Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #181
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Over at downpour.com, you can currently get any audiobook for $6.95. Just use code ANY695 at checkout. I don't know how long this will last. As always, all titles are DRM-free.

skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
I notice the site is IP checking now which it didn't used to
Easily circumvented but annoying just the same
I purchased Edge of Dark Water by Joe Lansdale
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #182
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Over at downpour.com, you can currently get any audiobook for $6.95. Just use code ANY695 at checkout. I don't know how long this will last. As always, all titles are DRM-free.
Thanks for posting this. It's been added to the OP.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #183
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This offer is another attempt to get new members, but worse than the previous offer. The old plan netted you two audiobooks for $14.99 ($14.99 + 1 free) for the first month. The new plan nets you two audiobooks for $19.94 ($12.99 + $6.95) for the first month.

These joining offers are getting worse. $9.99 for 2, then $14.99 for two, and now $19.94 for two. At least they lowered the monthly membership. If you have no intention of joining, this is a great offer. If you intend to join, it's worse than the previous one.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #184
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Especially since Audible has a much better selection.
Most definitely. Audible has 100,000+ titles and Downpour only has 17,098 titles.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #185
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Thanks. I just got The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett.

As for Audible being the better deal: yes and no. I've got a Downpour subscription in addition to my Audible subscription (I listen to audiobooks a lot) because I think they offer the better value for my money. No DRM, so I am willing to pay a slightly higher price. Despite the limited selection, my wish list is filled with books for more than a year. I was lucky to find some stuff from my Audible wish list and also a couple of books Audible.de doesn't offer.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #186
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

New Deal of the Week from Downpour:

Quote:
A modern-day take on Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle

With reality, humor, and a message about corporate greed, veteran filmmaker Ruth Ozeki weaves together the story of two women a world apart. Jane, a struggling filmmaker in New York, is given her big break, a chance to travel through the United States to produce a Japanese television program sponsored by an American meat-exporting business. But along the way, she discovers some unsavory truths about love, honor, and a particularly damaging hormone called DES that wreaks havoc with her uterus. Meanwhile, Akiko, a painfully thin Japanese woman struggling with bulimia, is being pressured by her child-craving husband to put some meat on her bones, literally. How Jane’s and Akiko’s lives intersect in wacky cross-cultural collisions provides romance, humor, intrigue, and even a muckraking message about questionable meat and the homogenization of America.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #187
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Between Easter in March and the election of a new pope, it seems Tantor is in a particularly religious mood. Their free offering this month is "The Confessions of St. Augustine," and can be found here. Most of the time Tantor will keep a free title until the end of the month, but if you are interested don't delay. As always Tantor titles are DRM-free.

In addition, Tantor has a long list of titles currently at $6.99 (their "March Madness" sale), and all of the Tantor titles nominated for the 2012 Audie awards are discounted to 50% off. Great deals abound.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #188
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Between Easter in March and the election of a new pope, it seems Tantor is in a particularly religious mood. Their free offering this month is "The Confessions of St. Augustine," and can be found here. Most of the time Tantor will keep a free title until the end of the month, but if you are interested don't delay. As always Tantor titles are DRM-free.
Thanks for the tip. It's been added to the OP.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #189
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

"The Da Vinci Code" is $0.99 at Audible after you purchase the free Kindle version.

Whispersync for Voice -- Dan Brown's Robert Langdon Series
  • Angels & Demons (2000) -- Kindle= $8.51 ---> $9.49 / Whispersync= $4.99
  • The Da Vinci Code (2003) -- Kindle= $0.00 / Whispersync= $0.99 ---> $15.49
  • The Lost Symbol (2009) -- Kindle= $9.99 / Whispersync= not available
  • Inferno (2013) -- Kindle= $14.99 / Whispersync= not available
To promote Dan Brown's next novel in this series - "Inferno"; Doubleday is giving away the ebook version of "The Da Vinci Code". It's available at all of the major ebook stores until 24 Mar. Included in this free version will be the prologue and first chapter of Brown's new novel, the "Inferno".

Thanks for the tip, bookratt

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-25-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #190
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
If you own The Hangman's Daughter series by Oliver Pötzsch (recently on sale) you can get the Audible versions for $1.99 each.

http://www.audible.com/search/ref=sr...3895106&sr=1-1
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #191
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Today's Free App of the Day at Amazon is:

Quote:
The Croods Movie Storybook transports fans back in time to tell the story of the first family road trip. Grug leads his caveman family, the Croods, on a perilous adventure across harsh terrain as they try to outrace cataclysmic events. Can Grug do it alone, or will the Croods require the help of Guy, a brave outsider? Join Grug, Ugga, Eep, Guy, Thunk, Sandy, Gran, and a cast of prehistoric creatures to find out if they can survive the journey–and each other!

The storybook features Auto Play, Read To Me, and Read To Myself narration options, as well as genuine character audio from the film.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-25-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #192
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Thumbs up! I just picked up Mike Resnicks Birthright... And just in time, finishing What Would Google Do by Jeff Jarvis at the moment (It wasn't especially good..)

On a second note, this being my second audio book from Downpour.. Is anyone else having download problems using that site? Usually takes 5-10 tries before sucessfully downloading any file. They seem too stall most of the time.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #193
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
On a second note, this being my second audio book from Downpour.. Is anyone else having download problems using that site? Usually takes 5-10 tries before sucessfully downloading any file. They seem too stall most of the time.
I've had no problems downloading MP3 zip files from them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #194
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've had no problems downloading MP3 zip files from them.
I prefer the m4b files but have no problem either once the books are in my library. My problems with the site were of a different nature, it wouldn't let me check out at several occasions because their geo-restrictions weren't working properly.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #195
semillon
Enthusiast
semillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad
Audible seems to be running an unadvertised series sale. Books in the sale series are priced at $6.95. I can't find any details, but I have found the following series with the "Series Sale" flag and the sale price. There may be others, so check your wish lists.

I don't have any idea how long this might last or in what regions they might work. Hopefully I am not the only one seeing these.

SCIENCE FICTION/FANTASY

Night Angel Trilogy By Brent Weeks

Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris

The Takeshi Kovacs Trilogy by Richard K. Morgan (The series link is broken on this one. You either have to search for the books or the series manually.) Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, & Woken Furies

Monster Hunter by Larry Correia

Honor Harrington by David Weber

Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson

MYSTERY/THRILLER

Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes by Laurie R. King

Walt Longmire by Craig Johnson

ROMANCE

Huxtable by Mary Balogh

McCabe by Maya Banks

Trap Trilogy by Tracy Ann Warren

TEEN