Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #271
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
It can leave the original arrow, which is the most universal and looks much better on readers than on a computer.
Or use the double.

I confirm that on some readers the bold arrow either disappears or appears as a crossed rectangle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nook-arrows.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	185985   Click image for larger version

Name:	ade45-arrows.png
Views:	142
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	185986  
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #272
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Okay based on all of the above:

1. I converted the heavy right arrow that ADE does not support to a arrowdblright which according to ADE docs and BeckyEbook's post above should work.

2. Added the required color to the pre.example css

3. Fixed a number of images related to Reports that somehow showed the Sigil 1.4.3 version of the Reports instead of the Sigil 1.5.0 versions that I had missed earlier.

4. Renamed all .html files to .xhtml files and than ran ePub3-itizer to get an epub3 version

5. Ran Access Aide and filled in every single img alt tag with something more useful (hopefully as that took me hours because we had so many images!) and it added title tags, and aria roles, and set the language attributes and etc.

6. Used the Epub3 tools to "Update the Manifiest Properties" and then to Generate an NCX/Guide to make it more backwards compatibile.

7. Ran the Epubcheck plugin and it reported no problems.

So I have uploaded:

Sigil_User_Guide_2021.03.17_epub3.epub to the first post in this thread.

If people have a free moment, please download and test it on your favorite device to make sure the double arrow really works and that it can be viewed.

If it appears to be fine, I will update the sigil-user-guide repo with it tomorrow and make a new release.

Thanks to all for any feedback and testing on this latest attempt to get a final Sigil user guide in time for the upcoming Sigil 1.5.0 release.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 03-15-2021 at 05:16 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #273
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
I tested it on FBReader on my Android tablet, and it all appears to work fine. The double arrows look good.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #274
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
in parenthesis (single arrow, double arrow)

E-readers:
Nook Simple Touch (OK, OK)
Kobo Touch (OK, BAD [none, the arrow disappears])
KOReader on Kobo Touch (OK, OK)
Kindle Paperwhite 3 (file converted to mobi/azw3 (OK, OK)

Apps on Android:
AlReader (OK, OK)
AlReaderX (OK, OK)
Cool Reader (OK, BAD [question mark])
FBReader Premium (OK, OK)
Freda (OK, OK)
KOReader (OK, OK)
Librera Pro (OK, OK)
Moon+ Reader Pro (OK, OK)
Readera (OK, OK)
Supreader (OK, OK)

So the double arrow is OK in most cases. It is worth checking on other readers (Pocketbook, other Kobo models, Tolino, Onyx etc.)
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #275
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh well. Should we revert to the single right arrow we had before just for compatibility with all readers?

Alternatively we could easily convert it to a sequence of two or 3 characters (properly escaped) that are in the base ascii.

Code:
->
=>
-->
>>

Thoughts?

Last edited by KevinH; 03-15-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Advert
Old 03-15-2021, 06:37 PM   #276
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
I usually use => (equal and greater than) when I refer to menu selections. It always works.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #277
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
in parenthesis (single arrow, double arrow)

E-readers:
Nook Simple Touch (OK, OK)
Kobo Touch (OK, BAD [none, the arrow disappears])
KOReader on Kobo Touch (OK, OK)
Kindle Paperwhite 3 (file converted to mobi/azw3 (OK, OK)

So the double arrow is OK in most cases. It is worth checking on other readers (Pocketbook, other Kobo models, Tolino, Onyx etc.)
On my Forma using Charis SIL, the double arrow showed up okay. Testing the Kobo supplied fonts, only AR UDJingxihei, Kobo Tsukushi Mincho and Kobo UD Kakugo supported the double arrow glyph. If I converted the epub3 to kepub, the double arrow worked on any font since the kepub renderer will look for a missing glyph. Other than Courier Dark, my sideloaded fonts all supported the double arrow glyph.

On a Tolino EPOS, the double arrow worked with the default font.

The "=>" pair would likely be the best for catering to the LCD.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #278
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes using "=>" might be the easiest path forwards.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:55 AM   #279
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
As for the images, it looks like they were poorly downsampled. What version of ADE is this?
It is version 4.5.8.182857.

Not the latest version but I use it so infrequently, and it apparently does not auto-update. I have checked and downloaded the latest version which might make a difference.

I will let you know later.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:11 AM   #280
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes using "=>" might be the easiest path forwards.
As you say, going down that route is going to be the answer in my opinion.

= and > are standard characters that should display correctly on any reader in any font.

Also the latest version of ADE (4.5.11) seems to have cured the image problem as they now display fine.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1615889488
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adobe003.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	185992  
Old 03-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #281
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Good to know about the ADE update fix. Thanks.

I have changed to use => as the indicator and saved a new version. I will be posting it today and updating the user-guide repo with this version and making a user-guide release.

Thanks again everyone who tested the new version!

Edit:

Okay, the final version has been pushed to the sigil-user-guide repo and is now available in the first post of this thread as:

Sigil_User_Guide_2021.03.18_epub3.epub

Last edited by KevinH; 03-16-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #282
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Okay, the final version has been pushed to the sigil-user-guide repo and is now available in the first post of this thread as:

Sigil_User_Guide_2021.03.18_epub3.epub
Sorry to do this to you but I've spotted an error in about_epub in yesterday's version - I've not checked yet to see if it has continued into the latest one.

Quote:
Text files are stored in XHTML format (an XML compliant version of HTML), but to make the guide easier to read we’ll use HTML or XHTML almosgt interchangeably.
Edit:

It's still there.

Last edited by Ashjuk; 03-16-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #283
KevinH
Sigil Developer

And unfortunately it will stay there now as the Release has been made and I do not want to make 3 releases all for basically the same epub.

I will of course fix it in master so that the fix is there for the next release.

Thanks!

Edit: Pushed typo fix to master at sigil-user-guide so that fix will be in the next release.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-16-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #284
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
And unfortunately it will stay there now as the Release has been made and I do not want to make 3 releases all for basically the same epub.

I will of course fix it in master so that the fix is there for the next release.

Thanks!
No problem.

It's easy for anyone to correct using Sigil if they so desire.