Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Question Clearing the calibre e-book viewer memory?

Update of update: Nope, the problem is back. Same stupid subfolder is opening when I ask for it to look for a book. UGH!!

UPDATE: I think I discovered the issue: I cleared the file history and that seems to have fixed the issue - at least for right now. Oddly enough, that particular file/folder didn't appear in the history. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Quote:
Hi!! I've noticed that when I open the calibre e-book viewer as a standalone program and click the "open book from your computer" button (on latest version updated today), it opens the same subfolder of a master folder no matter what folder I'd opened before.

For example, if I click the button it'll open up "Fiction>Ernest Hemingway>The sun also rises" even if I've opened up "Fiction>Herman Mellville>Moby Dick" or something else. All the time. Is there a way to clear it from doing it and have it open up just the "Fiction" master folder?

Thank you!

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 07-23-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added new info
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You are using the built in viewer to look at books outside the Library structure?
(Legal) It is just that your top level is not a normal path (unless your Library is named Fiction)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi! I'm using it to look at books inside my library, I just don't want to use the Calibre interface to find it.

The problem is not fixed, it's still opening up the same subfolder as the first time. I guess it was just temporarily cleared
Old 07-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On Windows 10 1909

If I start the viewer, and clear the list in the viewer, and then click the the open book icon I am presented with my virtual 'home directory', which is as useful as an ashtray on a bike - but I think that's Windows at work.

IMO - it's much easier to navigate to the book in Windows File Explorer and open it in the viewer from there. You might want to pin the Fiction library to File Explorer's quick access list.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Hi! I'm using it to look at books inside my library, I just don't want to use the Calibre interface to find it.

The problem is not fixed, it's still opening up the same subfolder as the first time. I guess it was just temporarily cleared
I had a lot of left over viewer settings from older Calibre: (there was an error if I tried to look for books to view)
I moved them (viewer*.*, but not the folder with that name which holds annotations) to a BAK folder just in case there was issues... Not noticed

The first time I started, it ask what to view (and when I click the button and go to a book, it views it) There is no "folder" shown until I click the button, But it does remember the last folder visited. That is fairly normal: Last used folder.

The next time, I see the book on the recent list AND there is now a button at the bottom to clear the list (which works).
Any possibility that you are/have now removing a book that was on the list?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
IMO - it's much easier to navigate to the book in Windows File Explorer and open it in the viewer from there. You might want to pin the Fiction library to File Explorer's quick access list.

BR
On Windows, I use Everything to search an ePub title when I don't feel like launching it from Calibre (mostly when I don't want Job Spy to update the #lastread column).
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
VirgoGirl

OKay, so I don't get email notifications from this site for some reason, I had no idea there were responses.

I re-imported the book into calibre, now when I open the reader it opens the subfolder of the main folder, i.e. "Fiction> Ernest Hemingway" instead of "Fiction>Ernest Hemingway>The Sun also Rises", even if I've already opened 20 other things. I'll have to live with it, I just can't deal with more computer issues right now.

TheDucks: I can clear all my books, it just won't clear the memory of THAT folder or book.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 07-25-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is fairly normal: Last used folder.

I just went to the ebook viewer to check the preferences, I don't have that option anymore to check or uncheck "last used folder". It's the newest version of the program, I don't remember if it had been an option before.

It just seems to be stuck on that one folder. I mean, I could rename all of that author's books with a new author name, but that IS the author's name so I dunno. I really think I'll just have to live with it until it slowly eats me alive from the inside.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 07-25-2020 at 12:05 PM.