Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Charging & Freezing Problem

Hello,

I am having a lot of trouble charging my Sony Reader. It has gone from bad to horrible.

I have the wall charger (Sony brand) but even if I leave it plugged in for hours it barely charges anything. And often when I unplug the charger the screen has frozen and I have to use the reset button.

Any ideas? I have tried a hard reset and the problem got a little better for a very short time but now it is back to about the same.

Thanks in advance.
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It could be a bad battery, but it could also be a faulty charger. Do you know anyone who has a PSP you can borrow the charger from?

If it isn't the charger you should be able to send back the reader and get it fixed or exchange it.

Good luck!
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
Hello,

I am having a lot of trouble charging my Sony Reader. It has gone from bad to horrible.

I have the wall charger (Sony brand) but even if I leave it plugged in for hours it barely charges anything. And often when I unplug the charger the screen has frozen and I have to use the reset button.

Any ideas? I have tried a hard reset and the problem got a little better for a very short time but now it is back to about the same.

Thanks in advance.
I had very similar problems - they went away when I bought a replacement battery.

But I am not sure I would recommend buying one right away - if at all possible, see if you can test it with an alternative battery. Otherwise, it might be wasted money.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Mimi Bond
Mimi Bond will become famous soon enoughMimi Bond will become famous soon enoughMimi Bond will become famous soon enoughMimi Bond will become famous soon enoughMimi Bond will become famous soon enoughMimi Bond will become famous soon enough

Device: sony reader PRS-600 touch edition
oupss, I exactly have the same problem and hesitate to return my prs600 to Sony. my battery doesn't last long and I also have this "freeze" screen once in a while. I have to re-connect the device on my computer to make it work again. It's not so bad but not really reliable any more
is the replacement quick & effective?
Mimi Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I had very similar problems - they went away when I bought a replacement battery.

But I am not sure I would recommend buying one right away - if at all possible, see if you can test it with an alternative battery. Otherwise, it might be wasted money.
Do you mean you bought a replacement battery charger or a completely new battery that is inside the reader? How would I test an alternative battery?

Thanks,
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Double post

Last edited by vxf; 06-29-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
Do you mean you bought a replacement battery charger or a completely new battery that is inside the reader? How would I test an alternative battery?

Thanks,
Well, for some reason I thought you had a PRS-900, not a 600. I misread the tag. I have a PRS-900 - I bought a new battery, not the charger, and replaced it. I know you can do that only on some models - not sure about the 600, sorry.

And how to test it - well, in my case, I walked into the local Best Buy and convinced them to let me try the battery from their display model...

You actually might want to take a look at an old thread from this website, specifically discussing getting/replacing batteries for the prs600:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83381