Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'
EditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toys

Device: none
Save or Save a Copy?

I'm beginning to use the Calibre Editor instead of Sigil, but I can't figure out where the editor saves the book. If I click Save, then go to Calibre to upload the book and test it in various formats, the file in my document folder does not show a recent save. If I click Save a Copy, and navigate to the folder and click on the file I want to replace, I now have the most recent save. That doesn't constitute a lot of extra work, but it is puzzling.

I assume that the editor saves the files in some deep, dark, secret place in my computer that I have yet to find. (it doesn't go to the Calibre Library). Since there are no save options available in preferences, I don't know how to tell the program to save in the folder I would like to specify.

I found some older threads about save issues, but they didn't seem to apply. Any thoughts?
EditorOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorOne View Post
I'm beginning to use the Calibre Editor instead of Sigil, but I can't figure out where the editor saves the book. If I click Save, then go to Calibre to upload the book and test it in various formats, the file in my document folder does not show a recent save. If I click Save a Copy, and navigate to the folder and click on the file I want to replace, I now have the most recent save. That doesn't constitute a lot of extra work, but it is puzzling.

I assume that the editor saves the files in some deep, dark, secret place in my computer that I have yet to find. (it doesn't go to the Calibre Library). Since there are no save options available in preferences, I don't know how to tell the program to save in the folder I would like to specify.

I found some older threads about save issues, but they didn't seem to apply. Any thoughts?
'Save'
overwrites the original...wherever it was (assumes proper permissions)

'Save a copy'
allows you choice.
So the big Q.
Where did you put it (and what did you name it)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'
EditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toys

It never asked me where to put it. I assumed it would go to the folder from which I opened the original file, using the same file name as the original. But it doesn't. It shows the most recent save as the last time the original file was saved by Sigil.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It never asked me where to put it. I assumed it would go to the folder from which I opened the original file, using the same file name as the original. But it doesn't. It shows the most recent save as the last time the original file was saved by Sigil.
What OS?

Windows brings up a file dialog when using 'Save a copy'
FWIW a 'Save as' usually allows a file format selection. Save a copy does not convert
Old 12-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'

I'm using Windows 8.1. it's very puzzling. I can manage the problem, but I don't understand why when I save, the file in use does not show the time the file was modified (which I have set to view in my folder). Thanks. I'll keep fiddling with it and if it suddenly is fixed, I'll let you know.
Advert
Old 12-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'm using Windows 8.1. it's very puzzling. I can manage the problem, but I don't understand why when I save, the file in use does not show the time the file was modified (which I have set to view in my folder). Thanks. I'll keep fiddling with it and if it suddenly is fixed, I'll let you know.
It's Windows
Been using Win since 3.11. (95, 95c, 98, 98se, XPpro, W7HP/Pro)
They fix stuff that ain't broke and break stuff that was not in need of fixing .

Is W8, ME resurrected
Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It works fine in Windows 8 (and 8.1) - like shooting ducks on a pond

@EditorOne, if you started the editor from within a calibre library the book should be saved in the book folder. Press O on the book in the book list and the folder will open. Check its attributes (read only ?) and permissions.

Otherwise check the attributes and permissions of the file you started with. Rumour is, one of the popular torrent clients has started marking finished torrents as read only - maybe you fell down that rabbit hole too.

Save As works as the same as other applications such as Sigil, spreadsheets, text editors, image editors, you have to tell it where to save.

As a final resort you could try bypassing the Windows file dialogues, not sure of it works in Win 8, see CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS in Customizing calibre — Environment Variables

Added - What file system are you using on 8.1, I came across one the other day with ReFS installed... owner wondered why things didn't work, it was a bespoke system built for gaming <sigh>

No problems on Windows 10 Preview with NTFS

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-13-2014 at 10:37 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
I'm using Windows 8.1. it's very puzzling. I can manage the problem, but I don't understand why when I save, the file in use does not show the time the file was modified...
Windows 8.1 File Explorer definitely updates time correctly for the existing file when it is saved, and so overwritten, from Calibre's Editor (version 2.12).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Windows 8.1 File Explorer definitely updates time correctly for the existing file when it is saved, and so overwritten, from Calibre's Editor (version 2.12).
True, although sometimes in Win8.1 if File Explorer is open when I save, the FE window doesn't update. If I press F5 while in File Explorer, it updates.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
True, although sometimes in Win8.1 if File Explorer is open when I save, the FE window doesn't update. If I press F5 while in File Explorer, it updates.
Windows 8.1 is not alone in this, the refreshing of the File Explorer (Windows Explorer on earlier Windows versions) sometimes not happening after a change unless the window is manually refreshed has been around for many years (can't recall for XP but certainly for Vista, 7 and now 8). {EDIT: I wonder if it was this that theducks was alluding to?}

Given that, my comment in my earlier post was aimed at File Explorer updates being no different after a save from Editor than they are from any other application i.e. the save behaviour of Editor in Windows 8 is normal.

The refresh is not something that worries me so I have not tested or taken much notice of this, but I think that if left long enough the window may refresh itself (always? or sometimes?). That leads me to think that the quirk or "feature" is perhaps related to something in the Windows handling of its write caching buffer and File (Windows) Explorer.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 12-14-2014 at 03:37 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What OS?

Windows brings up a file dialog when using 'Save a copy'
FWIW a 'Save as' usually allows a file format selection. Save a copy does not convert
In the Calibre editor, there is no "Save as" choice. You either save or save a copy. What do I do if I want to save the current file under a different name? It appears my only choice is to save a copy, then close the current file and open the copy to edit and revise. My purpose is that i need to make some major changes without losing what I have done previously (just in case I really screw it up with the changes). I'm getting different issues with various devices that I'm trying to resolve.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'

Another question, maybe for another thread?
What do the different colors mean in the Calibre CSS?
In general, everything before the colon is green; after the colon I get either green or orange. Does the different color suggest an error? I had thought it was distinguishing between text (green) and numbers (orange) in the definition, but with "color: black;" the word "black" is orange.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
In the Calibre editor, there is no "Save as" choice. You either save or save a copy. What do I do if I want to save the current file under a different name? It appears my only choice is to save a copy, then close the current file and open the copy to edit and revise. My purpose is that i need to make some major changes without losing what I have done previously (just in case I really screw it up with the changes). I'm getting different issues with various devices that I'm trying to resolve.
open, save as "ebook-original.epub", and update the main copy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Another question, maybe for another thread?
What do the different colors mean in the Calibre CSS?
In general, everything before the colon is green; after the colon I get either green or orange. Does the different color suggest an error? I had thought it was distinguishing between text (green) and numbers (orange) in the definition, but with "color: black;" the word "black" is orange.
It is common in programming type editors to color code various parts
Keywords
arguments
comments
literals (text)
brackets

in the CSS, some arguments are keywords: page-break-before: always rather than just a mix of values and units (a keyword): font-size: 2em;

Incomplete entries may assume the WRONG color .foo { stuff (no closing }, a missing semicolon ...)
The validator is the true test.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is common in programming type editors to color code various parts
Keywords
arguments
comments
literals (text)
brackets

in the CSS, some arguments are keywords: page-break-before: always rather than just a mix of values and units (a keyword): font-size: 2em;

Incomplete entries may assume the WRONG color .foo { stuff (no closing }, a missing semicolon ...)
The validator is the true test.
Thanks. That makes sense, but in my transition from Sigil to Calibre editor, I was used to everything in black.

Tags
calibre editor, folder, open book, save, save a copy