Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
stdedos
stdedos began at the beginning.

Device: Mobiscribe
Show the old-style reader

I preferred the reader layout used in 3.46.0 - with all the buttons showed, page numbers, etc.
I also don't like that so much nested, making quick navigation and tinkering complicated.

Is there a way to stay on 4.20.0, but get the old look&feel? (even if that means getting the old icons or downright downgrading)
stdedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stdedos View Post
I preferred the reader layout used in 3.46.0 - with all the buttons showed, page numbers, etc.
I also don't like that so much nested, making quick navigation and tinkering complicated.

Is there a way to stay on 4.20.0, but get the old look&feel? (even if that means getting the old icons or downright downgrading)
See screenshots:

bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-28 11-23-56.png
Views:	299
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	180765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-28 11-24-21.png
Views:	290
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	180766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-28 11-24-51.png
Views:	291
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	180767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-28 11-22-48.png
Views:	288
Size:	544.6 KB
ID:	180768  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:

If you're unable to get ebook-viewer the way you like, you can download Calibre Portable 3.48 and use that (either with the "open with" plugin or these directions). I did that for a while.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-19-2020 at 11:14 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you're unable to get ebook-viewer the way you like, you can download Calibre Portable 3.48 and use that (either with the "open with" plugin or these directions). I did that for a while.
The solution is in post #2 of this thread. The thing is, it's not good idea to try to keep using the viewer from 3.48.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
stdedos

Indeed #2 seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Thank you :-D

And I agree with JSWolf - 3.48 is old enough version.
It is generally a good idea to update your software, as long as it does not interfere too much with the UI you like.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
rpresser
rpresser has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ebookwise1150, Treo 600
I use a Windows laptop connected to a USB-C hub that provides two external monitors. QT does not support this graphics setup. It does fine on the internal laptop monitor, but I am not going to give up my external monitors, nor am I going to switch from using the USB-C hub to using the internal HDMI port. It is simply far too convenient to be able to take my laptop with me and reconnect it a single cable when I get home.

Using --disable-gpu does nothing. I have verified three times that the environment variable is present within all running calibre processes, yet the viewer window stubbornly remains blank.

If there is movement towards making all of Calibre dependent upon QT, I fear this will suffer the same problem as the viewer, and the entire app will be thoroughly unusable on my external monitors. Please tell me this is not a planned change.

I am going to use the 3.48 portable viewer.
rpresser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Indeed #2 seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Thank you :-D

And I agree with JSWolf - 3.48 is old enough version.
It is generally a good idea to update your software, as long as it does not interfere too much with the UI you like.
Sometimes you have to deal with an updated UI in order to get the features you need like support for a newer Reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
rpresser

If the updated UI is completely incompatible with my hardware, using it is not an option, and the features you claim I need are thoroughly unavailable anyhow.

USB-C hubs are not alien technology. They are popular, useful tools that have a growing acceptance. For QT to not support them is a very bad decision. I realize it's not the fault of the calibre team that QT doesn't support them. But deliberately excluding an audience by choosing software tools that are known to be incompatible is another bad decision.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
rpresser

This blank-window bug was reported to the QT team two years ago.
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBU...hmentOrder=asc

It has not been closed.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpresser View Post
I use a Windows laptop connected to a USB-C hub that provides two external monitors. QT does not support this graphics setup. It does fine on the internal laptop monitor, but I am not going to give up my external monitors, nor am I going to switch from using the USB-C hub to using the internal HDMI port. It is simply far too convenient to be able to take my laptop with me and reconnect it a single cable when I get home.

Using --disable-gpu does nothing. I have verified three times that the environment variable is present within all running calibre processes, yet the viewer window stubbornly remains blank.

If there is movement towards making all of Calibre dependent upon QT, I fear this will suffer the same problem as the viewer, and the entire app will be thoroughly unusable on my external monitors. Please tell me this is not a planned change.

I am going to use the 3.48 portable viewer.
I use 2 USB2 Graphics (DisplayLink type) adapters (1920x1080) with Calibre viewer, all the time (W10 v 2004)
FWIW my mainboard stopped playing nice with the graphics slot , so I just use my monitors via USB: Slower, but I just normally edit files)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #11
stdedos

I hate to be the pedantic guy - but please don't pollute threads with irrelevant posts.

I am sorry it's not working for you, and I still prefer the old UI (even with the workaround); however, as it is said already: sometimes updates need to happen for feature or security reasons.

I only hope that the maintainer(s) really weighted their options and user feedback to account for the "somewhat drastic" change in the UI.