Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
fredex
Enthusiast
fredex began at the beginning.

Device: none
First line of every chapter does not break correctly

I'm reading the Kindle edition of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's "Accepting the Lance" in Calibre. In Calibre 4.21 there is an issue with the first line of each chapter, wherein it extends several words beyond the right margin before the linebreak occurs.

Changing preferences in the calibre from "Paged" mode to "Flow" fixes the problem.

I have not been able to recreate the issue in Calibre 3.x. Likewise on my actual Kindle paperwhite it displays fine.

so I'm left to guess it is either a Calibre problem, or something weird in the CSS or html. While I'm no expert in either, they both look fine to me.

Code:
.pcalibre1:first-line {
    text-transform: uppercase
    }
Code:
  <body class="calibre" id="I3QM0-42e1df17df8e45d499273e237de08784">
<div class="calibre5" id="calibre_pb_17"></div>
<p class="part" id="calibre_toc_11">Jelaza Kazone</p>
<p class="p15">• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •</p>
<p class="pcalibre1 p5">“Last I heard, it was better to be doin’ something than doin’ nothin’,” Clarence said into the silence that followed Theo’s account of her meeting with the portmaster.</p>
This is the beginning of the first chapter, but the others are much the same.

note that class pcalibre1 attempts to set first line to all caps. if I comment out the body of pcalibre1 the problem goes away (along with the caps).

here's what it looks like on the page:

Moderator Notice
made into attachment (paperclip icon in advanced mode)

Thanks in advance!

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9LMLX.png
Views:	287
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	180759  

Last edited by theducks; 07-19-2020 at 02:40 PM.
fredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredex View Post
I'm reading the Kindle edition of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's "Accepting the Lance" in Calibre. In Calibre 4.21 there is an issue with the first line of each chapter, wherein it extends several words beyond the right margin before the linebreak occurs.

Changing preferences in the calibre from "Paged" mode to "Flow" fixes the problem.

I have not been able to recreate the issue in Calibre 3.x. Likewise on my actual Kindle paperwhite it displays fine.

so I'm left to guess it is either a Calibre problem, or something weird in the CSS or html. While I'm no expert in either, they both look fine to me.

Code:
.pcalibre1:first-line {
    text-transform: uppercase
    }
Code:
  <body class="calibre" id="I3QM0-42e1df17df8e45d499273e237de08784">
<div class="calibre5" id="calibre_pb_17"></div>
<p class="part" id="calibre_toc_11">Jelaza Kazone</p>
<p class="p15">• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •</p>
<p class="pcalibre1 p5">“Last I heard, it was better to be doin’ something than doin’ nothin’,” Clarence said into the silence that followed Theo’s account of her meeting with the portmaster.</p>
This is the beginning of the first chapter, but the others are much the same.

note that class pcalibre1 attempts to set first line to all caps. if I comment out the body of pcalibre1 the problem goes away (along with the caps).

here's what it looks like on the page:

made into attachment (paperclip icon in advanced mode)

Thanks in advance!

Fred
It appears to be a calibre viewer problem. This is what i did:

Quote:
.pcalibre:first-line {

/* text-transform: uppercase;*/
font-variant: small-caps;
}

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-07-19 15-10-50.png
Views:	283
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	180760
Using the unmodified epub shows normal in the server viewer.

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-07-19 15-25-03.png
Views:	274
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	180761
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you viewing mobi or KF8 (AZW3)?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
fredex
Enthusiast
fredex began at the beginning.

Device: none
@GBM, I didn't think of small caps, but may change it, if it works for you it'll likely work for me. thanks!

@JSWolf
AZW3, or AZW3 converted to EPUB. works the same way on both.
fredex is offline   Reply With Quote