Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2023, 06:24 PM   #1
veganvans
veganvans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Problem with my Glo

I have recently tried to reset my Kobo glo as I was having issues trying to upload books from my library, all was going fine and then my kobo was stuck on a page that was saying it was resetting, after it told me to connect to my computer. I was trying to set it up and it then suddenly went to a white screen during an update and been stuck on this screen for a week now with flashing lines down the middle of the screen going vertically. These lines pop up when I turn on the kobo and try to reset it and then freeze on the screen when the kobo is out of power.

I have tried resetting it numerous times by pressing the reset button at the bottom or doing the hold light button and on and off thing and it just turns off and then turns back on to this screen. Is the screen damaged somehow or is it a hardware thing? Anyone experience anything similar? I've literally have had no issues and have no idea how damage to the screen could have occurred as I did not drop it or anything before this showed up on the screen. Any Ideas?
veganvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 06:45 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You probably missed the mandatory update in order for factory resets to keep working. Your firmware is too old, so you can't connect to the Kobo servers anymore. Grab the latest firmware from here:

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

and install it manually by connecting your Glo to a PC over USB and copying KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:25 PM   #3
veganvans

Thanks for that, my Kobo won't connect to my computer though when I am connecting in via USB my computer is not picking it up
Old 10-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Can you post a picture of the screen? I think I misread your post; I thought you were talking about the line of animated dots for the boot animation, but if you have weird lines running across the screen, it sounds like you've fallen victim to hardware failure that you probably can't fix. The Glo is 11 years old now, so you'll probably have to buy a Clara to replace it.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 08:16 PM   #5
veganvans

Thats what I feared, here is whats showing up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1,010.0 KB
ID:	204140  
Old 10-06-2023, 08:53 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You could try replacing your Glo's internal µSD card with a new one that you have imaged with a Glo image. I'll send a PM with a link to the image and the instructions. If there are hardware issues, this won't help but relatively low cost way to see if you can revive your Glo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:00 PM   #7
Snafu_PL
Snafu_PL began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO N613
Did you solve the problem ?
After updating to the latest version I have the same problem.
repeated reinstallation does not help
Snafu_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:04 PM   #8
TheJesus
Holier than thou
TheJesus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You could try replacing your Glo's internal µSD card with a new one that you have imaged with a Glo image. I'll send a PM with a link to the image and the instructions. If there are hardware issues, this won't help but relatively low cost way to see if you can revive your Glo.

This is the way

Had that exact same problem on my Glo today. Loaded a fresh sd card image, factory reset and problem solved. Or at least partly. My Glo works, it just won't connect to wifi anymore. Haven't figured out why yet. But those running lines should be fixable just like DNSB described.
TheJesus is offline   Reply With Quote