Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #1681
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kido.resuri View Post
So updating H2O is considered safe now? I see that the firmware is only released as Beta for H2O.
You tried all of the other affiliates? And all possible geographical areas? I can find at least one affiliate here that gives me the download. And several that don't. There is lots of discussion on how Kobo release firmware, you might want to read it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #1682
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So updating H2O is considered safe now? I see that the firmware is only released as Beta for H2O.
Dunno about safe. Works for me.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #1683
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You tried all of the other affiliates? And all possible geographical areas? I can find at least one affiliate here that gives me the download. And several that don't. There is lots of discussion on how Kobo release firmware, you might want to read it.
Sure, I missed those discussions so far.
I'm using the official update link (https://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/UpgradeCheck/Device) used by the Kobo device to check the updates. Sure it may not be available in my geographical area for "Kobo" affiliate, but it is for "Beta". I haven't checked any other as I still don't know the others.

EDIT: I checked with FNAC affiliate, and it shows 4.2.8432 as the latest.

Last edited by kido.resuri; 02-10-2017 at 04:39 PM.
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #1684
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are OSX & Windows versions always at the same version?
No. The Mac and Windows versions have had different version numbers in the past. The current version for Windows that I have is 4.2.6122.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-10-2017 at 05:52 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #1685
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, I missed those discussions so far.
I'm using the official update link (https://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/UpgradeCheck/Device) used by the Kobo device to check the updates. Sure it may not be available in my geographical area for "Kobo" affiliate, but it is for "Beta". I haven't checked any other as I still don't know the others.

EDIT: I checked with FNAC affiliate, and it shows 4.2.8432 as the latest.
Apparently I misread your original post and reversed part of the meaning. But, the real answer is that if that API call responds with an update, then Kobo has released the update for the combination of affiliate, device, serial number (not used in most circumstances) and IP address. And it is safe to install the firmware on all devices of the same model as there are no differences between them around the world.
Advert
Old 02-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #1686
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Apparently I misread your original post and reversed part of the meaning. But, the real answer is that if that API call responds with an update, then Kobo has released the update for the combination of affiliate, device, serial number (not used in most circumstances) and IP address. And it is safe to install the firmware on all devices of the same model as there are no differences between them around the world.
Hmm. With that info, and verifying that the 4.2 update pops up for the FNAC affiliate and my model/serial number, I'll try it.

After making a full backup, of course.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #1687
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
But, the real answer is that if that API call responds with an update, then Kobo has released the update for the combination of affiliate, device, serial number (not used in most circumstances) and IP address.
Can anybody point me to some information / posts with guidelines how to use this API? I've tried to automatically update my Aura H20 (via wi-fi & sync), but the device haven't found a new firmware. Therefore, I'm not completely sure, if it is safe for me to use this new version 4.2.8432. Thank you in advance for your help.
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #1688
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by errenay View Post
Can anybody point me to some information / posts with guidelines how to use this API? I've tried to automatically update my Aura H20 (via wi-fi & sync), but the device haven't found a new firmware. Therefore, I'm not completely sure, if it is safe for me to use this new version 4.2.8432. Thank you in advance for your help.
Yes, it is safe. I've installed it on my H2O and it's working.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #1689
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Since I have the same model and just had to piece this together, I'll share:

https://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/UpgradeCheck/Device/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000370/Kobo/3.19.5761/N{redacted}

The bit with all the zeroes is the device code for the H2O, "Kobo" is the affiliate, the "3.19.5761" is your current firmware version, and the "N{redacted}" is your serial number. Do this properly, and the response will either be "None" (no update available) or the URLs of the release notes and the ZIP file containing the new firmware. The "Kobo" affiliate showed no update, but as noted above, changing that string to "FNAC" showed me 4.2. I downloaded the ZIP because I hate syncing, so I plan to completely back my device up before sideloading the update.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 02-11-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #1690
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Choose one of:
  • It is safe.
  • It is not safe.

Kobo devices are the same around the world. The firmware used is the same around the world. If a firmware is released for a model somewhere around the world, it will work for that model everywhere else. It's usually just a matter of time.

The release is staggered for a lot of reasons. From simply not overloading their servers, to doing a small sample to make sure there are no problems, to agreement with their affiliate about when firmware is made available. Kobo have withdrawn an update due to problems, and they have also released another update before it reached everyone.

So, it is up to you. The reason your device is not downloading the firmware is simply that Kobo hasn't reached your combination of device, affiliate and IP address. The serial number might come into play, but not for a normal update. If you want to manually update the device you can. Or change the affiliate to one that is already downloading the firmware and see what happens.

So, it is back to your choice from the two options presented at the start of this post.

And if you really want information on the API, do a search. Anyone posting links for you probably has to do that.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #1691
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
The "Kobo" affiliate showed no update, but as noted above, changing that string to "FNAC" showed me 4.2.
The same is for me - if "Kobo" is used, the answer is "None". Only "FNAC" gives a new firmware. BTW - I have also found this useful guideline. Thank you for your help!
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #1692
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
BTW - I have also found this useful guideline.
Yup, that's what I used - I just copied and pasted my results, since we're using the same model and I had the URL already assembled. I'm in the process of backing up my device right now (35% done), with the upgrade ready to roll out when that's done.

Oh, and because I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, that backup also includes cloning my KoboReader.sqlite database, both in the backup and on the device. That way, if anything goes wrong and my database gets corrupted during the update, I have a nice, fresh copy that I can access without even having to find the backup folder.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 02-11-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #1693
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I guess the update wipes the database and usb root anyhow, doesn't it?
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #1694
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I guess the update wipes the database and usb root anyhow, doesn't it?
No. A signout or factory reset wipes the database, a simple update does not though it often makes some changes in the database structure/tables.

I suspect Rev. Bob is simply allowing for the chance of something going very wrong. The old saw about the best way to not need a backup is having one comes to mind.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-11-2017 at 07:48 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #1695
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect Rev. Bob is simply allowing for the chance of something going very wrong. The old saw about the best way to not need a backup is having one comes to mind.
Quite right. By backing up the DB right before the update, I'm prepared if:

(1) The database gets munged during the update.
(2) There's an issue with the new firmware and I need to roll it back.
(3) The update fails for some reason and I don't know what state the database is in.
(4) Some other bizarre thing happens that I can't foresee, including but not limited to the reader getting bricked and requiring a complete down-to-the-metal wipe.

I think all of those have happened to me at one point or another. Since there were no issues and everything looks good, I'll most likely make a fresh backup and DB copy after I finish the book I'm reading. That way, instead of a final-old backup, I'll have an early-new backup - thus protecting me against any structural changes the update may have introduced.

In short, "when in doubt, back it up, preferably in at least a couple of places." I've had to rebuild my collections before; I do not wish to do so again.