Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 09-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
riki
riki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
(Solved) Scrolling without losing my place

When reading a book via Calibre's viewer, I usually scroll down by whole pages (PgDown key). This scrolls down by a whole screenful, which is perfect, as the next line to be read now sits conveniently at the top of the reader window. This makes it easy to keep my place.

However, when there is less than one page left to the end of the section/chapter, the end of the chapter is made flush with the bottom of the viewer window. As a result, the first line of the new virtual pages happens to land in a random place in the viewer window (where exactly depends on how far the end of the chapter is). Therefore, I have to scan the window to locate where the next line to be read is. This is a bit distracting, as it breaks reading continuity.

Is there any workaround to make sure that when scrolling down, the first line of the new page always ends up at the top of the viewer window?

Last edited by riki; 09-05-2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Adding SOLVED tag to title
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
That does not happen for me. I see the expected partial pages at the end of chapters in the calibre viewer.

Added: It works for me in paged mode. I didn’t pick up on the question being about scrolling mode.

Last edited by jhowell; 09-04-2020 at 08:32 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use paged mode (the default) rather than flow mode in the reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
riki
riki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
@jhowell, @kovidgoyal, thanks for the quick reply! I'd switched to flow mode without noticing. Problem solved
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
I'd switched to flow mode without noticing.
This has happened to to me when I've inadvertently hit the shortcut Ctrl+M, I changed it to Shift+Alt+M so I'm less like to do it.

But, IMO the viewer needs an explicit indication of its current mode - Flow or Paged. For me the scroll icon has never been adequate. The subtle change when it was clicked in the old viewer was meaningless to me, and when it's clicked in the new toolbar I can't discern any change in its appearance.

My preference would be an option to put the current Mode in the header/footer as "Flow" or "Paged". Or use alternating icons in the toolbar that represent the words "Flow" and "Paged".

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flow.png
Views:	178
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	181787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paged.png
Views:	177
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	181788  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote