Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Nook ST bites the dust ... but ...

No big surprise and quite possibly already posted elsewhere on MobileRead, but the Nook ST will no longer be produced. I checked the B&N website, and all references to the Nook ST have been expunged.

Goodbye old friend ... ReadHere

However, I have to admit that I gave up on my Nook ST about a month ago. It still works as "good as ever" ... and that's a dubious compliment. However, my iPad Mini and "Marvelous Marvin" are an unbeatable combination. Reading is more enjoyable, and that's what it's all about.

I no longer have to go through my list of "thou shalt not ..." to prevent all the troublesome quirks that can befall a Nook ST (too many to enumerate).

So, reading goes on ...
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
They did fire the engineering staff (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233564) so I'm not surprised...

I am surprised, however., that this is the first I heard of this article, a whole week later. I can't find any previous mention in the News subforum.

for this interesting piece of news! +1 karma boost
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I guess they have ceded the under $100 market in the US entirely to Amazon then. It's uncertain whether there will be a new Glowlight in fall 2014, but I hope they don't give it up because it would leave the US market with a lack of e-ink reader competition (tablet competition is fairly healthy).

BTW, B&N claims that they did not, in fact, fire the engineering staff.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
I guess they have ceded the under $100 market in the US entirely to Amazon then. It's uncertain whether there will be a new Glowlight in fall 2014, but I hope they don't give it up because it would leave the US market with a lack of e-ink reader competition (tablet competition is fairly healthy).

BTW, B&N claims that they did not, in fact, fire the engineering staff.
They confirmed they laid ppl off. Then they said they they didn't fire the hardware engineers.

News forum was based off this link, which says:
http://www.businessinsider.com/barne...g-staff-2014-2
Quote:
Update: After posting this, Barnes & Noble told us that it did not eliminate its entire hardware department, but it declined to provide specifics.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
To me the Nook St hardware was the best engineered eink device by ergonomics available. It being rootable and able to run android made its built in software irrelevant to me. I am sad to see it die would have loved to see Android 4.4 KitKat device with similar ergonomics that would be the perfect device.
The latest version in white with no sd has made me look for some other manufacturer for my next device. But so far no one has come out with anything worth while. Maybe I should buy and keep Nook ST glowlight as a backup before it is unavailable in the wild.

Last edited by Dopedangel; 02-24-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I picked up a ST for $40 for the wife and a STG for myself for $60 last month when Best Buy had a sale on them. Some of the best money I ever spent, I love the thing.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
My girlfriend's going to be very sad about this development. She loves her Nook ST beyond words or even fonts (and she really does like fonts).

Then again, half the reason she feels that way is because she loves to say "my Nook," which I can appreciate. We need more e-readers with cozy-sounding names.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
I'm sad to see it go, too. I read primarily on my iPad, because it's convenient to carry one device that can meet several needs. But I picked up an ST last year for $50, NIB on eBay, primarily for sunlight use. I absolutely love it. It fits in my back pocket, weighs almost nothing, is great in bright locations, and won't kill me if it gets sandy or wet or otherwise damaged, since it was so cheap. Wouldn't want to read on my iPad around the pool. I shove the ST in my pocket, toss it in my bag, throw it in the back seat, etc. It's not treated gently.

I side load everything onto it, so it doesn't depend on a connection with B&N (although 90% of my book purchases are made at B&N since my two sisters and mother are also on my Nook account, and only load content directly from B&N). Hopefully, it will last for a while. Maybe I should pick up another one now, on a fire sale somewhere.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
I keep reading about concerns that Amazon will be the only provider in the US. Did I misunderstand something or do people just ignore Kobo? Their readers are great and in my opinion superior to Nooks and you can get books from numerous stores.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
I keep reading about concerns that Amazon will be the only provider in the US. Did I misunderstand something or do people just ignore Kobo? Their readers are great and in my opinion superior to Nooks and you can get books from numerous stores.
I don't know about ignore, but it is very hard to actually "see" a Kobo in person. In my part of the state, CT, I don't think you can actually view a new model Kobo in person before purchasing it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't know about ignore, but it is very hard to actually "see" a Kobo in person. In my part of the state, CT, I don't think you can actually view a new model Kobo in person before purchasing it.
This. I am very interested in Kobo, and would love to try one out. Unfortunately, there is nowhere within 50 miles of me where I can look at one, and I'm not going to order one direct from Kobo because if I don't like it, I won't be able to return it. Or am I wrong, and Kobo will accept a return if I decide that it's not for me? That's the best thing about Amazon, and the reason why I bought my first Kindle. I don't know that I would ever have bought one if I hadn't had the option to return it if I didn't like it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
Pretty much.
Because when it comes to mainstream buyers, Nook pretty much ignores the US.
No advertising.
Limited, obscure distribution channels; mostly online but sometimes not even then. (For a while you couldn't even buy off their website.)
Their parent company doesn't even feature them on their US portal.

Their most prominent channel is Best Buy but it is an on and off channel (on, this month) that seems to lose access to the most desirable models during the higher sales seasons, especially the critical holiday season.

People who buy Kobo are those who already know Kobo and are willing and able to go searching for it. (Pretty much the same as Sony.)

Treat the market as an afterthought and the market will treat you the same.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Pretty much.
Because when it comes to mainstream buyers, Nook pretty much ignores the US.
No advertising.
You meant to say Kobo, did you not?

Wasn't Kobo more visible to Americans in the days before Borders closed -- when people in the States could actually demo, buy and even exchange them if necessary?

Powell's still carries Kobo e-readers, so perhaps Oregonians are especially acquainted with the brand currently. I'm hoping that Powell's decides to carry the Aura and runs another Kobo-reader-with-cover sale next Christmas.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I purchased my Kobo Glo mainly based on reviews and specs and my father did the same with his Nook ST. I bet it's up to the seller whether you can return it or not but then again I don't know your situation. I thought the border to Canada is open...
Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #15
arturg
Zealot

Don't you have Best Buys in the states?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/glo-e-reader/2797891.p?id=1219077479424&skuId=2797891&st=catego ryid$pcmcat193100050014&cp=1&lp=7

"We can ship BestBuy.com orders to:​
The 50 US states
US Virgin Islands
Guam
APO/FPO military addresses"

Return and Exchange Policy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-top...at260800050014

Last edited by arturg; 02-26-2014 at 12:55 PM.