Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 AM   #1696
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I'm in the process of backing up my device right now (35% done), with the upgrade ready to roll out when that's done.
Do you use some special software for this backup, or rather copy some files from the device?
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 AM   #1697
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks, I learn new things every day.

As for backups, I too make backups when I'm doing something "risky".
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 04:49 AM   #1698
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by errenay View Post
Do you use some special software for this backup, or rather copy some files from the device?
None needed; the H2O shows up as a USB drive on my Windows box. (As have all my other Kobo readers.) Create a folder on my hard drive for the backup, open the H2O, select all, drag, drop, and watch the little progress bar do its thing.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #1699
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I always backup my H2O before installing anything. I just use Windows Explorer to copy the contents of my H2O to the computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 AM   #1700
albihermi
albihermi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
At last!

It seems that finally a new firmware is available for the GLO, see at http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.2.8432.zip.

Greatings
albihermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #1701
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by albihermi View Post
At last!

It seems that finally a new firmware is available for the GLO, see at http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.2.8432.zip.

Greatings
It seems that 4.2.8283 has been released for all Kobos except for the Mini.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #1702
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It seems that 4.2.8283
You mean 4.2.8432.

Quote:
has been released for all Kobos except for the Mini.
I think it was also releas for the mini.

Last edited by oren64; 02-15-2017 at 08:33 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #1703
albihermi
albihermi began at the beginning.

Hmm,

Nightmode 1.3 doesn´t work anymore with the new firmware, at least on my GLO (mark 4).

Good, that the one which frostschutz has linked (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...05&postcount=3), works fine.

Greetings

Last edited by albihermi; 02-15-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Ambiguous/bad Englisch, sorry.
albihermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #1704
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by albihermi View Post
Hmm,

Nightmode 1.3 doesn´t work anymore with the new firmware, at least on my GLO (mark 4).

Yet the one that frostschutz links (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...05&postcount=3) works fine.
You sound surprised that the version of this hack specifically created for the 4.2.x firmware works with the 4.2.x firmware. Any reason for that?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #1705
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You sound surprised that the version of this hack specifically created for the 4.2.x firmware works with the 4.2.x firmware. Any reason for that?
Should I be surprised? Yoq's nightmode still works for me on Touch and on Glo.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #1706
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I am disappointed that one of the 4.2 changes either removed the ability to type the "…" character directly, or hid the character where I can't find it. (I use that in searches sometimes.) The new look takes some getting used to, but I'm otherwise pretty okay with it.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #1707
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi guys,

I have always used only firmwares found on this forum and with each one I've tried month after month I've got the same problem with dictionnaries : when I choose a word in a book, the dictionnary opens the good page and I can read the definition, but after, if I choose a word IN the definition, my kobo doesn't find the definition... If I summarize : the search function only works from books and not from definitions...

Have you got the same problem ?

PS :
- sorry for my bad english I'm french.
- my device : a kobo Glo (no HD)

Last edited by akorx; 02-16-2017 at 05:45 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 AM   #1708
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Hi guys,

I have always used only firmwares found on this forum and with each one I've tried month after month I've got the same problem with dictionnaries : when I choose a word in a book, the dictionnary opens the good page and I can read the definition, but after, if I choose a word IN the definition, my kobo doesn't find the definition... If I summarize : the search function only works from books and not from definitions...

Have you got the same problem ?

PS :
- sorry for my bad english I'm french.
- my device : a kobo Glo (no HD)
I did not have exactly this problem. But I saw some related problems. One is that it was almost impossible to select a Japanese word in the the pop-up window. And therefore the search did not find anything or if it found something it was not the word you intended to ask for. I did not check recently, maybe this has improved.
The other problem is that when you searched a word in the pop-up window, the search was done in the English definition dictionary (probably depending on the selected user language). And it did not care whether you already selected a different language in the search you did before. This has improved with some of the more recent FWs.
As for your specific problem, is it possible that it occurs only with some languages, for instance French? Did you try if you see this problem with other languages too?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #1709
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi Tshering,

I think you are right when you say "... it did not care whether you already selected a different language in the search you did before." .

Indeed, I use a french dictionnary and at the first search all is ok, but at the 2nd I can see that it tries to open a translation dictionnary (that is not installed and I don't want to find a translation, only a definition) !

So we have identified a bug : the default dictionnary is not maintained during the 2nd search...

Is it just the result of a bad setting or a real bug ???

Developpers you've got a new challenge !

Last edited by akorx; 02-17-2017 at 05:40 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #1710
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
I think you are right when you say "... it did not care whether you already selected a different language in the search you did before." .

Indeed, I use a french dictionnary and at the first search all is ok, but at the 2nd I can see that it tries to open a translation dictionnary (that is not installed and I don't want to find a translation, only a definition) !

So we have identified a bug : the default dictionnary is not maintained during the 2nd search...

Is it just a bad setting or a real bug ???

Developpers you've got a new challenge !
I don't see this.

I just tested this with a German book. When I first did a dictionary lookup, it chose the Deutsch-English translation dictionary. That is probably a reasonable thing as the interface is English. When I selected a word from the popup, it looked up that word in English. I then looked up another word in the book and selected the Deutsch dictionary. When I selected a word in the popup, the Deutsch dictionary was still use.

Now, I thought that the the problem was that you were starting from French. That's why tested with German (and I happened to have a preview of a German book). The licensing for the French dictionary has been different from the others dictionaries. The licensing meant that you could not search for a word in the French dictionary. You could only look them up from a selection in the book. I thought this was causing the behaviour you described. But, that seems to no longer be the case. With 4.2.8432 on my Glo and Aura H2O, I can search the French dictionary and lookup from the dictionary popup. I don't have a device running anything older, so I cannot check how it used to work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote