Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2024, 04:38 AM   #1
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.00 & Kindle 2.
What do I do with my Mobi files now?

Hi I have 4,000 books in calibre
Most of them I converted over the years to Mobi and also EPub.

However the mobis are taking up a lot of space on my pc hard drive.

Only need a few mobis to add to my old 2nd Gen Kindle.
As mostly read epubs on my android tablet.

Any advice welcome to move them somewhere else without messing up my Calibre settings?
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:45 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
In general, eBook files don't usuallytake up that much space unless there's a lot of images in them. Polish Books has an option to compress images, but only for ePub/AZW3.

You can run a Save to Disk > Save single format to disk and just stick them on an external drive.

Or just delete the formats you don't need anymore. You can re-convert later.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-17-2024 at 04:48 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:48 AM   #3
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
In general, eBook files don't usuallytake up that much space unless there's a lot of images in them. Polish Books has an option to compress images, but only for ePub/AZW3.

You can run a Save to Disk > Save single format to disk and just stick them on an external drive.

Or just delete the formats you don't need anymore. You can re-convert later.
Thought about doing a save to disc.
But dont really understand how
Plus does Calibre understand I have done that? So I delete them in calibre afterwards?
Seems very complicated to me Sorry

Plus...
But in the meta data box I have always typed in Epub Mobi
So it would look messy if just EPub lol.

My Calibre Books are 14GB and growing

Suppose I hould live with it lol

But I back them up to an External too and it takes ages to save files I no longer want also.

Last edited by MRM66; 03-17-2024 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:06 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
Thought about doing a save to disc.
But dont really understand how
Plus does Calibre understand I have done that? So I delete them in calibre afterwards?
Seems very complicated to me Sorry

Plus...
But in the meta data box I have always typed in Epub Mobi
So it would look messy if just EPub lol.

My Calibre Books are 14GB and growing

Suppose I hould live with it lol

But I back them up to an External too and it takes ages to save files I no longer want also.
Use FreeFileSync to backup your calibre library. After the first run, it will only backup what's new or changed and delete anything fromt he backup that you've deleted. It's an excellent program.

https://freefilesync.org
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:43 AM   #5
MRM66
Connoisseur

Thanks but...Not confident doing that.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Remember when 14Meg was a huge drive?

You should already be doing backups (external drive)

Create a New (empty) Library FOLDER on the external drive.
Right click the Library Icon: Switch/Create Library:

Then Switch back to your current library: Select book: Copy to Library (delete after copy)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mult.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	206970  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
Thanks but...Not confident doing that.
There's nothing to be scared of. FreeFileSync is very easy to use and you only have to do a one-way sync from your library to the backup.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:09 AM   #8
MRM66
Connoisseur

Still not sure. But think I will keep the Mobi I have and just convert my new books to EPub only
Will save on spac
Thanks for the help
But will thinkof freefile sync at a later date
Old 03-20-2024, 12:25 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have been converting all my mobi files into azw3 for some time as I have more font options and all but my Nook read those. You can choose epub if you have say a Kobo or Nook or something that reads them. When I'm on hold (frequently 30 minutes or more for medical stuff), I check files and delete the mobi version.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:41 PM   #10
MRM66
Connoisseur

I just really need epubs now.
As Read on my very old kindle when it's sunny but mostly on my Samsung 8 tab.
I suppose I could delete a few mobis occasionally when I am editing my calibre.
But I would have to edit the file type one each one as well. I like neatness.