Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #31
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
Another review worth mentioning for the Inkpad

Will need chrome or an extension on your browser for translation to English
uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #32
uppon2
Connoisseur

Anybody else still torn between these two devices?
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
Anybody else still torn between these two devices?
Not after reading that review I would not be torn. I'd be getting an H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #34
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not after reading that review I would not be torn. I'd be getting an H2O.
That is the way I'm leaning, but the asymmetrical one handed shape with those buttons, headphone jack and larger screen really appeals to me.

I know you comment a lot here, I appreciate that, so it seems fitting to ask you; with my iRiver story, I could access the root of the device, create folders and simply drop and drag anything I wanted in to said folders. Then i could navigate to my desired folder, or simply sort alphabetically by either title, author or genre. Does the H20 offer similar functionality?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
That is the way I'm leaning, but the asymmetrical one handed shape with those buttons, headphone jack and larger screen really appeals to me.

I know you comment a lot here, I appreciate that, so it seems fitting to ask you; with my iRiver story, I could access the root of the device, create folders and simply drop and drag anything I wanted in to said folders. Then i could navigate to my desired folder, or simply sort alphabetically by either title, author or genre. Does the H20 offer similar functionality?
Inkpad, yes. Aura H2O, not that I can see.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The H2O supports one level collections that can be managed with Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #37
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Inkpad, yes. Aura H2O, not that I can see.
You mention that epubs are prone to glitching on the Inkpad. Is this still the case with the older firmware, or if using a 3rd party reader, or is the problem completely fixed in this scenario?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The H2O supports one level collections that can be managed with Calibre.
What does "one level collections" mean? - I am not familiar with Calibre, I will check out some YouTube videos and see what it is.

Last edited by uppon2; 12-30-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #38
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mention that epubs are prone to glitching on the Inkpad. Is this still the case with the older firmware, or if using a 3rd party reader, or is the problem completely fixed in this scenario?.
The problem has been fixed.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #39
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
The problem has been fixed.
Thanks again for the information. I have a few more questions, if you would be so kind as to answer.

1. Can you elaborate on what highlighting, not taking and bookmarking is like?
2. Can you see stats of of individual books, hours read, hours to go, percentage completed, etc (and if you can see this, is it only while you have the book open or can you see a like a list of all of your titles, with the stats showing next to them?
3. Is there something similar to kindle vocabulary builder?
4. Your current review doesn't reflect on the changes you have mentioned in this thread, is there anything that you still find annoying about the device?
5. If this is not your favorite reader, could you tell me what is, please.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Thanks again for the information. I have a few more questions, if you would be so kind as to answer.

1. Can you elaborate on what highlighting, not taking and bookmarking is like?
2. Can you see stats of of individual books, hours read, hours to go, percentage completed, etc (and if you can see this, is it only while you have the book open or can you see a like a list of all of your titles, with the stats showing next to them?
3. Is there something similar to kindle vocabulary builder?
4. Your current review doesn't reflect on the changes you have mentioned in this thread, is there anything that you still find annoying about the device?
5. If this is not your favorite reader, could you tell me what is, please.

On my current firmware, bookmarks are a one-click operation. Notes, highlights, dictionary, sharing, are a single press and hold away.

The InkPad doesn't offer those kind of reading stats.

There's no vocabulary builder, although you could approximate one with the notes/bookmarks journal.

This is my favorite of the larger ereaders. I also have a favorite 6" ereader.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #41
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
On my current firmware, bookmarks are a one-click operation. Notes, highlights, dictionary, sharing, are a single press and hold away.

The InkPad doesn't offer those kind of reading stats.

There's no vocabulary builder, although you could approximate one with the notes/bookmarks journal.

This is my favorite of the larger ereaders. I also have a favorite 6" ereader.
Thanks. Out of curiosity, which 6" do you like best?
Old 01-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #42
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Thanks. Out of curiosity, which 6" do you like best?
The Boyue T61 (a Chinese Android ereader), aka the Icarus Illumina
Old 01-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #43
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
What does "one level collections" mean? - I am not familiar with Calibre, I will check out some YouTube videos and see what it is.
They're tags rather than folders. One book can be in multiple collections but you can't nest collections. You can create them on the device itself but you can also use Calibre and set it up in a way that it creates collections on the device using the tags you assigned the books inside Calibre.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:50 AM   #44
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
The Boyue T61 (a Chinese Android ereader), aka the Icarus Illumina
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
They're tags rather than folders. One book can be in multiple collections but you can't nest collections. You can create them on the device itself but you can also use Calibre and set it up in a way that it creates collections on the device using the tags you assigned the books inside Calibre.
That sounds rather annoying. I am used to being able to have complete control of folders and grouping on my iRiver Story (original) - I don't think it is a total deal breaker but it certainly makes me feel like I have less control.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:46 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That sounds rather annoying. I am used to being able to have complete control of folders and grouping on my iRiver Story (original) - I don't think it is a total deal breaker but it certainly makes me feel like I have less control.
I'm afraid that, like it or not, using collections rather than folders is the way that all the mainstream reading devices have gone.

You can store your books in whatever folder structure you wish, but the folders will be "flattened out" in the device's library screen.

If, however, you go with a generic Android device, rather than a dedicated reader, you can then run the truly wonderful "Calibre Companion" which (provided you maintain your ebook library in Calibre) is an infinitely better way to manage your book collection than any system of folders or collections.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, comparison, kobo, pocketbook