Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #46
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes there are many external links that need to be udpated.

Thanks for letting me know.

Edit:

I fixed those links in my local repo copy and will push it after the next major set of changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
There are two links in the file "manage_plugins.html" that result in 404 errors when I click on them. The two files, testplugin_v013.zip and Sigil_Plugin_Framework_rev8.epub apparently are no longer available in the repo :

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/tree/master/docs.

We might want to update those links while we are fixing things.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-19-2021 at 02:41 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #47
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I just tried once again to merge in all of the modified image files into the sigil-user-guide repo. I tracked down most of the duplication and the image file name mismatches and have just a handful of unused files left to track down and fix.

I have updated the latest version on the first post of this thread with the latest version of src_updated.epub (which should now match the repo).

I still really would like to get at least 2 volunteers to create these 2 new chapters at a minimum:

1. A tutorial on using CheckPoints to save create a checkpoint to save its current state, compare the current epub to a previously made checkpoint, doing a restore from a previous checkpoint, and use manage checkpoint repos to delete no longer needed repositories.

2. A tutorial on using Preview's Inspector to see the exact css that impacts a particular element and some of the other Advanced Features of the Inspector (javscript console, memory usage, etc.) Perhaps a link to external documentation on Chrome's Developer Tools / Inspector.

If anyone wants to volunteer for any of those, I would greatly appreciate it as my writing is too verbose and I skip over too many details that appear to be too obvious to me but obviously not to others.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-19-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Advert
Old 02-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #48
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
Quote:
I still really would like to get at least 2 volunteers to create these 2 new chapters at a minimum:

1. A tutorial on using CheckPoints to save create a checkpoint to save its current state, compare the current epub to a previously made checkpoint, doing a restore from a previous checkpoint, and use manage checkpoint repos to delete no longer needed repositories.

2. A tutorial on using Preview's Inspector to see the exact css that impacts a particular element and some of the other Advanced Features of the Inspector (javscript console, memory usage, etc.) Perhaps a link to external documentation on Chrome's Developer Tools / Inspector.
I would happily volunteer for one of those, but I know nothing about either of those tools, so it would involve me taking some time to learn how they work. I will go study the Inspector to see if I can learn enough about it to write a reasonable description of it.

Stay tuned.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #49
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Great! Thank you! I created a rough first draft of the CheckPoint tutorial myself.

I will push it to the user-guide repo and update the epub attachment in the first post.

Edit: Pushed to the user guide repo and src_updated.epub has just now been updated a second time today.

This epub is starting to get big (13 meg) because of all the photos. I think we will want to try to reduce sizes and depths if need be to get this back to a more reasonable size.

Thanks to all!

Last edited by KevinH; 02-19-2021 at 05:19 PM. Reason: posted a new version again
Old 02-19-2021, 08:05 PM   #50
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I am almost finished updating the User Interface chapter.

Question: What is "Format > Remove Tag Pair" supposed to do? How does it work? This is also the toolbar button that looks like <x>

For the life of me, I can't get it to do anything! So I'm not sure what explanation to provide.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #51
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I am almost finished updating the User Interface chapter.

Question: What is "Format > Remove Tag Pair" supposed to do? How does it work? This is also the toolbar button that looks like <x>

For the life of me, I can't get it to do anything! So I'm not sure what explanation to provide.
I think if you have something like:

Code:
<p>This is a <span class="useless"><b>bold</b></span> example.</p>
and you are in the <span>, Remove Tag Pair will remove the matching <span> + </span>.

1. Click inside the opening <span> here (marked with |):

Code:
<p>This is a <span| class="useless"><b>bold</b></span> example.</p>
2. Press Format > Remove Tag Pair, and you'll get:

Code:
<p>This is a <b>bold</b> example.</p>
Very helpful when trying to clean up bad code.

I assume the opposite works too:

1. Click inside the closing </span>:

Code:
<p>This is a <span class="useless"><b>bold</b></span|> example.</p>
2. Press Remove Tag Pair:

Code:
<p>This is a <b>bold</b> example.</p>

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-19-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:09 PM   #52
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, if you click the cursor in an open or close tag with nothing else highlighted, you should be able to use Remove Tag Pair to remove that tag and its matching counterpart.

There have been a few bug fixes since your macOS version of 1.5.0 related to moving into the tag using arrow keys not working but your version does not have those fixes (yet).
Old 02-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #53
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh dear lord I kept selecting text expecting the button to remove the tag pair surrounding the selected text. I even tried selecting the text plus the tag pair. It never occurred to me to simply click the cursor inside the tag itself
Old 02-19-2021, 10:37 PM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Sorry about that! I should have explained it. It was implemented by request after open / close tag pair highlighting was added and some other related auto selections.

FYI current master has also added a related feature that will let you double click in a tag to select its contents, and shift double click in a tag to select both the tag and its contents.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:35 PM   #55
odamizu
just an egg

Don't apologize! I feel silly that I couldn't figure it out
Old 02-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #56
KevinH
Sigil Developer

For those helping out and following along. I have just pushed to the repo a new version of the user guide that has some inconsistencies cleaned up and finally passes epubcheck (at least on my machine).

Interestingly epubcheck does not appear to care about extra images in the manifest that are not used anyplace but flightcrew nicely detects these and complains.

I will be removing them to clean up space unless it turns out we need them for some of the revisions.

In the first post, I have updated the user guide epub again and added revision info so that others can figure out if it is newer than what they have now or not.

The new version is called src_updated_20210220_01.epub.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #57
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
This epub is starting to get big (13 meg) because of all the photos. I think we will want to try to reduce sizes and depths if need be to get this back to a more reasonable size.

Thanks to all!
Kevin, would you like me to have a look at the image files to see if I can make some savings?

Looking at the folder of images I produced the vast majority are less than 50k in size, but there are a few that could probably be squeezed down.

Current stats: 173 files 7.18MB.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #58
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, that would be wonderful. But please grab the src_updated*.epub from the first post in this thread as I have fixed a number of file naming inconsistencies that occurred over the years so they will not all match what you posted for me originally, plus there are a number of new images associated with new chapters and revised chapters.

There are a few screenshots that I added for my draft chapters that were taken on my mac and could be huge.

Anything you can do to save file size without hurting things too much would be appreciated. If you need me to remake my new images in a different way or in a smaller size, please let me know.

Thank you.

Image processing is not my forte!
Old 02-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #59
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
OK - I will have a look and see what I can do to reduce the size without sacrificing too much quality.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #60
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
I am researching how the Inspector works, and I have a basic plan on how to write the tutorial for that tool.

The inspector appears to be a huge tool, so I suspect that I will write a rather brief overview of its capabilities and add a link to the Google Dev documentation for anyone who wants all the details. I plan on starting out with a definition of the DOM versus the HTML and other high level concepts. Then I will add some examples of how to inspect the nodes etc. etc.

It looks like the version of the inspector being invoked in Sigil has some tabs and tools that are fairly irrelevant to inspecting an eBook, for example network data. Not sure what to do with those.

How close is the Sigil version to the browser version. Is this the same code?
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote