Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #811
LenaWKindle
LenaWKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi all,

I am very very new to using Calibre beyond what it does freshly installed. I have the following put in the Save To Disk preference:

{author_sort}/{series:||/}{series} {series_index:re(^(\d)(\.|$),0\1\2)|| - }{title} - {authors:titlecase()}

It give me the Author's name (last, first), the book series (name - Series #) and then the book title. This works great EXCEPT on my Kindle (the new waterproof paperwhite - don't know the proper way to identify it) it doesn't seem to sort my books the way I think it should.

I have books in a series that are numbered:

and etc

On my Kindle I notice that it is putting the 2.5 book before the 2 and the 3.1 and 3.2 before the 3. I would like the series number to be saved like:

and etc.

I would like leading and trailing zeros in my series number. I am not sure how to do that. I thought it was doing it at one time...but not anymore.

Also on my metadata plugboard I have this in there:

{series}{series_index: re(^(\d)(\.|$),0\1\2)| #| – }{title}

Please help me make this work right. I am not looking to totally understand why it works. I have tried searching google, but either I am not searching using the right terms, or I am not understanding what I am finding.

Thanks in advance!
Lena
LenaWKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #812
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is easier. Let the regular fields do their thing (or template their part also)

I prepend the index to the title. I use the collection for {series}
and Author field is left AS IS

Code:
{series_index:0>5.2f|| - }{title}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #813
LenaWKindle
LenaWKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is easier. Let the regular fields do their thing (or template their part also)

Code:
Thank you!
LenaWKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #814
brainvision
Connoisseur
brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet, Kindle Paperwhite
hi there guys..

I have my comics and books with fields like: series (and series_index), series2 (and series2_index) and when saving to disk/device I would really like to achieve something like:

- if series is populated then {series}/{series_index:| [#|] }{title} - {authors}
- if series is empty but series2 is populated then {series2}/{series2_index:| [#|] }{title} - {authors}
- if both series bot series2 are populated always use series
- if both series both series2 are empty then just use {title} - {authors}

I think it should be possible using the program feature so I tried to read stuff and follow examples from the Help section but I was never able to do it..
so I would like to ask if you have any advice for me please..

thanks a lot
brainvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #815
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I finally figured out a nicer way of uploading series first.

I have always used:

{series}{series_index:| [|] }{title}

A Court of Thorns and Roses [1] A Court of Thorns and Roses
A Court of Thorns and Roses [2] A Court of Mist and Fury
A Court of Thorns and Roses [3] A Court of Wings and Ruin

Which does line up the series nicely, but the results are kind of bocky.

I fiddled around and ended up with:

{series}{series_index:|, #| - }{title}

A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1 - A Court of Thorns and Roses
A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2 - A Court of Mist and Fury
A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3 - A Court of Wings and Ruin
A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.10 - A Court of Frost and Starlight

I think it's nicer. I just need to re-add those stripped series columns. I'm just bummed that all my uploaded books some 1500 already have the old format.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #816
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Code:
Ok that's much better. I have a question. I have been modifying the titles to the books with the series, index and title, so that when they convert the .mobi file uploads to Amazon with that title being set. The only problem is that as soon as I upload it, I reset the title to the original version so that my library isn't messed up. I kick the converted books to their own library.

I created a second title column. If I template that formula to fill that second title, and leave the actual title alone, is it possible to convert the book and have that second title be the real title?

I am desperate for a way to keep the original titles, but have Amazon see the books in the formulas above.

I do have a small standalone .exe .mobi file editor that I can use to change the title after conversion. It's just a hassle to do it. I think I got it from Github

Last edited by Rellwood; 09-28-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added some info
Old 09-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #817
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@Rellwood: Are you sending to Amazon (to Kindle's email address?) mobi type "both" (in order to get KF8/azw3 file delivered to your Kindle) or mobi type "old"?

If you're using plain old mobi then you can just use metadata plugboard template which targets format "mobi" and device "email" (instead of the usual "kindle2") to change the title metadata. Then you just send the book using Calibre (Connect/Share > Email to xyz@kindle.com) and plugboards rule will do the title change for you.
No need to "mangle" title metadata for "master copy" file inside Calibre library and revert the changes after sending the book to "cloud".

IIRC Calibre still doesn't do correct job when editing metadata for mobi type "both"( aka "combo" aka "dual mobi") files so you can't use that approach if you're converting to mobi type "both" and sending that...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #818
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@Rellwood: Are you sending to Amazon (to Kindle's email address?) mobi type "both" (in order to get KF8/azw3 file delivered to your Kindle) or mobi type "old"?

If you're using plain old mobi then you can just use metadata plugboard template which targets format "mobi" and device "email" (instead of the usual "kindle2") to change the title metadata. Then you just send the book using Calibre (Connect/Share > Email to xyz@kindle.com) and plugboards rule will do the title change for you.
No need to "mangle" title metadata for "master copy" file inside Calibre library and revert the changes after sending the book to "cloud".

IIRC Calibre still doesn't do correct job when editing metadata for mobi type "both"( aka "combo" aka "dual mobi") files so you can't use that approach if you're converting to mobi type "both" and sending that...

I'm sending it "old", through the email to kindle. So, plug boards don't help in this case. I don't think I can get the .azw3 to show mail. I always convert to .mobi and then send. I don't send through Calibre, but the Send to Kindle app. Sending through Calibre takes too long, until I figure out how to keep it from taking 500 seconds between emails. (I'm sure I can do it, but I haven't done it yet)

As far as being able to use the plugboard to send to kindle without mangling the titles, I am a bummed to have not known this before now, before I have added some 1600 books to Kindle and have meticulously set them into their proper cloud collections...

Last edited by Rellwood; 10-04-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:34 AM   #819
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I don't send through Calibre, but the Send to Kindle app. Sending through Calibre takes too long, until I figure out how to keep it from taking 500 seconds between emails. (I'm sure I can do it, but I haven't done it yet)
1)Calibre > Preferences> Tweaks (under "Advanced" section)
2) type "seconds" into "search for tweak" to find the tweak you need to change. Change the value for "public_smtp_relay_delay". Done.

Then you can use metadata plugboards rule for "email" device & send emails via Calibre.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #820
Rellwood

Quote:
2) type "seconds" into "search for tweak" to find the tweak you need to change. Change the value for "public_smtp_relay_delay". Done.

Then you can use metadata plugboards rule for "email" device & send emails via Calibre.
Great!, Now, do I delete the books I already have, or should I just start from now?

My biggest problem has been matching the books on my device with the books in the library since the titles have been mangled. My library has the correct titles, but the books on the device are set the way I have them series first. Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #821
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Move the series column to before the title column?

Or create a custom column that mimic the name on the device?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #822
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Move the series column to before the title column?

Or create a custom column that mimic the name on the device?
I have the custom column, but Calibre uses the title/author to determine if a book on the device matches with the booklist.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #823
Rellwood

Quote:

What do I change the value to?

I ask because I just changed it to "NONE" and basically broke Calibre. The Python quit and I have to go in and manually edit the tweaks file in the app data to get it to start.

Nevermind. "0"

Last edited by Rellwood; 10-06-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: fixed problem
Old 10-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #824
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I have the custom column, but Calibre uses the title/author to determine if a book on the device matches with the booklist.
Why do you need/want to use calibre to match books on your device with a book list? And how do you do it?

Where does the book list come from? Can't the entries in the book list be made to match the books on the device?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #825
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Why do you need/want to use calibre to match books on your device with a book list? And how do you do it?

Where does the book list come from? Can't the entries in the book list be made to match the books on the device?

I think I might not have been clear when I said book list. I meant the library view in Calibre. When I plug my reader in, the books won't match up with the ones in Calibre because of the title changes.

Tags
custom column, tag, tags