Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
rosereader
rosereader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O ed.2
How to read library ebooks effortlessly?

Hi! I'm trying to read some library ebooks, but it's not working...
All I get from Adobe Digital Edition is "Error! Check Activation." I can't even put the book on my computer. I had problems before with ADE (couldn't open the book on the kobo) so I downgrade to ADE 3.0, but it updated on its own.
Is there any other software that is compatible with kobo for library ebooks or do I have to keep removing and installing ADE every time I want to read a new ebook?
Or is there a way to at least keep it from updating?
All I want is to be able to read on my lovely ereader...
rosereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
You'll probably have to provide a little more information. Are you in the United States? Does your Adobe Digital Edition work for books you buy (or do you buy all your books directly from Kobo)? Does your ADE login work? Which Kobo device are you using? Are you trying to borrow books from Overdrive? – or from some other service?

I recently found that I could borrow ePubs from Overdrive, in the United States, directly from my Tolino Page. But you should be able to able to borrow ePubs on your Kobo using ADE, unless you have the Kobo One, I think Kobo One works like the Kindle, you borrow the books and they show up in your Kobo store.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosereader View Post
Hi! I'm trying to read some library ebooks, but it's not working...
All I get from Adobe Digital Edition is "Error! Check Activation."
The latest Kobo firmware should work with the recent versions of ADE. It is possible that ADE has been updated since whatever version of the firmware you are using was released. We need to see version numbers to have an idea.
Quote:
I can't even put the book on my computer. I had problems before with ADE (couldn't open the book on the kobo) so I downgrade to ADE 3.0, but it updated on its own.
I'm using ADE 2.01 and it doesn't automatically upgrade. I'm sure there was an option somewhere that I unchecked to prevent any upgrade checks from happening. I would expect the ADE 3.0 to have the same option.

ADE 2.01 is usually recommended as the DRM has been cracked. This allows purchased books to be stripped of DRM and read on devices/apps that don't support DRM.
Quote:
Is there any other software that is compatible with kobo for library ebooks or do I have to keep removing and installing ADE every time I want to read a new ebook?
Not really. ADE is needed to download the books and put them on the device in a way that works with the DRM. About the only other application I can think of that did this was put out by Sony for their ereaders. But, this wouldn't have worked with other devices. Some ereaders support downloaded books with Adobe DRM using the browser, but Kobo doesn't. The only way to get books with Adobe DRM onto a Kobo is via ADE.

The only other choice I can think of involves an Aura ONE. These have integration into the Kobo store and Overdrive. This allows books borrowing from the device and books borrowed from OD will also be downloaded through the store. The Aura ONE has options to connect the OD account to your Kobo account. Once this is done, the borrowing is enabled on the device. But, any books borrowed using this OD account will be downloaded to other devices logged into the Kobo account. If you can borrow an Aura ONE, you can do the setup, and then give it back. But, the owner need to sign-out of their account on the Aura ONE first and then do the setup again later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I don't know if the newer Kobo's handle it better, but reading DRM library books is a pain on my Mini. Most of the time they refuse to load. Stripping the DRM via DeDRM in Calibre is the best workaround I've found.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:05 AM   #5
rosereader

I'm in Canada. There is one library that works with Overdrive and I made it work with the ADE 3.0 (and it still works now with the 4.5.8 so I'm not exavtly sure what the problem was in the first place), but this other library is not with Overdrive. I'll try to downgrade again to ADE 2 and see how if it works.
And I tried the kobo browser to download the book, but like Davidfor said, it doesn't work.
And I'm not ready to strip DRM from library books. If I don't find any other solution maybe, but I aven't given up hope
Old 06-28-2018, 02:27 AM   #6
rosereader

Yeah! Mission accomplished with ADE 2.0.1! But I still can't find where to prevent it from updating... I'll have to dig a bit more on that.
Thanks everyone
Old 06-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosereader View Post
Yeah! Mission accomplished with ADE 2.0.1! But I still can't find where to prevent it from updating... I'll have to dig a bit more on that.
Thanks everyone
I've had ADE 2.0.1 installed for quite a few years and it has never offered an update nor has it automatically updated. Unlike many Adobe products it does not have an Check for Updates item under the Help menu.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
i_m_sherlocked
i_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Clara HD, ASUS Transformer Book T100TA
has anyone gotten the new firmware update roll-out with OverDrive support yet??? if so, thoughts??!
i_m_sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_sherlocked View Post
has anyone gotten the new firmware update roll-out with OverDrive support yet??? if so, thoughts??!
I haven't noticed any difference in the way it works on my Clara HD compared to my Aura One. The only issue I've noticed is the occasional book where the library has a different version from the Kobo store (you'll notice different ISBNs) and I have to revert to ADE and sideloading.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I don't know if the newer Kobo's handle it better, but reading DRM library books is a pain on my Mini. Most of the time they refuse to load. Stripping the DRM via DeDRM in Calibre is the best workaround I've found.
That's odd, they work fine on my Mini, as well as my H2O. I am using ADE 3.0. So far it has been a breeze, load and go. Are your date and time settings correct? Just a thought.
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, library ebooks