Notices

Old 12-09-2023, 05:26 PM   #46
Taubin
Barely a reader
Taubin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
A few years ago there was a case where conflicting case in the shelf/collection names could break syncing:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...29&postcount=6
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...07#post4174307

Interestingly, purging my collections resolved the sync issue I was having. Only 10 cats, but a few had 100+ books. It's possible that there was some issue similar to the case-sensitivity though.

Attachment 199884

I'm going to nuke fiction and freebies, and look into splitting others to see if it helps.
Sorry if this is something obvious I've missed, but can anyone point me in the direction of the collection editor in the attachment? It looks like it's in Calibre but I don't see it offhand on mine.

Thanks!

Last edited by Taubin; 12-09-2023 at 05:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Taubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:45 PM   #47
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Yes, Calibre. I have a custom taglike column that KoboTouch(Extended) uses to generate the collections. The screenshit is the category manager, right-click the column in tag browser and 'manage.'

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-09-2023 at 05:47 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 06:02 PM   #48
Taubin
Barely a reader
Taubin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Thank you so much! That will make my shelving and tagging much easier.
Taubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:18 AM   #49
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This happened to me again today. Syncing either failed or stalled indefinitely. Deleting all collections fixed sync.

EDIT: It appears to have been caused by a certain critical mass of books in one collection. I deleted a bunch of reads, seems to help.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-13-2024 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:14 PM   #50
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
Deleting all collections fixed sync.
Just wondering how do you delete the collections?

I have about 20 collections so decided to delete them through the database. I did it incorrectly (it looks like a value should be changed, not just delete everything) and after a synch I had to delete one manually. The collection I had to delete manually might have been the problem.

So far I have not had any issues for about 4 months, which is extremely rare... Having said that I may need to do a reset anyway as it has been having random battery drain issues recently.
Rid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:28 PM   #51
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I delete them on the device. When re-connecting to Calibre afterwards, KoboTouch(Extended) re-creates them.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:33 PM   #52
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
I delete them on the device. When re-connecting to Calibre afterwards, KoboTouch(Extended) re-creates them.
No worries thanks. Geez I must be lazy
Old 02-16-2024, 07:53 PM   #53
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I noticed that sometimes changes to collections don't always 'stick' unless you do it on the device, especially for Kobo store books.

As an example, I have a To Be Read collection. If I use Calibre to remove a book from it, store books tend to re-appear in it after a sync.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:58 PM   #54
Rid
Groupie

No help here, but that sounds oddly familiar.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:17 AM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
This is likely the collections syncing back from Kobo to the ereader for books purchased from Kobo. If I remember correctly, you can also find empty collections being recreated.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 05:24 AM   #56
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yeah, pretty much that. For some reason, a lot of changes only stick if you do them on the device itself.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:21 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you have calibre set to auto metadata management, empty collections get deleted automatically. They only get created when the collections do not exist and you put something in them. They do not get recreated just by connecting to your calibre library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:14 PM   #58
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I wasn't talking about empty collections.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:40 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I wasn't talking about empty collections.
Gotcha!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 02:15 PM   #60
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

A further update on this: It seems the sync stalling out indefinitely wasn't entirely down to the collections but instead a cruddy modem.