that does not exist because kobo will check it to decide if there is a new firmware for that affiliation.

In the .kobo directory of Your Kobo there is a file affiliate.conf. The affiliation can be changed from kobo (or walmart or what is) into "nobody" or a casual word. Kobo uses it to determine if books are sold to some affiliate user.

The good news is that if it doesn't work You can reverse to an older firmware. I have never done it but I know that it is possible.

Last edited by ps67; 06-22-2020 at 08:57 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika24 View Post
Hiya, I bought some manga from the kobo store and saved it to my adobe digital editions so that later I can side load them to my kobo through calibre, but the pages don’t load in ADE.

Is there another way for me to get the manga onto my kobo without using WiFi?
What format are they? If they are epubs or PDF wit Adobe DRM, then you either sideload them with ADE or you need to remove the DRM and then sideload in whatever method you want to.

If they are CBZ or CBR, then you can just add them to the device.
Quote:
I don’t want the firmware updates since I’m using a previous version of calibre and I don’t think the new firmware is compatible
Any particular reason? But, any calibre version that supports the Forma will work fine with later versions of the firmware is you enable the "Attempt to support newer firmware version" option. Depending on how old the version of calibre, you won't get the new Series tab support, but, everything else should work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What version of Calibre are you using? Is there any reason you cannot use the current version?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seem to recall at one time that the extension had to match the compression; ie CBR had to be Rar internally and CBZ had to be Zip internally.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #6
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

It’s a CBZ file. I can’t even view the books in ADE. When I open them I only see the top part of the image and it never loads completely.

The reason I don’t want to update the firmware (outside of calibre) is that I’ve read reviews saying that the new firmware drains the battery fast (I’m talking about the Kobo Aura one LE, not the forma btw)

As for not installing the newer calibre, from what I’ve read, the new version has issues with displaying and side loading custom covers (I’m using the 3.41.3 64bit version).
Old 06-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Why are you using ADE instead of Calibre to copy the CBZ files to the Kobo? ADE doesn't support CBZ files afaik.

CBZ is just a plain ZIP file containing images. No DRM involved. Heck, you can even use a simple file manager to copy it to your Kobo.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It’s a CBZ file. I can’t even view the books in ADE. When I open them I only see the top part of the image and it never loads completely.
I have never heard of ADE supporting CBZ, so that probably explains why it doesn't work.

For any book format without DRM, you can just copy it to the device.
Quote:
The reason I don’t want to update the firmware (outside of calibre) is that I’ve read reviews saying that the new firmware drains the battery fast (I’m talking about the Kobo Aura one LE, not the forma btw)
That isn't my experience with any of my Kobo devices. But, it also depends on what you are comparing to. What firmware are you currently running?

And, for curiosity, where are the reviews? Or are you referring to discussions here?
Quote:
As for not installing the newer calibre, from what I’ve read, the new version has issues with displaying and side loading custom covers (I’m using the 3.41.3 64bit version).
As a heavy calibre user that has been updating through all versions, I have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you are referring to the changes in the viewer that came in with version 4. And those have been fixed. But, if you can point me to a thread discussing the problems, I'd like to check.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Sideloading bought comics to Kobo?

Quote:

As davidfor already said, you can just add these to the Kobo. There’s no need for Calibre or ADE. Plug your Kobo into the USB port, wait for it to mount, then drag your CBZ and CBR files into the root directory. (On the Mac you just drag and drop the comics onto the desktop icon.) Then eject the Kobo, and watch the magic as your Kobo imports the files.

Comic Book Zip or Comic Book Rar files are just zip or rar archives given a spiffy extension. (For example, rename your .cbz file to .zip and you can unpack the archive into a folder with images. Same with .cbr.) ADE reads PDF files. It wouldn’t know what to do with zip or rar archives. So your solution is fairly simple. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
As davidfor already said, you can just add these to the Kobo. There’s no need for Calibre or ADE. Plug your Kobo into the USB port, wait for it to mount, then drag your CBZ and CBR files into the root directory. (On the Mac you just drag and drop the comics onto the desktop icon.) Then eject the Kobo, and watch the magic as your Kobo imports the files.
What you did make me think of, and I should have mentioned earlier, was the advantage of using calibre for CBR/CBZ files. The device doesn't read metadata from them. But, calibre can update it after the comics have been imported on the device.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #11
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan

okay, i have to clear something up. i made a mistake calling them CBZ files. they're epub. i did some experimenting by buying some manga from another series, and they load just time in ADE. i bought another from the series i'm having a problem with, and that one failed to load too.

i added two screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	184
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	181961   Click image for larger version

Name:	books.png
Views:	196
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	181962  
Old 09-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
okay, i have to clear something up. i made a mistake calling them CBZ files. they're epub. i did some experimenting by buying some manga from another series, and they load just time in ADE. i bought another from the series i'm having a problem with, and that one failed to load too.

i added two screenshots
One possibility is that the epubs are not just epub3 but are epub3 fixed layout. My daughter purchased a couple of comics in that format. On her Kobo, renaming the file from .epub to .fxl.kepub.epub let them display properly. They may display correctly in ADE 4.5.x if you want to upgrade from the ADE 2 you seem to be running.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #13
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One possibility is that the epubs are not just epub3 but are epub3 fixed layout. My daughter purchased a couple of comics in that format. On her Kobo, renaming the file from .epub to .fxl.kepub.epub let them display properly.
Is there any reason to prefer .fxl.kepub.epub over just .kepub.epub? It seems like if the OPF has "<meta property="rendition:layout">pre-paginated</meta>" my new Kobo correctly handles it as fixed layout. I'm not sure what the benefit is (if any) to explicitly setting that in the filename too...
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Is there any reason to prefer .fxl.kepub.epub over just .kepub.epub? It seems like if the OPF has "<meta property="rendition:layout">pre-paginated</meta>" my new Kobo correctly handles it as fixed layout. I'm not sure what the benefit is (if any) to explicitly setting that in the filename too...
Not sure but that is what was recommended on Kobo EPUB Guidelines page. Newer firmware may support the meta-property declaration but I have so few fixed layout epubs, I've never bothered to test it.

Edit: Just tested Harry Potter: A Journey Through the History of Magic by the British Library and it displayed without needing the .fxl added to the file name.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-28-2021 at 03:33 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, calibre, kobo, manga, sideload