Device: PW2
Rooting the Poke Pro

Is there a way to root the device?
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
jb123
jb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke Pro
Yes. with a little guidance from Pajamaman from another thread I did the following...

I used old version kingroot 4.5 for Android and it worked plus Supersume. Now I can use Xposed Framework for App Settings to change per app dpi and font sizes and Xposed Additions to customize the one physical button to be a little more useful (like recent apps, home, page-turning) plus xKindlemod to tweak the Kindle app and Fonter to force individual apps to use all black text for easier eink reading
jb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Thanks it worked!
Do you know if we can have magisk on this one?
Old 01-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Device: none
MagiskHide requires being able to patch the boot image's ramdisk which isn't possible without an unlocked (formally or via exploit) bootloader.

A root exploit would allow MagiskSU to function but that's no different from just using SuperSu since MagiskHide won't function (nor would Magisk Modules)
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #5
bel3atar
Connoisseur

What version of Super sume did you use?
v9.9.0 remains stuck on "processing, please wait..."
Advert
Old 01-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
What version of Super sume did you use?
v9.9.0 remains stuck on "processing, please wait..."
Apparently you have to use the older versions of kingroot apk. I used the PC version and now I have to get rid of it and try the old android version. I might hard reset and start again. It was a learning curve.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-27-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb123 View Post
Yes. with a little guidance from Pajamaman from another thread I did the following...

I used old version kingroot 4.5 for Android and it worked plus Supersume. Now I can use Xposed Framework for App Settings to change per app dpi and font sizes and Xposed Additions to customize the one physical button to be a little more useful (like recent apps, home, page-turning) plus xKindlemod to tweak the Kindle app and Fonter to force individual apps to use all black text for easier eink reading
What version of supersume did you use?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
bel3atar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
What version of supersume did you use?
v9.9.0
Old 01-31-2019, 07:11 AM   #9
jb123
jb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke Pro
Supersume was quirky and I had to do it including reinstalling and re-rooting with kingroot a couple times (it re-roots fast so not a big deal). I did use the latest version of Supersume from the play store. If I remember right, I think the problem was in Phase 1 of Supersume it says it's going to install additional tools and then it just hangs. I think the problem was the popup window to install those tools never appeared. I discovered, kind of by accident, that if I used recent tasks to switch to another app and then back to Supersume the window appeared so I could install these additional tools and then it ran smoothly from there. Hope that helps and gets the job done.
jb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #10
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
v9.9.0
Hey bel3atar, I seem to be having the same issue as you. Tried multiple versions of Kingroot. Did you ever have any luck?
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard

Onyx has released a FW update for the Poke, and deactivates King Root. You have to deinstall it manually. This is good as I can now install an older version of King Root and supersume it.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
bel3atar
Connoisseur

My device doesn't detect any FW update.
@trence: no, I didn't manage to remove kingroot.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
My device doesn't detect any FW update.
@trence: no, I didn't manage to remove kingroot.
I'm using a Nova Pro, but the only way I could get kingroot off was using KingRoot-2-SuperSu-Switcher_v1.2.zip from XDA. Not sure if this board allows linking to other sites. Just FYI.

Root is maintained, at least on mine. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by trence; 04-10-2019 at 06:16 PM.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard

Root and Kingroot seem vone on mine. Button Saviour stopped working. Uninstalled Kingroot. No Kingroot process I can see.I installed the recent PC version, not an apk. Suits me. I thought it was going to be a pig to remove Kingroot and downgrade to a lower version. Kinda reluctant to put that spyware back on. It was too obstrusive. Might install an onld apk version and supersume it.