Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-17-2024, 08:02 AM   #1
tarektaha
Enthusiast
tarektaha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Reached 234K Books - Old Books Start to Disappear

I am currently at 234K books in one library..

I have no issues with speed or viewing or searching. But recently I started seeing more books "vanishing" from the library.

The book record is still in Calibre but no cover and the folder (Apologizes What I meant is the File disappeared from the folder) has totally disappeared. Is this something related to size or count of books? Noticed that it is impacting old books in the library. Or could it be something else?

This is the view for books that have issues in the range of 100

Also is there anyway to find similar books? as searching for books without a cover will NOT show those books. I can only find them by scrolling through the library.

Last edited by tarektaha; 03-18-2024 at 05:57 AM.
tarektaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use the check library function to check the state of your library under library maintenance in the menu that comes when you click th elibrary button in the main calibre window toolbar.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2024, 08:10 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarektaha View Post
But recently I started seeing more books "vanishing" from the library.

The book record is still in Calibre but no cover and the folder has totally disappeared. Is this something related to size or count of books? Noticed that it is impacting old books in the library. Or could it be something else?

Also is there anyway to find similar books? as searching for books without a cover will NOT show those books. I can only find them by scrolling through the library.
Something is really wrong here. Is your library on a cloud or a network drive? Is something syncing the library folder to the cloud? Those are the usual culprits in such cases.

If the entire book folder is missing, then the only way to find such books is to run Library Maintenance -> Check library.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:14 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You ain't close

Have you read the official FAQ ( Everyone should... really. to avoid issues that hurt) ?

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ive-nashttp://

or just using a share (2 instances accessing the same library).

Cleanup apps that remove old files SUPER DANGEROUS for the run and just click folk
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:29 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One acquaintance has ~500K books in their library. A mix of public domain and corporate documents. So far, they have had no issues with books/covers disappearing so I would say that it is not an issue with library size.

The first question that comes to mind is where your library is being stored. If it is not on local media, that is the most likely explanation for your issue. See I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS? in the calibre FAQs.

As for checking for books with no cover, you can use the Quality Check plugin's Check Covers option with No cover selected.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2024, 05:53 AM   #6
tarektaha
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Something is really wrong here. Is your library on a cloud or a network drive? Is something syncing the library folder to the cloud? Those are the usual culprits in such cases.

Not cloud.. Local

If the entire book folder is missing, then the only way to find such books is to run Library Maintenance -> Check library.
Will check it thank you
Old 03-18-2024, 05:55 AM   #7
tarektaha
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One acquaintance has ~500K books in their library. A mix of public domain and corporate documents. So far, they have had no issues with books/covers disappearing so I would say that it is not an issue with library size.

The first question that comes to mind is where your library is being stored. If it is not on local media, that is the most likely explanation for your issue. See I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS? in the calibre FAQs.

As for checking for books with no cover, you can use the Quality Check plugin's Check Covers option with No cover selected.

As for checking for books with no cover, you can use the Quality Check plugin's Check Covers option with No cover selected. They don't get dedicated by the Quality Check plug in

Its locally stored
Old 03-18-2024, 06:14 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
. . .

Cleanup apps that remove old files SUPER DANGEROUS for the run and just click folk
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

That's where I'd place my opening bet.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:24 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Calibre (details or Grid) view uses cover.jpg from the book folder.

Why that is gone and not the book???
Some Stupid app thinks these are DUPLICATES since they all have the same name (and I expect the size is similar)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Calibre (details or Grid) view uses cover.jpg from the book folder.

Why that is gone and not the book???
Some Stupid app thinks these are DUPLICATES since they all have the same name (and I expect the size is similar)
The OP tagged the current Book "!!Missing Book", that suggests to me the entire book folder has gone AWOL, not just the cover.

BR
Old 03-18-2024, 07:16 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The OP tagged the current Book "!!Missing Book", that suggests to me the entire book folder has gone AWOL, not just the cover.

BR
If the library is not connected to a network drive or a cloud, then that is really weird. About the only explanation I can think of is indeed something deleting old/unused files.

OP, are you absolutely sure the library folder is 100% local and not connected to any cloud syncing whatsoever? Some users have their library folder in Documents, and on a Windows computer this might mean OneDrive is syncing the whole Documents folder in the background. That's the default setting on Windows 10 and 11, I believe.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:14 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
Looking at the original post:

Code:
The book record is still in Calibre but no cover and the folder (Apologizes What I meant is the File disappeared from the folder) has totally disappeared.
I read that as the calibre database still has the book record but the cover and book files have disappeared from the book folder.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:23 PM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If you're on Windows, could you have accidentally activated the OneDrive backup? Windows is getting naggier about that.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-18-2024 at 07:29 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:50 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you're on Windows, could you have accidentally activated the OneDrive backup? Windows is getting naggier about that.
I use OneDrive synch for disaster recovery backup. I have files there with file create/mod dates in the early eighties. They've been synching to the MS cloud for 15+ years, when OneDrive was Skydrive.

Not lost a single file.

BR
Old 03-18-2024, 09:00 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I thought of it mostly because a few members on a Sims 2 forum recently had trouble with it screwing up their saves.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-18-2024 at 09:03 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote