Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2022, 08:31 AM   #1
quoc187
quoc187 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 11th
Talking Is this possible to downgrade non-jailbreaken PW5 from 5.15.1 to lower version?

I just bought it 3 days ago, and at that time I did not doubt updating my kindle to the latest FW version(5.15.1) and locked myself away from installing koreader, afaik I need to downgrade to jailbreak. I spent time searching thru the internet and got no luck. Is there a way? or no way? Please helppp.
quoc187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You also need jailbreak to be able to downgrade, sooo... Nope, no way.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
quoc187

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
You also need jailbreak to be able to downgrade, sooo... Nope, no way.
Thank you, you just ruined my day
Old 11-02-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoc187 View Post
I just bought it 3 days ago, and at that time I did not doubt updating my kindle to the latest FW version(5.15.1) and locked myself away from installing koreader, afaik I need to downgrade to jailbreak. I spent time searching thru the internet and got no luck. Is there a way? or no way? Please helppp.
Is there a bad pixel or two on the screen? Some other reason to return it for an exchange? Can you return it for a refund? Other than that all you can do is wait and hope someone finds another way to JB in the future.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:41 AM   #5
quoc187

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Is there a bad pixel or two on the screen? Some other reason to return it for an exchange? Can you return it for a refund? Other than that all you can do is wait and hope someone finds another way to JB in the future.

Dave
Unfortunately, I couldnt find one, the screen looks perfectly clean. Hope the community could find a way.
Advert
Old 11-02-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoc187 View Post
Unfortunately, I couldnt find one, the screen looks perfectly clean. Hope the community could find a way.
What is the return for refund policy where you bought it? Many retailers allow returns for any reason within 30 days of purchase. Maybe you just found that it did not meet your expectations, which of course it did not as you were unable to JB it and customize it.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:00 AM   #7
hartleyshc
hartleyshc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen, KT4, PW4, PW5-SE
I sort of went through this recently.

Purchased a PW5-SE from Amazon US. Checked the SN during shipping. Week 33 manufacturing (first week of August). Arrived with 5.14.3. I knew of the JB during purchase so I was hoping for old stock.

Checked my local Best Buy, all of the units there were week 26 and 27. (YMMV obviously on this one). Now I havent seen any info on exactly when they switch over and use the latest firmware in production. But if someone wanted to be really safe. Just check the SN first and make sure its older than whenever 5.14.3 came out.

I checked on ebay, and there's plenty that you can find that are old enough production you can get one that is jailbreak-able out of the box. Also different regions and retailers will obviously have different stock options than what is local for me.

It's posted in another thread here, but when checking serial numbers, you want to check the 9th-12th digits. 9th digit is year (1 or 2 for 2021 and 2022), 10th and 11th are the week it was made (01-52), and the 12th digit is the day of the week (0-7). For the weeks, anything made before 2022 week 16 should be good to go.

The other option, as others have said, is to wait for a new jb which might, or might not happen.

Last edited by hartleyshc; 11-03-2022 at 10:15 AM.
hartleyshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:05 AM   #8
quoc187

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
What is the return for refund policy where you bought it? Many retailers allow returns for any reason within 30 days of purchase. Maybe you just found that it did not meet your expectations, which of course it did not as you were unable to JB it and customize it.

Dave
Thank you Dave
I bought my device from a guy who order from amz and pass to me, my kindle did come with guarantee of 30days returning but only if i found a manufacture problem. Hence theres no chance to return for buying later i believe.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:12 AM   #9
quoc187

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartleyshc View Post

Purchased a PW5-SE from Amazon US. Checked the SN during shipping. Week 33 manufacturing (first week of August). Arrived with 5.14.3. I knew of the JB during purchase so I was hoping for old stock.

Checked my local Best Buy, all of the units there were week 26 and 27. (YMMV obviously on this one). Now I havent seen any info on exactly when they switch over and use the latest firmware in production. But if someone wanted to be really safe. Just check the SN first and make sure its older than whenever 5.14.3 came out.

I checked on ebay, and there's plenty that you can find that are old enough production you can get one that is jailbreak-able out of the box. Also different regions and retailers will obviously have different stock options than what is local for me.

It's posted in another thread here, but when checking serial numbers, you want to check the 9th-12th digits. 9th digit is year (1 or 2), 10th and 11th are the week it was made (01-52), and the 12th digit is the day of the week (0-7). For the weeks, anything made before 2022 week 16 should be good to go.

The other option, as others have said, is to wait for a new jb which might, or might not happen.
I dont know that much about checking SN, newer is usually better without a reason, seems the idea of returning isnt a solution.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #10
quoc187

No more waiting, I switched to Kobo Clara 2E which is smaller, better screen, and stupid at book transferring and synchronizing
Old 12-14-2022, 05:55 AM   #11
MintBanana
MintBanana began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
Paperwhite firmware / manuf. date

Quote:
Week 33 manufacturing (first week of August). Arrived with 5.14.3.
I have opened multiple PW5 devices and here's my understanding so far:
- up to week 24-26 - 5.14.2
- after week 33 - 5.14.3+

Week 24 - checked 2 devices. Week 26 - 1 device, so could be a one-off.

Can anyone help with determining the "switch date" to the newer FW? Please post the firmware version (out of the box, before updates) and check your Serial number (or post it here without last 4 symbols). The date is determined by 4 digits: G001LG122285xxxx (YWWD - year 2 week 28 day 5).

I have a few of week 27-28 Paperwhites, want to be somewhat sure about their firmware without opening the box. Thanks in advance.
MintBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #12
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintBanana View Post
Can anyone help with determining the "switch date" to the newer FW? Please post the firmware version (out of the box, before updates) and check your Serial number (or post it here without last 4 symbols). The date is determined by 4 digits: G001LG122285xxxx (YWWD - year 2 week 28 day 5).

I have a few of week 27-28 Paperwhites, want to be somewhat sure about their firmware without opening the box. Thanks in advance.

I bought my PW5 (Kids Edition, gotta get that free cover) back in July 2022, my SN is G001 PX11 2132 XXXX. Lot code of 00213. Also came with 5.14.0.1 out of box.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:45 PM   #13
onlyra
onlyra began at the beginning.

Device: KT, KPW3
Question

Quote:

It's posted in another thread here, but when checking serial numbers, you want to check the 9th-12th digits. 9th digit is year (1 or 2 for 2021 and 2022), 10th and 11th are the week it was made (01-52), and the 12th digit is the day of the week (0-7). For the weeks, anything made before 2022 week 16 should be good to go.

This could be very useful since I want to buy a new one from my neighbor but it has on the back of the box: DSN G001PX1123620H9L. It can't be made in 2023, week 62, so how do I interpret this DSN? The Kindle is sealed, so I can't turn it on to see what firmware it has.

Last edited by onlyra; 12-27-2022 at 04:52 PM. Reason: correction
onlyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:56 PM   #14
MintBanana
MintBanana began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyra View Post
G001PX1123620H9L.
That's week 36. FW version is 5.15.1. It's NOT jailbreakable
MintBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #15
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
No, it is 2-36-2. Meaning it is 2022, week 36, day 2. It most probably has too recent FW. Look for 2-17-x or earlier. This is the week when 5.14.3 was released, the first non-JB one.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote